Author Topic: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago  (Read 25003 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
I guess I can understand why her sudden appearance would be off-putting compared to established characters like Molly.  I dont mind it as much because I like when these sorts of stories (especially ones that have gone on as long as Dresden has) remind the audience that there is a lot of other crap happening out there in the story-world, so that Significant things dont always have to happen near the Main Character.  Some of my favorite stories made their fantasy world seem so much richer simply by mentioning other events or legend or whatsoever entirely in passing.

I also didnt come down on the anti-Susan side of things, so I actively wanted Susan to come back and be relevant again.  She was either actively participating or else was a primary motivation for all the the first five books, then wasnt mentioned again beyond the Other Ex that Ended Badly for another seven. Saying she dropped off his radar on purpose to hide their love-child from his horrifically dangerous lifestyle felt realistic and thematically interesting in the sense of highlighting the difficulty of the morally grey.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
I think Harry's response to a child he didn't know was that he could relate to being alone with nobody to protect him.  Although I cannot relate I'm wondering if anyone raised in foster care or something similar found themselves loving Harry even more because he loved his child so much even though he hadn't met her.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
I guess I can understand why her sudden appearance would be off-putting compared to established characters like Molly.  I dont mind it as much because I like when these sorts of stories (especially ones that have gone on as long as Dresden has) remind the audience that there is a lot of other crap happening out there in the story-world, so that Significant things dont always have to happen near the Main Character.  Some of my favorite stories made their fantasy world seem so much richer simply by mentioning other events or legend or whatsoever entirely in passing.

I also didnt come down on the anti-Susan side of things, so I actively wanted Susan to come back and be relevant again.  She was either actively participating or else was a primary motivation for all the the first five books, then wasnt mentioned again beyond the Other Ex that Ended Badly for another seven. Saying she dropped off his radar on purpose to hide their love-child from his horrifically dangerous lifestyle felt realistic and thematically interesting in the sense of highlighting the difficulty of the morally grey.

I should clarify that I don't mind Maggie as a character, and I'm not opposed to her being involved or anything, I just would've liked it if I could have developed my own connection to her character before she became the primary motivation for Harry's path of destruction in Changes.

Imagine Harry and Susan had the fight from the beginning of Changes in, say, Dead Beat, and Harry's experience with the Darkhallow and zombies literally beating down his door led him to believe it would be best for Maggie to be raised apart from him. He comes to precisely the same conclusion at the end of Changes, and has Maggie brought to Father Forthill, except as a baby. Susan is in no position to be around infants because of her bloodthirst and her own militia activity, Harry realizes his home isn't safe, and Maggie left to foster care. Harry could have received updates throughout the series, or have it be a frequent source of pain for him. Then when she's taken in Changes, it would have significantly more impact; she would have grown up, at least partially, within the context of the series, and we might've had a stronger connection to her.

I don't know; I'm not Jim. If it had gone down the way I say, then I very well might be complaining that there wasn't enough characterization, or something else entirely. I just know that I'm not too fond of the way Maggie was introduced to the series, and can't help but think it could've been handled in a more interesting, impactful way.

And yeah, I get that it provides a reason for Susan to be gone from the series, but I never really saw her as particularly important. I think her half-vampire struggles were enough reason.

I think Harry's response to a child he didn't know was that he could relate to being alone with nobody to protect him.  Although I cannot relate I'm wondering if anyone raised in foster care or something similar found themselves loving Harry even more because he loved his child so much even though he hadn't met her.

Yeah, his desires make character sense, which is what I alluded to earlier; my issue was just that I didn't have anything to latch onto. My hook was that Harry was motivated; I didn't have a particular reason to care about the outcome, except how it would impact Harry and His Superfriends. I use Molly as an example; I cared about what happened to Molly in Proven Guilty, not just that Harry Was In a Pickle.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »

I see the pattern somewhat repeating itself with Murphy,  no longer in law enforcement, while not old, getting past the age to go one one one or even to be part of a team against the kind of enemy that Harry is facing these days... Now debilitating injury on top of it...  I know her die hard fans will settle for her being a port or perhaps some super computer sleuth, but face it, that isn't the Murphy that endeared herself to us..  Perhaps that is how it will play itself out, Murphy will voluntarily remove herself from the picture.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
I liked Susan at first, then hated her. I will never forgive her
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2018, 01:42:07 AM »
I just hate that someone as important as Harry's daughter should be has bern reduced to a plot device to force the story in the direction Jim wants to take it, instead of being a real character.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »
I just hate that someone as important as Harry's daughter should be has bern reduced to a plot device to force the story in the direction Jim wants to take it, instead of being a real character.

In fairness, I believe that this is going to change moving forward, starting with the novella in Brief Cases. Until this point in the story, Harry was coming around to realizing that he needed to have a relationship with her at all, and now that he's done that, he can start to have that relationship. We'll get to see Maggie become an actual person rather than a plot device—I think. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I don't see how we could avoid getting real characterization with Maggie and Harry in such close proximity. For me, that's what it took for Thomas to become more than Dionysian Love God with a Possible Heart of Gold, and turn into Harry's brother.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
Exactly why I am worried for the next books. Maggie will become more important.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
Oh yes, the real proof of this to me is Mouse, whose obviously got an agenda of his own, is now her personal guard dog. The monster under the bed was probably as real as Dresden thought.(woj of things only kids can see.)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »

I think in the BAT she will be (she will be in her late teens by then or older) but in these next few books I don't think so.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
*crosses fingers*
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
Ooh the hate!
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير