Author Topic: Conceding Question  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Conceding Question
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
I was looking over the conflict rules and noticed that the rules for conceding aren't entirely clear.

The book states that if you want to concede, it must be done before the roll that takes you out. What it doesn't clarify is whether this means you can concede after a roll that gives you stress or consequences, but not a Taken Out result, or you can only concede before the dice are rolled for any attack at all, and once they're rolled, you have to wait until the next time you're attacked to concede.

I interpreted this originally to mean that if you take stress from an attack but don't take a consequence and aren't taken out, you can take a concession. It differs from how concessions work in Spirit of the Century, but it made sense to me based on what the text in the book said.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has another interpretation, or if there's an official ruling on it?

Offline Michael,HandofGod

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Conceding Question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
I was under the impression that a character can make a Concession at any point in a conflict so long as they have not been taken out--at the very beginning, after they are attacked and have taken consequences, or even if they are only one stress point from being taken out.  I saw nothing to suggest that consequences could prevent a Concession, other than the fact that you need to be able to take a consequence normally as part of the Concession.

Of course, you can only offer a concession at any time.  The opponent does not have to accept.
I don't believe in things that go bump in the night.  It's more like a thud...

One, two!  One, two!  And through, and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went gallumphing back.
                                            ~Lewis Carroll

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
I actually allow my players to Concede so as to avoid taking Consequences even after an attack roll (though obviously not if they're about to be taken out with nothing to do about it), it speeds up combat quite a bit, and I've even been fairly nice about what Concessions I allow so far.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »
I like any options which let conflicts run quickly and smoothly.

I really like concessions as a way to give players (and NPCs) ways to get out of situations where they're really in over their head, so I'm fairly generous with them.