Author Topic: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago  (Read 25005 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Just posting for people who might not have heard it.

Black Gate Magazine Interview w/ Jim Butcher - ConFusion 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJU5NwFiXk

Harry in Changes had 3 choices:
Book of Kemmler, and full on Necromancer
Summon Lasciel's Coin and go full Denarian
Deal with Mab.

I like where he discusses villains.  That there is something "missing".  "They have this hole that is bottomless that they keep trying to fill."  This does give some insight into people like Nicodemus, and Cowl.  Like Nicodemus wanting to save the world...  What is his definition of saving it?  Is it like Skywalker telling Obiwan that from his perspective the Jedi are evil?  Which would mean saving the world would be more like destroying it to the average person....  Maybe saving the world means ending Free Will, and Choice.

Harry's strength's: Direct magic, and magic that requires time, investment, and love.  "his gadgets are second to none in the wizard world even though he's a punk kid".  Surprised by that one, didn't realize the stuff he made was such a high level in comparison to more advanced wizards.

Love how Jim describes how he builds wizards, and how their magic is like martial arts.  Different people are suited for different things, and if you want to be good you need to find what you're good at, and focus on it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:01:11 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
I like where he discusses villains.  That there is something "missing".  "They have this hole that is bottomless that they keep trying to fill."  This does give some insight into people like Nicodemus, and Cowl.

Ooh. I could make an Amber comparison here, but it for Amber is a rather specific case.  Julia and Brand and any others that walk a broken Pattern, touching the broken pieces rather than the whole ones get attuned to a magic that has something 'missing', something from the void.  This really isn't such a moral thing except that in Amber those that touch this magic with a bit of the void get changed by it and negatively so.  I had wondered if Jim was going to take Outsiders as coming into or manifesting from the void via those that walk broken Patterns.  So, I've made comparisons to those that summon Outsiders to in some way touching broken Patterns.

Of course, I don't think this can generalize to simple villains, but some of the villains in Amber Chronicles had this 'magic' and property.

Now, in Jim's other series, Cinder Spires, the 'magic wielders' actually do have something missing as they become more adept at their craft.  These missing pieces though manifest as psychological disorders like OCD and other peculiarities.

Oh and on OCD, ect, I've made progress on likely identifying the partial cause of my psychiatric disorder.  I hit my head at age 15 during a flip turn at a swim meet. So, essentially I slammed my head into concrete.  THis would be a mild traumatic brain injury that I didn't seek treatment for but left lasting unseen effects.  It took me awhile to think that a nonpsychological issue like hitting my head could be part of the problem. Also, in my history psychiatrists don't ask if you have hit your head.

Sorry for derailing the thread after mentioned the OCD of the characters in Cinder Spires and it reminding me of my own (computer games, etc).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:36:38 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Argonometra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
Harry's strength's: Direct magic, and magic that requires time, investment, and love. 

moar skull babies down the line?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
Harry's strength's: Direct magic, and magic that requires time, investment, and love.  "his gadgets are second to none in the wizard world even though he's a punk kid".  Surprised by that one, didn't realize the stuff he made was such a high level in comparison to more advanced wizards.

This is a little surprising at first, but when you think about it I think it fits for the most part.  Harry always had a major leg up on crafting thanks to having Bob as both mentor and magical sensor package.  His early potions were deceptively effective, some of the lesser used and/or not maintained designed could have become a lot more effective with continued development (the Bear Belt chi storage, the Murphionic Suppression charm, etc), unfortunately he always had to prioritized his combat gear over broader research.  But his duster enchantments are legitimately pretty hardcore, his 2.0 shield has been complimented by several wizards who are nominally his superiors in magical skill, and most recently he even managed to successfully build a skull Spirit Sanctum, without bob's help and literally using stone age tools by the sound of it.

And then there was Little Chicago, and whoooBOY that one could have been a biggun. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
Well, his bulletproofing enchantment on the duster is demonstrably second to at least Ebenezar's work, which protects the head and ankles even if they're not physically covered. Though I'm not sure whether he's actually marking up his robes with spells, or doing it some entirely different way.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
I have to admit mixed feelings on all this.  I love the insight we get from these interviews.  I get that fans love all these book signings.   But I do think this is an example where fan enthusiasm gets in the way.   By demanding teasers and personal appearances (which we do demand), we delay getting actual new books.   

Now maybe JB gets a kick out of all this.  In that case, the man should do what he likes.   But if JB is rather so/so about all these appearances, I would personally prefer that fans place less distractions in front of "The Man" and let the guy write.   :)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
The delay in getting actual new books isn't on us. It is clear Jim enjoys these engagements. He likes spilling things in these interactions.  I wish he would spill more of it in the actual novel rather than in the Q&A.  I hope Jim gets his Muse back.  I think these interactions with his fans might help.  It does seem to me and you that it may delay the novels release.

As I was stating before though, I think these Q&A's help him think through some ideas and get juiced up.  To me I get the impression that life events have drained him somewhat.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:12:57 PM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
I have to admit mixed feelings on all this.  I love the insight we get from these interviews.  I get that fans love all these book signings.   But I do think this is an example where fan enthusiasm gets in the way.   By demanding teasers and personal appearances (which we do demand), we delay getting actual new books.   

Now maybe JB gets a kick out of all this.  In that case, the man should do what he likes.   But if JB is rather so/so about all these appearances, I would personally prefer that fans place less distractions in front of "The Man" and let the guy write.   :)

Probably contractual obligations.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »
Pretty sure a lot of those appearances are contractual obligations, as in several of them he mentions being given guidance on what stories, etc he should or shouldnt tell. 

The other side of it is that they (the Publishers) would typically want to keep Jim in the public eye/mind at least a little between books.  "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" is a standard danger for any creative work Business, the longer it goes without any mention the more likely that somebody will simply miss it when new material is released.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
I'll take my morsels and nuggets of info anyway I can get them.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
This is a little surprising at first, but when you think about it I think it fits for the most part.  Harry always had a major leg up on crafting thanks to having Bob as both mentor and magical sensor package.  His early potions were deceptively effective, some of the lesser used and/or not maintained designed could have become a lot more effective with continued development (the Bear Belt chi storage, the Murphionic Suppression charm, etc), unfortunately he always had to prioritized his combat gear over broader research.  But his duster enchantments are legitimately pretty hardcore, his 2.0 shield has been complimented by several wizards who are nominally his superiors in magical skill, and most recently he even managed to successfully build a skull Spirit Sanctum, without bob's help and literally using stone age tools by the sound of it.

And then there was Little Chicago, and whoooBOY that one could have been a biggun.

I really, really want more gadgets for Harry. I am glad they are so good comparing with others, so now I want even more gadgets.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
I really, really want more gadgets for Harry. I am glad they are so good comparing with others, so now I want even more gadgets.
The logic for why he hasnt had a bunch of them at any given time makes sense both in-world and from a storytelling pov.  That being said, the in-world reason that it takes a lot of time to build and maintain his gadgets is actually a budget issue according to Bob.  Harry simply couldnt afford the materials that would let his enchantments last longer so he had to focus on refining the design itself.  Also, he's only so good a craftsman physically speaking, but for the most part did all his own carving, etc.  But now he has lots and lots of Shiny Rocks and a decent if tangential relationship with the local Svartalves, so he can absolutely afford the expensive materials and even outsource the actual fabrication.  Being broke has always been a core limiting factor form Harry so I am really looking forward to seeing what he does with funding.  And with something better to spend his time on, like being a father. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
I have the feeling Jim will have Harry use the money for something very specific and then he will be back to being poor. That said, Mab will probably pay her Knight
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
We have WOJL that goes along the lines of with more resources come more headaches.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 02:38:31 AM »
I have the feeling Jim will have Harry use the money for something very specific and then he will be back to being poor. That said, Mab will probably pay her Knight

I can't see Mab paying him a salary if he didn't negotiate one in their deal. She'll provide mission necessities like the car in CD or the enchanted earring in SG, and anything she feels necessary to keep up the image of her court for formal appearances (the tux and fancy lapel pins), but generously providing perks beyond a bargain's terms is really not her style. Anything more I can really only see if she thought luxuries would get Harry to like being the Knight and help mold him into her ideal 'monster' - and even though she misses the mark on understanding a lot of Harry's motivations, I don't think she's so clueless as to think material pay or luxuries are going to sway him towards what she wants him to be.

If there's going to be any support from Winter, I think it more likely Molly would rationalize spending some of her "eight zeroes bank account" on upgrading their Knight's gear as in the interests of the Court. Though I'd be at least as interested, if not more, in what kinds of foci she could create with an open budget for svartalf assistance.