Author Topic: Mordite Blade  (Read 11599 times)

Tbora

Re: Mordite Blade
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
What is Cloak of Shadows?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
See YS p. 169. Basically, it gives the ability to see in the dark and +2 Stealth in shadowed areas. It's handy, and fairly appropriate.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
All of Living Dead's benefits have to do with looking dead and being indestructible by physical means.  That seems to pretty accurately describe your character...

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
He's not really living dead he's just like Bob and the Skull, and wouldn't it be better for athletics to be superb instead of lore, have scythe be built by someone else?

And what is a catch of weakness to holy things/faith worth?

Well, you might be able to use a stunt to add "being able to determine power of enchanted items" to a different skill.

If you actually want to have the scythe built and maintained by someone else, you are dependent on continuing access to them, their time, and attention.

If I was going to make it, I'd just go for

Item of power[+2] big scary scythe(Weapon[3])
Mythic Strength[-6] (+6 damage)
Total [-4] plus extra benefits as wanted
for +9 attacks all the time.

All backed by the aspect "Scythe of deadly cutting"
and have it understood from that that the mythic strength bonus only kicks in from cutting attacks, and other times it would be useful to be strong, you get this kicking in to generate fate points.

Can cut down to supernatural strength to still have a +7 strong attack, and not hit the don't take mythic anything limit.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »
I actually considered that route, but it's a bit more expensive, and the route I went with seemed more appropriate for something that is just inimical to life mystically. I'd probably go that route for a god's axe or something, though.

And the Warden's Swords prove your point about other's magic items completely wrong. Once an item is made you need the slots for it to maintain it, but it uses the original creator's Lore and such without ever needing to be seen by them again. Otherwqise (since Luccio can't do the Sword thing any more), the Warden's Swords would already all be completely useless.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
The Black Scythe of Death
Item of Power. +2
Mythic Strength. -6
Super Powerful Weapon. -3 (this'll put the weapon, by itself at Weapon: 9, with Mythic Strength you are at Weapon: 15)
Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
The Catch (Something worth +3) +3

This leaves you at 2 refresh.

Tbora

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
Um no, who says item has to be maintained. its not as if it degrades.The scythe is meant to be an ancient and powerful weapon, not something forged or meant to be wielded by mortal hand.

DMW, what does the character look like if I go with Riposte, take the holy catch, and switch out lore for athletics?

And how effective is this character over all?

Tbora

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
The Black Scythe of Death
Item of Power. +2
Mythic Strength. -6
Super Powerful Weapon. -3 (this'll put the weapon, by itself at Weapon: 9, with Mythic Strength you are at Weapon: 15)
Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
The Catch (Something worth +3) +3

This leaves you at 2 refresh.

Now THAT is what I'll call game breaking ...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »

I don't think this is a valid power. Claws (the closest approximation) is explicitly not allowed to stack with itself or be purchased multiple times. I'd be inclined to stick with that ruling, or we're going to wind up with Weapon: 7 knives in common usage...and that's just not a good idea.

Um no, who says item has to be maintained. its not as if it degrades.The scythe is meant to be an ancient and powerful weapon, not something forged or meant to be wielded by mortal hand.

Yep. Enchanted Items need to have Item Slots to keep them working...but this thing has them built in. It should last forever and work fine, mechanically.

DMW, what does the character look like if I go with Riposte, take the holy catch, and switch out lore for athletics?

Like this:

Skills:

Superb: Athletics, Weapons,
Great: Lore, Stealth,
Good: Conviction, Endurance,
Fair: Alertness, Discipline, Intimidation,
Average: Burglary, Empathy, Fists, Presence, Scholarship,

Stunts:

Riposte (Weapons)

Powers:

Living Dead [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Holy Stuff [+2]

Scythe of Death:
Item of Power [+2] effecting;
Ritual (Ectomancy) [-2]
Refinement (Extra Item Slots) [-2]
True Strike (As the Sword of the Cross power of the same name) [-1]

Total: -9 Refresh

Enchanted Items:
Mordite Scythe Blade (Weapon: 10 attack with Weapons, thirteen times per session) [12 Item Slots]

Stress:

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OOOO(OO)
Social: OOO
Armor: 1.

And how effective is this character over all?

Quite effective. In physical combat he's pretty damn good defensively (though not unbeatable) and an offensive GOD, destroying most opponents quickly and almost casually. Outside combat, he's good at Lore and Stealth and a decent Ectomancer, but completely worthless at anything social except Intimidation, and only decent at that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:46:07 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
Well, if thats the case you can always have the scythe itself give +3 to weapons (which would cost about -3 refresh). Thats stronger anyway, since he'd hit more often, and it would only lower the scythe down to weapon: 12.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
Well, if thats the case you can always have the scythe itself give +3 to weapons (which would cost about -3 refresh). Thats stronger anyway, since he'd hit more often, and it would only lower the scythe down to weapon: 12.

Again, no support for this ability even being allowed. +1 is clearly allowed (from Sword of the Cross) but stacking that strikes me as a truly bad idea and one that also recieves no support (the default is that powers do not stack, there's no reason to believe skill bonuses are an exception).

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
True, but we have a basis for an always on power giving a one shift effect for about -1 refresh, basing it off the section that describes mortal stunts. If you like you can have him take the stunt:

Master of The Cutting Grass [-1]
You are a master of the Scythe. You receive a +1 bonus to weapons when using a Scythe.

Give the item the True Strike [-1] ability, and this power:

Mordite Blade [-1]
The blade of this weapon is forged from Mordite, which is anathema to all of creation. Increase the weapon rating of this item by 2.

This would let him get his weapons skill to +7 (Epic). The Mordite Blade ability would bring the scythe to Weapon: 5, and Mythic Strength would bring it to Weapon: 11.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:15:59 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
That'd only result in Weapons at Epic (7, actually). Other than that, yeah that'd work.  :)

It's also -6 Refresh and not meaningfully more effective than the version I did (well, except for the Mortal Stunt, which tbora could totally get instead of Riposte if he wanted). I guess it doesn't have a limited number of uses but 13 plus 4 per fight isn't really a meaningfully limted number either...

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
Your version would give him lawbreakers for killing mortals, right? I mean, as long as he is human, using an enchanted weapon to kill somebody will net you a lawbreaker (first) right?

How about this, which I think would be fairly bad assed.

Cost   Power
 -1     Master of the Cutting Grass
+2     Item of Power (The Black Scythe of Death)
 -6     Mythic Strength
 -1     Mordite Blade
 -1     True Strike
 -8     Physical Immunity
+6     The Stacked Catch (The Black Scythe of Death)

This leaves you at 1 refresh.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:15:36 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
Your version would give him lawbreakers for killing mortals, right? I mean, as long as he is human, using an enchanted weapon to kill somebody will net you a lawbreaker (first) right?

Debatably. Depends on GM opinions. Warden's Swords presumably don't do that, and this might be a similar situation. Though, honestly, he's a Bob-style spirit, not a human being so it may be a moot point.

Your version has the great disadvantage of not allowing any powers but the Scythe...which doesn't fit the character as envisioned or mentioned.