Author Topic: Mordite Blade  (Read 11593 times)

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Re: Mordite Blade
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Wardens swords dont do that because when they behead somebody they arent using magic. The Weapon: 10 attack that you put on the scythe though is magic. A warden might lop off your head, but he wont be doing it while triggering the weapon: 6 feature of his Warden's Sword. That would get him a lawbreaker, but just using the plain Weapon: 3 stats wouldn't.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
Wardens swords dont do that because when they behead somebody they arent using magic. The Weapon: 10 attack that you put on the scythe though is magic. A warden might lop off your head, but he wont be doing it while triggering the weapon: 6 feature of his Warden's Sword. That would get him a lawbreaker, but just using the plain Weapon: 3 stats wouldn't.

I'm not sure I agree. Most direct-effect Enchanted Items would count for Lawbreaker, but I'm not sure the Warden's Sword Weapon: 6 effect would, as it doesn't directly kill, it just makes the blade sharper. Call that advantage (not getting Lawbreaker from it) the upside for requiring the attack to be at melee range and made using the Weapons skill (something most Wizards are nowhere near maxed at).

It's all up to the GM and his or her interpretation, really.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »
The weapon is built off of lore six, its just flavor that it makes a weaon: 6 sword stroke, it could make a weapon six laserbeam. The laserbeam/swordstroke are still magically created/enhanced.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »
If that were true you could wield the attack with your Discipline (which is likely to be higher than your Weapons) if you desired. You can't. Form does actually matter somewhat.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
I actually considered that route, but it's a bit more expensive, and the route I went with seemed more appropriate for something that is just inimical to life mystically. I'd probably go that route for a god's axe or something, though.

And the Warden's Swords prove your point about other's magic items completely wrong. Once an item is made you need the slots for it to maintain it, but it uses the original creator's Lore and such without ever needing to be seen by them again. Otherwqise (since Luccio can't do the Sword thing any more), the Warden's Swords would already all be completely useless.

I thought it was clear, at least from the posting about the changes to enchanting to get rid of the 'always on' items, that Warden's swords were a special case, and not really a general mold to build off of.

I could see, if you wanted to have the legion of death, each of who has identical weapons, doing the same thing, but it is not a general thing.

Tbora

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 01:16:36 AM »
Nowhere in the rules does it say enchanted items degrade must be maintained.So long as item slots are open and it has them built in, it will last forever.Once created its solid, no reason to believe otherwise from what I can gather from the source books.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »
Nowhere in the rules does it say enchanted items degrade must be maintained.So long as item slots are open and it has them built in, it will last forever.Once created its solid, no reason to believe otherwise from what I can gather from the source books.

Check out the developer posts at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17041.0.html

A bit of under the hood discussion of why the current enchanted item rules work the way they do.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »
Yes, but nowhere does it say that maintenance must be done by anyone in particular. It's represented by devoting the Item slots to the item...which this character has done.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 07:47:42 AM »
Yes, but nowhere does it say that maintenance must be done by anyone in particular. It's represented by devoting the Item slots to the item...which this character has done.
In that case, why bother to base enchanted items off of lore? I can see a case being made for a special character background (see the legion of death comment), but as a default assumption, the power to back enchanted items is one of the major benefits of lore in the way magic is balanced.

I could see a stronger argument made for the case of sponsored magic, or Mark of Power[Death], where there is a strong tie to a specific entity as a power source.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
Once the slots are there, the enchanted item is assumed to be maintained in some fashion by the character. It's up to the GM and the player to agree on what this means in terms of narrative and flavour.

One option which comes to mind is that, as part of this character's role in wielding such a weapon, he is also instructed on the specific techniques needed to maintain the weapon properly, even if he was not the one who forged it, much like a swordsman would know how to care for a sword by keeping the scabbard oiled and the blade sharp, even though he would not have been the one to craft it.