Author Topic: Gf's character idea most min/maxed ever lol  (Read 7842 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Gf's character idea most min/maxed ever lol
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 05:37:39 AM »
If you interpt true love as not being the perfected form of abosolute Love (which is a mix of fate, chivalry,genetics and others random factors) then it makes true love a far to common catch for a +0 which implies that only several people know about the catch and that there are own several people in the entire world posessing the catch.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:41:06 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
If you interpt true love as not being the perfected form of abosolute Love (which is a mix of fate, chivalry,genetics and others random factors) then it makes true love a far to common catch for a +0 which implies that only several people know about the catch and that there are own several people in the entire world posessing the catch.  

1. I don't believe all WCV catches should be a +0.

2.  We have it from Fred himself that Our World is more of a guide, not law.

I think true love should be a +1 at least. 
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
1. I don't believe all WCV catches should be a +0.

2.  We have it from Fred himself that Our World is more of a guide, not law.

I think true love should be a +1 at least. 

And I would agree. There are two sides to this argument you should be aware of.

One seems to be arguing backwards from +0 to "True Love is insanely rare". The other takes the stance that True Love is NOT insanely rare, and therefore the Catch should have higher value.

It is worth noting that love is a really touchy subject for a lot of people, even when the biology and psychology of it hasn't been much of a mystery for decades; add in metaphysical connotations to muddy the issue and you have a recipe for strong opinions. I would advise against getting into an in-depth discussion here, and instead recommend that you pick which ruling you prefer and apply it to your own games, and then try not to bring it up online when you're not looking for a fight - consider it DFRPG fighting words, the way "roll vs roleplaying" or "GNS theory" cause ugly flareups wherever they're uttered.

If True Love were the province of the average happily married couple, it'd be up to a +1 rebate for frequency.

As for knowledge of the Catch, this is in an odd place where the game utterly defies canon. There is an entire species almost unilaterally aware of their own Catch and that of rival Houses, and would be unlikely to balk at sharing the Catch of their rivals for personal gain. Given how obvious it is and how likely it is that wizards have some reason to care enough to investigate this kind of thing, it's absurd to imagine the White Council is blind to any knowledge of the bane of an entire Court of active vampires. From there it stops being reasonable to call it a +0 knowledge. I mean, come on.

So I would personally call it a +2 rebate.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
quick update
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
My gf's character ended up being as nasty powerful as I was expecting it to be.

She ended up tying all of her beast change abilities to an item of power, which ended up giving her an extra point of refresh as well... at the cost of potentially losing /all/ of her supernatural abilities in the future.  :evil:

But yeah, she was throwing out an average of 6 shift attacks with a 6 shift weapon.  Every time.  I think she killed 4 out of the 5 enemies the group encountered.

Granted, I had the first session be kind of an old school dungeon crawl so everyone could get used to the system.  I think some of the most fun I had as GM was compelling my white court vampire PC who doesn't know that he is a vampire to activate whatever powers I told him to for each scene. :)

Everyone at the table got a good number of compels.  I think that everyone at the table has learned how to do maneuvers and such now and everyone is aware of how powerful they are now.  I ended up letting the techno savant PC use his lightning power for maneuvers and it was cool when he blinded a couple of goblins with it.

I think it's cool that the group was able to pick up the system so fast.  Now  I can start with the /real/ story and start bringing in more interesting enemies.

Goblins and malks are not all that great of a challenge to a submerged group.

But yeah... my gf's character could soak up massive amounts of damage and put out massive amounts of damage, but still have decent social skills as a human.  I think the only fate points she spent was denying my compels that would have not let her change into a were giant cat since she is new to her powers.

So for all you new players out there, or gms who have a new player that does not know what they want to play, a were animal is really quite nasty for a relatively low amount of refresh.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:30:50 AM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
  • The Pants are BACK Baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
Have you considered adding compels for the standard Cat stuff? The aloof indiference the species shares? The catnip addiction? The drive to hunt, (IE:chase small moving objects, including laser pointers and string) How would these effect the character in transformed mode, and in human mode? You can give them the good, but remember the bad as well.
* Funny post quote that remains constantly relavant *