Author Topic: Mordite Blade  (Read 11529 times)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mordite Blade
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
In the Dresden Files, it's strongly implied that Michael's sword 'Amoracchius' IS Excalibur.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 11:45:43 PM »
No, as my char is not broken imo

EDIT: and its not better then excaliber, as according to arthurian myth excaliber guarentees invincibility on the battlefield.
Right up to the point where Arthur died while wielding it in battle.

Actually, it was the scabbard that prevented the wearer from being cut.  Still won't do jack against a tiny old Gruff using a railroad tie as a one handed melee weapon. :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
Actually, it's only on par with Amorrachius (a -3 Item of Power). It does absolutely nothing to get rid of The Catch after all (something the Swords of the Cross do in fact do). I'd actually say those are about on par. Anything with Physical Immunity (and an Ogre style 'magic only' version might apply) can ignore this scythe like it's nothing...not so much a Sword.

And it was Excalibur's Scabbard that was supposed to make you invincible (and thus a -6 or so item granting Physical Immunity).

The Scythe is frightening, and something REQUIRING GM approval but not inherently game-breakingly so. It really depends on the power level and focuses of the other PCs.

Tbora

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
So DMW, how would you go about building a Kemmlerian Necromancer?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
I wouldn't. They are completely inappropriate for PC use. Just to start with, being one is -11 Refresh at a minimum (-7 Wizard, -2 Lawbreaker, -2 Sponsored Magic) and usually much higher. But more importantly they are EVIL!!! All capitalized and bolded for a reason.

If you're looking for how to build an NPC Kemmlerian, well, look at Grevane. He's a decent example, though I might rearrange the stats a little depending on how much of a threat you want him to be.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »
Is the blade god(or some other immortal)-forged? Because theorectically the mordite will kill anyone else it comes into contact with. How is the mordite bound into blade form? By magic? What happens when a Warden sword comes into contact with such a blade? The magic unravels and you get mordite bits all over?

Alternatively a mordite-laced frag/gas suspension grenade sounds like a good weapon of last resort too. When you absolutely have to take the other mofo to hell with you.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Tbora

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
Is the blade god(or some other immortal)-forged? Because theorectically the mordite will kill anyone else it comes into contact with. How is the mordite bound into blade form? By magic? What happens when a Warden sword comes into contact with such a blade? The magic unravels and you get mordite bits all over?

Its not held together by magic, just old fashioned smithing.Mordite is a stone so it can be smelted into a metal.So warden sword wouldn't really do anything to it.As for who forged it, Well the Scythe is as old as Death itself, take that how you will...

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
Its not held together by magic, just old fashioned smithing.Mordite is a stone so it can be smelted into a metal.So warden sword wouldn't really do anything to it.As for who forged it, Well the Scythe is as old as Death itself, take that how you will...

If you are going by Dresdenverse canon, the mordite would destroy the metal it was smelted with, and the tools used to smelt it, and a bunch of other bad stuff, unless some specialized magic was used to control it.  It's basically anti-matter.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
I would rule that such constant exposure to mordite is likely to give you some nasty badness. Like cancer, all over your body, in every organ. Terminal cancer.

Tbora

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
if the character wielding it was alive and had a body of his own i'd use that ruling too, but the character wielding it is a spirit of Enthropy and Decay possessing a skeleton like Bob does a skull.He's not alive, so how could the Mordite harm him?

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »
If you are going by Dresdenverse canon, the mordite would destroy the metal it was smelted with, and the tools used to smelt it, and a bunch of other bad stuff, unless some specialized magic was used to control it.  It's basically anti-matter.

Anything touched by it is disintegrated, so forging or shaping by traditional means would be impossible.  It can be enchanted, so you could probably shape it into a weapon with a ritual.  However, it's far worse than anti-matter, just being near it drains life force so carrying it around in weapon form would kill the user in short order unless they were a robot.  Being undead isn't going to help either, you're reanimated through magical means and mordite drains that from a distance just as readily as it drains life.  Being a spirit means you ARE magic, so you're just as screwed.

But if you wanted to be a Robot PC in my game, I'd let you, and the first time you got within 30 feet of any kind of magic practitioner, you'd explode.

Tbora

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 01:24:33 AM »
not necessarely, the physical form preserves him from being drained just like sue protected bob from being absorbed by the darkhallow in anycase we really dont know what effects mordite has beyond it kills things, so the whole drain magic is pure speculation as it has never been stated as such in cannon.leaving me in the free and clear, and even if not I'll BS it and say the skeleton he inhabits has been enchanted in such a way the body is immune to the effects of mordite allowing him to survive the effects.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:26:11 AM by Tbora »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:01 AM »
If you are going by Dresdenverse canon, the mordite would destroy the metal it was smelted with, and the tools used to smelt it, and a bunch of other bad stuff, unless some specialized magic was used to control it.  It's basically anti-matter.

Well, Peabody was able to infuse a mistfiend with mordite. We don't know what a mistfiend is, but it doesn't seem to be an Outsider, so there seems to be some way to mix mordite with normal stuff without destruction.

(Also, I thought mordite just destroyed life, not matter?)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:29 AM »
Well, Peabody was able to infuse a mistfiend with mordite. We don't know what a mistfiend is, but it doesn't seem to be an Outsider, so there seems to be some way to mix mordite with normal stuff without destruction.

(Also, I thought mordite just destroyed life, not matter?)

You see, I got the distinct impression that the mistfiend was definitely an outsider.  Oh well.  I think there are things being discussed, which aren't necessarily the same problem.  The first is that the proposed weapon is too powerful, which is something that he can discuss with his gaming group.  The second is whether or not the mordite would make sense for his character to use in DF canon, which is something that can be hand waved if his group is comfortable with taking some liberties with the canon (which they probably are, since he is playing a grim reaper, after all).
Lawful Chaotic

Tbora

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »
not a grim reaper a grim reaper themed character...