Author Topic: Gf's character idea most min/maxed ever lol  (Read 7791 times)

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Gf's character idea most min/maxed ever lol
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
I'm not sure, but I don't think Hulking Size increases your damage output.  I could be mistaken, though.

This is correct. So her fists attack is likely +5, weapon: 6. Assuming she took Claw Focus and Claw Specialization as stunts she could up that to +6, Weapon: 8. She can throw that around all day, which is nice.

Does not compare to optimized evocation, and falls a little behind optimized Weapons builds. I would say don't worry too much about "compelling the hell" out of her. She'll be quite effective, but not overpowering.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
What is her Troubled Aspect? You say she has no flaws. I really trying to understand how this character is so untouchable without flaws? Everyone has a Troubled Aspect in Dresden.

The no memory thing is a great way to screw with her. Missing 3 months I would easily turn that into something interesting and a great flaw.

How and why she turns into a Giant House Cat? If she left that up to you. Well I would research about Feline Shapeshifter Mythology and if I had time I would read some Feline Shapeshifter Novels.

My wife is in my Star Wars D20 Revised game and her character has no memory. I have had a lot of time to really have fun with her with it and she has grown to a level 9 Character. She loves all the ins and outs I come up with and my gaming group here.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
I consider it OP because she will be decent in social conflict, she will never miss any clues, she is really hard to surprise or ambush, and then she can shapeshift and toss cars around or cleave people in have with her cat claws.

Sure, there are more optimized builds for social, mental, or physical conflict, but she'll be able to do anything... without preparation.

That is pretty nasty. :)

No, I am not too worried about any of my characters being OP in combat.  A creative GM can always figure out a way to work around that.

I don't believe in nerfing PCs.  I like buffing NPCs.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »
I consider it OP because she will be decent in social conflict, she will never miss any clues, she is really hard to surprise or ambush, and then she can shapeshift and toss cars around or cleave people in have with her cat claws.

Sure, there are more optimized builds for social, mental, or physical conflict, but she'll be able to do anything... without preparation.

So she is competent in Social conflicts, skilled in one kind of Mental conflict, and skilled in Physical conflicts that don't contain elements (spellcasters, flying monsters) designed to rob her of her advantages. This is actually closer to a good baseline for what a PC should be capable of, in my humble opinion.

A PI with his bonus refresh spent on Gun Stunts is likely to operate functionally close to this. Her powers will make her tankier and allow to her to, as you say, toss cars around when necessary, while his Stunts could be spent making him VERY decent in social conflicts and a spectrum of mental conflicts.

Your game, your balancing points, but just make sure you've accurately appraised her potential before locking her in a closet with Tessa.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »
So she is competent in Social conflicts, skilled in one kind of Mental conflict, and skilled in Physical conflicts that don't contain elements (spellcasters, flying monsters) designed to rob her of her advantages. This is actually closer to a good baseline for what a PC should be capable of, in my humble opinion.

A PI with his bonus refresh spent on Gun Stunts is likely to operate functionally close to this. Her powers will make her tankier and allow to her to, as you say, toss cars around when necessary, while his Stunts could be spent making him VERY decent in social conflicts and a spectrum of mental conflicts.

Your game, your balancing points, but just make sure you've accurately appraised her potential before locking her in a closet with Tessa.

Lol! All good points.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 02:19:46 AM »
The skill rearranging part of beast change is potentially the best bang for the buck you can get, power wise.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:37 AM »
The skill rearranging part of beast change is potentially the best bang for the buck you can get, power wise.

Definitely.  Even just using "standard" were-forms (e.g. real-life animials, Inhuman level but no Supernatural level powers), I consider Were-form to be one the most powerful and versatile builds, and suitable to run right along side a full wizard in a high-power game.

At lower refresh levels, a were-form might outshine pure mortals or other weak templates to a degree, but they'll be limited to weaker animal forms anyway, and probably have less left-over refresh than most players at the table.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
[-1] Beast Change
[-2] Hulking Size and Claws modified by Human Form
[-4] Supernatural Strength
[-1] Nimble  (no defense penalty by Hulking Size)
[-1] Supernatural Toughness (catch is poison)

Man, I got to ask, but what the hell is "poison"?  Like, I know the definition of the word, but what the hell does it mean in the context of a catch.  So what, substances that harm the character will harm the character?  Does a catch of "weaknesses" work the same way? 
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
the venomous upgrade to the claws power would satisfy a 'poison' catch
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 06:42:25 AM »
Man, I got to ask, but what the hell is "poison"?  Like, I know the definition of the word, but what the hell does it mean in the context of a catch.  So what, substances that harm the character will harm the character?  Does a catch of "weaknesses" work the same way? 

Cyanide, venom, hemlock would all be catch fufilling for a character, a catch of weaknesses would mean that people who are weak will bypass your toughness usually whilst they shoot at you.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »
Everyone can poison most weapons and a number of creatures already have the "venomous" upgrade to their claws. That's what bypasses that catch.

Offline stabbald

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
Everyone can poison most weapons and a number of creatures already have the "venomous" upgrade to their claws. That's what bypasses that catch.

How would it work though? In relation to toughness would the poison act as like a corrosive? I can see poison hindering recovery but toughness is a little harder to explain.

Another point, what do you define as poisonous? Chocolate is technically toxic, does that count?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
Stress that would normally be inflicted by exposure to a poison if the character didn't have a toughness power is not reduced by that toughness power, nor are consequences originating from such stress subject to the accelerated healing of a recovery power.  That's how it works.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Toughness is a supernatural power. How things work does not have to deal with physics at all. In this case, think of Balder being killed by mistletoe; his magical invulnerability simply did not exist against it. Ditto for some types of werewolves and silver.

As for what works, the catch makes poison ignore extra toughness, it does not make it deal more damage than normal or ignore the normal defense rolls against it and the poison has to be poison. Use common sense; being whacked with a chocolate is not poisonous. Eating a chocolate is not nearly poisonous enough to deal even 1 stress of damage (equal to a short knife). But the sting of a wasp (weapon 0, attack 3 vs endurance) would deal stress normally if she failed the defense and not be absorbed by her toughness/armor. So would the toxic fumes from a building on fire (environmental hazard 4 vs endurance) but the fire itself (another hazard 4 vs endurance) would have to deal with armor and extra stress boxes from her toughness.
Gas grenades, poisoned darts, strong contact poison on a blade, snake bites, magical water attacks that create poisons, the venomous claws of red vampires; all of these would ignore her toughness.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
Also, note that adverse reactions to a catch that doesn't normally deal stress are a compel, usually of the characters high concept.  For example, a fae being burned by the touch of iron is a compel of their high concept, while using a hammer made out of iron to crack open their skull is a catch being used to negate their toughness powers.