Author Topic: Value of an imposible catch  (Read 3275 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Value of an imposible catch
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
You know, something I consider when I make a catch that the book doesn't look at as much is how often it should show up. To me, when someone is giving themselves a +0 catch it means that the only time it should really come up is at a dramatic moment that really has meaning to the character. When someone has a +1 or +2 catch then they expect it to come up more often. If someone has a catch of Swords of the Cross at +1 then they're telling me that they expect to come up against a knight of the Cross occasionally. Whether that makes sense in the real world doesn't matter because this unrealistic scenario (at least one of the three knights of the cross showing up on a semi-regular basis) is what the story is about.

Now if you're talking about whether it's fair to throw a Denarian at a group that has no way of tripping that catch then no, that's not really fair. However that's not necessarily a reason not to do it. One can create a great story that starts with the protagonists getting their assess handed to them, so long as there's a way for them to succeed later.

Offline Silverseraph

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »
With that 'need' being defined by the inscrutable power of God (the GM)
Hence the GM's ability to create and destroy game balance by their very whim!

is absolutely indistinguishable from leaving the matter to taking no action whatsoever, as the only way to distinguish a granted prayer from a declined prayer is by waiting for the opportunity for intervention to pass.
Except in game terms where True Believers have the ability to say a prayer and then roll Conviction for ANYTHING! Then the success or failure is dependent upon the roll of the Dice or the Whim of the GM!

Contacts Roll.... get me a damned Knight of the Cross!

When their arrival is arranged by 'coincidence' or 'feeling', they don't generally get the opportunity to call ahead.
Hey, Same difference to me so long at they are there!

If they show up, they show up, if they don't, they don't.
And either way the GM's job is to provide an interesting story! If the players are in it to be terrified and unable to defeat a huge monster then that's awesome for them! Don't let ANYTHING I say get in the way of your fun guys! But if not, someone needs a way to get rid of that evil dude!

To me, when someone is giving themselves a +0 catch it means that the only time it should really come up is at a dramatic moment that really has meaning to the character.
I think I was trying to say something like that in my post and I lost track in my ramblings... anyway, AGREE! If it shows up AT ALL!

I think that last post pretty well sums up the argument without debating the forest for the trees. Denarians and Knights are a bad example case because they have a divine intervention thing built into back story.

For me it comes down to ARE THE PLAYERS HAVING FUN. If they really are then EVERYTHING IS OKAY! If they aren't well maybe it's time to change some things!

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »
Catches come in 2 parts. Both are worth points.

An extremely rare catch that is common knowledge will have that knowledge come up.

A common catch that is relatively unknown will have that come up too, even if that mook simply grabbed whatever's handy and swung.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 03:52:33 AM »
You know, something I consider when I make a catch that the book doesn't look at as much is how often it should show up. To me, when someone is giving themselves a +0 catch it means that the only time it should really come up is at a dramatic moment that really has meaning to the character. When someone has a +1 or +2 catch then they expect it to come up more often. If someone has a catch of Swords of the Cross at +1 then they're telling me that they expect to come up against a knight of the Cross occasionally. Whether that makes sense in the real world doesn't matter because this unrealistic scenario (at least one of the three knights of the cross showing up on a semi-regular basis) is what the story is about.

This is the Truth.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 04:14:49 AM »

Now if you're talking about whether it's fair to throw a Denarian at a group that has no way of tripping that catch then no, that's not really fair. However that's not necessarily a reason not to do it. One can create a great story that starts with the protagonists getting their assess handed to them, so long as there's a way for them to succeed later.

As they say a million and 1 chance happens 9 out 10 times
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.