Author Topic: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago  (Read 24854 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:15 AM »
I was thinking that, precisely. Money to help Harry to keep a dignified status. Not money for the sake of it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 04:26:38 AM »
I was thinking that, precisely. Money to help Harry to keep a dignified status. Not money for the sake of it.

Yeah, from the beginning Harry made it very clear that he wasn't into money or the trappings and comfort money could bring him by choice.  I don't remember the exact quote, but he repeated variations versions of how if he wanted he could use his talent to gain material goods and wealth.  No, he was content and comfortable in his dingy basement apartment decorated in early Salvation Army and Good Will with a book case full of worn paperbacks.   Some of this attitude might change now
that he has a child to support,  but it will be for hercomfort and security, not his own.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 04:27:44 AM »

I like the idea....  But this would mean Jim was making things nicer for Harry..  Sooo

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 04:38:53 AM »
Precisely why I said he won't keep the diamonds. I suppose he will get a home for his daughter and him, but the rest, he will lose it somehow.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:06 AM »
Precisely why I said he won't keep the diamonds. I suppose he will get a home for his daughter and him, but the rest, he will lose it somehow.

Well going against what I said in my previous post, Harry may get some nice things because Jim knows it's going to get much worse later on lol.  I actually remember Jim saying something like some of what Harry experiences are based on what Jim has experienced and that because he has more money, so does Harry. 

I don't remember exactly how he put it, but that's what came across.  He also said something I think inferred that he may lose the money some how.  He jokes a lot about the cost of his son's college tuition.  Maybe Maggie's private supernatural school she's going to attend is very very expensive.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:06:03 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
What I remember is what I posted before.  With more money will come more aggressive and resourced opponents, meaning he will need every dime those diamonds get him and the things that he can get from it.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
His early potions were deceptively effective, some of the lesser used and/or not maintained designed could have become a lot more effective with continued development (the Bear Belt chi storage, the Murphionic Suppression charm, etc), unfortunately he always had to prioritized his combat gear over broader research.
The speedy getaway is combat gear, as well as the chi storage. I never understood why he only used them once.
Still, from a certain prespective, being magically tapped out is central to most, if not all, of the books, so having a chi storage handy everytime, even if it makes logical sense, would make it too easy for Harry.
What I remember is what I posted before.  With more money will come more aggressive and resourced opponents,
Um... I think that would be impossible. The resourced part at least. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Interesting bit about his gadgets. I can absolutely picture Harry and Maggie working together on daddy-daughter art projects on the weekends. Instead of building a bird feeder out of pinecones and peanut butter, they'll make "friendship bracelets" that prevent ghost possession, stop bullets, and provide the recommended daily dose of Vitamin C.

The whole time, energy, and love thing fits. Harry loves magic. He thinks it's pretty rad, for it's own sake. While some of his Council superiors might have the ability to make things as B/A as his duster (which I can no longer think about without conjuring multiple scenes from It's Always Sunny) or his amped up Shield Bracelet Mark 2, they might not have the inclination to bother; Luccio, for example, doesn't seem to need a focus to shoot the next best thing to a laser.

I do find it interesting that the three younger Wizards (not including Molly) we've spent the most time with—Ramirez, Harry, and Elaine—have all used extremely intricate foci to do some pretty awesome things. Ramirez's gauntlet, Elaine's earring/ring/lightning chain, Harry's everything, etc. The Merlin was shown to carry a wand, and a tactical belt full of potions and other knicknacks, but other than that and Eb's stumpy staff, I can't recall any of the Senior Council using any foci of their own (not counting the Blackstaff for obvious reasons).

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
I'll take my morsels and nuggets of info anyway I can get them.
Word

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »
I do find it interesting that the three younger Wizards (not including Molly) we've spent the most time with—Ramirez, Harry, and Elaine—have all used extremely intricate foci to do some pretty awesome things. Ramirez's gauntlet, Elaine's earring/ring/lightning chain, Harry's everything, etc. The Merlin was shown to carry a wand, and a tactical belt full of potions and other knicknacks, but other than that and Eb's stumpy staff, I can't recall any of the Senior Council using any foci of their own (not counting the Blackstaff for obvious reasons).

I don't think we can judge the gadgets of the Senior Council yet. We have not really seen them in as many varied situations as we have seen Harry which would necessitate the use of different foci. Since a foci could be anything (example silver buttons on a coat), we may have seen foci already and not been clued into their use. We will probably get a better glimpse of the Senior Council and their gadgets as the BAT approaches.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
Maybe Maggie's private supernatural school she's going to attend is very very expensive.

*cough* Ilvermorny *cough*

Word

...of Kemmler?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
*cough* Ilvermorny *cough*
Nope, Maggie's school is far less xenophobic, no Human-Only segregation
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:22 PM »
I don't think we can judge the gadgets of the Senior Council yet. We have not really seen them in as many varied situations as we have seen Harry which would necessitate the use of different foci. Since a foci could be anything (example silver buttons on a coat), we may have seen foci already and not been clued into their use. We will probably get a better glimpse of the Senior Council and their gadgets as the BAT approaches.

I'd be very, very interested in that. I want to see Ebenezer actually try.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
*rolls eyes at the supernatural school idea and at Maggie in general*
Missing you, Md 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »
*rolls eyes at the supernatural school idea and at Maggie in general*

I like that she's away at a supernatural school...  Tells me she probably won't be in the main Dresden Files series too much.  She'll be in an offshoot series.