Author Topic: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago  (Read 25107 times)

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Butcher interview from 2 months ago
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
Maggie Dresden and the Spirit of Intellect
Maggie Dresden and the Blackened Denarious. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »
Hope you are right, Groinkick.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 12:13:04 AM »
Kids are expensive. Especially kids very interested in tech. Better have a savings account, Harry.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 12:15:33 AM »
Mm, I bet Maggie won't be able to use tech. Thus she will need magic gadgets.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 12:57:17 AM »
Maggie Dresden and the Spirit of Intellect
Maggie Dresden and the Blackened Denarius. 

I hope not. While I don't really care much for Maggie as a concept, I think her getting taken by the Nickleheads would break Harry.

Also, if Maggie is a Potter analogue in her series, would that make Mouse Hermione (the way smarter and more capable friend of the MC?)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:15:48 AM by forumghost »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 02:05:08 AM »
I hope not. While I don't really care much for Maggie as a concept, I think her getting taken by the Nickleheads would break Harry.

Also, if Maggie is a Potter analogue in her series, would that make Mouse Hermione (the way smarter and more capable friend of the MC?)
Eh, the kidnapping plot has been done (several times) by Jim.  Just because they're out there doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be going after Maggie.  Maybe some kid finds a coin and it keeps getting passed around from kid to kid doing some damage but never being there long enough to really do serious damage until Maggie whatevers it.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 03:47:07 AM »
If the Nickleheads are involved I can't see Nick not targeting Maghie tbh.

After all, her Daddy owes him a replacement daughter.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 04:00:32 AM »
uh.uh, that was his fault, not Harry's. Perhaps he could put some blaming in Mab.
Missing you, Md 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 05:19:19 AM »
uh.uh, that was his fault, not Harry's. Perhaps he could put some blaming in Mab.

That all depends upon a certain point of view.

Ol' nicky's pov may not match with reality in this case.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
That all depends upon a certain point of view.

Ol' nicky's pov may not match with reality in this case.
Oh, he'll blame Harry for making the Plan go sideways, but he'd never let anyone give any CREDIT for the plan itself.  He doesnt even seem all that willing to share that credit with Anduriel...

And frankly, I suspect he has his hands full with a very Angry Tessa.  It very much was not HER plan, and then Nic couldnt even get Revenge right, getting scared off by a nerd in a tent-sized coat and something that OBVIOUSLY couldnt be a real lightsaber  ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »
Oh, he'll blame Harry for making the Plan go sideways

I think Nick realizes it was his fault that Deirdre died (which is a dandy short tongue-twister), but will remain furious at Harry for making her death...unprofitable.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »
Ok, that sounds well.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Oh, he'll blame Harry for making the Plan go sideways, but he'd never let anyone give any CREDIT for the plan itself.  He doesnt even seem all that willing to share that credit with Anduriel...

And frankly, I suspect he has his hands full with a very Angry Tessa.  It very much was not HER plan, and then Nic couldnt even get Revenge right, getting scared off by a nerd in a tent-sized coat and something that OBVIOUSLY couldnt be a real lightsaber  ;)
Maybe the nature of the Mantis will solve some problems eh?
I think yes, Nick, if given the chance, will go for Maggie, as a way of sharing the pain. If he had lost his girl, why should Dresden keep his, after all? But he's a creature centuries old, and characterized as ruthless, cunning, industrious and VERY patient. He makes plans, but doesn't get bent out of shape if they fail, as long as he accomplishes even a secondary mission. I don't think he'll go out of his way to harm Maggie.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:43 PM »
I'm adding an extra post so my post count is no longer 666. :)

Carry on.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Serack, can you include this WOJ in the WOJ reference collection please. The transcription may need to be checked again for exact accuracy.

Hmm. Transcribing interesting quesetion about Murphy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJU5NwFiXk
20:00

Prior topic
Harry's Life getting Easier...Do you see Harry's life getting easier?

(THis is only a rough draft of transcribed part.)

Do you see there being a cost for Murphy standing by him. I probably already know the answer to that.
What? Really do you?  We will see what happens. I'm pretty sure I know what happens.  But we'll see. 

Sometimes things happen when I'm writing, and there is several points in the series when I'm writing that I built big descisions for the character and then I don't know what he is going to choose until he gets there because there is going to be lot of different factors that goes into a choice anybody makes.  (Right) I wasn't sure what choice he was going to make up until that point.  So there is a slightly different version of the Dresden Files. One of the big ones is in Dead Beat when he has to decide how he is going to have to take on the bad guys in the end.  And he winds up grabbing the Word of Kemmler and reanimating the dinosaur and going to town.  ... There were 3 things. He could have gone with the Word of Kemmler.  He could have gone.  No, I'm thinking too far back, it was in Changes that he made the really huge one.  Changes was this giant gamble for me.  There were many things happening that I didn't know; and I didn't know how it would fall out afterwards.  So Changes, he is against the wall, his back is broke, his daughter is going to die, it is going to kill him too and other people around him and he has got to do something he hasn't done before, he has to change his boundaries.  And, so he has 3 choices, he can pick up the Word of Kemmler and go full on Necromancer and go against the Vampires like that.  He could summon Lasiel's coin to him still and he can still find that, he goes in as a denarian knight and takes them on, and his third choice is Mab.  And to take her offer and her power and go because Mab keeps her word. He says he is going to set this up so I'll go in and at least save her, but I won't be able to save me, I'm already done. So that was his thinking. That was why he went with Mab at the time.  Because he was in a place of such despair.  His biggest concern is 'but what if she makes me into a monster and has me kill people.' So he figures out a contingency for that as well.  He goes in and hopefully he can't lose.  Either way, he won't end up a monster and will get his daughter out and to her mother and safely away.  That was his plan.  There were these huge choices and different versions of the Dresden Files for, Harry the Necromancer, Harry the Denarian.  Once Nicodemus becomes your regular frenemy, you know that, that it would an interesting series but that would have gotten a lot darker.  The necromancer thing would have, I don't even know about that, Harry... That would have meant he had to pretend I'm a regular wizard all the time, but the necromancy would have kept cropping up and getting more serious.  But on the other hand, he could have been a white necromancer raising the spirits like he did in book 3.  When you write these things, you're not really sure what is going to happen.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:01:52 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html