Author Topic: Evocation Blocks: Too Weak?  (Read 18761 times)

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation Blocks: Too Weak?
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »
The wrestling analogy is flawed? It's not even an analogy. They were talking about two people duking it out. Check above.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
The wresteling analogy is flawed.  We aren't talking about two people duking it out.
That was more in response to Sanctaphrax's argument that anyone with the least amount of skill could accurately assess whether their punches would land:

Quote from: Sanctaphrax
I'm a pretty mediocre fighter. Fair Fists, tops. But I can tell whether my punches are likely to land long before I throw them.

This isn't hard. Anyone with even the slightest skill can tell when they're up against a (mundane) defence that outclasses them completely.

This is more like the difference between trying to jump over a 5 foot chain link fence, and trying to jump over a 15 foot brick wall.  It's certainly possible to scale a 15 foot wall, bit it requires an entirely different approach.  And I agree with the notion that narrative flavoring should not give mechanical benefit.  Remember by the RAW a block is a block is a block.  There's mechanically no difference between a giant wall of fire as a block, or an invisible shield as a block.
The point was, there's no way to tell how strong a block is just by looking at it. A 15-shift block might be a five foot chain link fence (that's electrified), and a 3-shift block could be a 15-foot-high brick wall (that has crappy mortar and will fall over with enough force).

Now you can of course make an arguement for hiding block strength results, though I'm roundly against that for a multitude of reasons.  The first being it's an arbitrary decision to hide roll results of one specific mechanic.  Second it implies it's not okay for the players to know OoC information, but it's perfectly fine for the GM.  This not only facilitates, but encourages adversarial behavior between GM and players, and downright shady behavior with the wrong kind of GM.

Making exceptions, hiding roll results, and making the game generally more convoluted with no real rules to back it up, all for the sake of narration that likely isn't even plot relevant?  It just doesn't sit well with me personally.
I should clarify that I'm not talking about hiding block strengths from players--as was said earlier, they're going to need to know whether or not spending a fate point, for instance, will make a difference. As a GM, I'm generally against my players wasting fate points if it won't make any difference.

My argument, mainly, is about the GM and how he acts with the opposition.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
I would tell the character what the strength of the block is, after they decide that they want to attack. Or if they want to try and make an assessment. Those would be the only reasons that a player should get to know the strength of the block. Now for the GM, he needs to know the block because the players roll it, but the characters he is controling shouldnt immediatly decide to attack someone else because there is a block. They should at least try to attack.

Though I ussally decide who will attack who before the battle starts
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:42:24 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
I usually describe the obstacle.  Sometimes it's described to give the players an idea of how difficult it may be to overcome, but sometimes it isn't.  I never give them the numerical value of a block either way.  There's no need and it will may influence what they will do.  Sometimes, if a player is waffling on his action, I'll give him a clue.  I mean, while their character is there, the player isn't there and my description may be flawed...so I'll say something like, "you've scrambled over walls like this before, but it is sooo smooth that it's going to be much more challenging."   So I've told them it's possible, but difficult.

Most people have an idea of their limits.  I've rocked climbed for a very long time and I can look at a wall and know if it's going to be tough or not...but I really have to look at it.  Even then, there might be a tricky bit that I over/under estimate.  I definitely can't just go running at it and, at a glance, know how tough it's going to be.

Honestly, I like that better.  If a player wants to take a chance and run at the 8 shift wall blocking his path, go for it.  I'll give him a clue as to how it compares to his abilities...maybe.  If he wants to know exactly how tough it is to climb, he needs to make an assessment.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
Now the question now is, how do you handle your NPC's as a GM in that situation?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
I usually describe the obstacle.  Sometimes it's described to give the players an idea of how difficult it may be to overcome, but sometimes it isn't.  I never give them the numerical value of a block either way.  There's no need and it will may influence what they will do.  Sometimes, if a player is waffling on his action, I'll give him a clue.  I mean, while their character is there, the player isn't there and my description may be flawed...so I'll say something like, "you've scrambled over walls like this before, but it is sooo smooth that it's going to be much more challenging."   So I've told them it's possible, but difficult.

Most people have an idea of their limits.  I've rocked climbed for a very long time and I can look at a wall and know if it's going to be tough or not...but I really have to look at it.  Even then, there might be a tricky bit that I over/under estimate.  I definitely can't just go running at it and, at a glance, know how tough it's going to be.

Honestly, I like that better.  If a player wants to take a chance and run at the 8 shift wall blocking his path, go for it.  I'll give him a clue as to how it compares to his abilities...maybe.  If he wants to know exactly how tough it is to climb, he needs to make an assessment.
The thing about that, though, is what happens when he wants to invoke an aspect to climb it? Do you at least let them know if the +2 will make a difference in them climbing it?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
@Lavecki: I play them like I'd play a character.  If they have a reason to think they'd be unable to scale the wall, they'd try to find another solution.  If they beleived they could do it, they'd try.  Once one of them failed, the rest might not try...or maybe they'd assume their associate was a clumsy oaf and they'd try anyways.

It depends on the situation.  I try to play my NPC's as close to how a real person would act in a situation.  Sometimes, if I see that the PC's are stomping the opposition and it's turning into a real boring fight, I might meta-game a bit to make it more interesting...but I rarely do that.  Players notice and they don't like it.

@Mr. Death.  Yes.  I always let them know.  FP's are a metagame tool and I don't let Players waste them.  Of course telling them that a FP will or will not help, will give them a good idea what the difficulty of the task...but that makes sense because they tried it, so it makes sense to have that knowledge.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:13 AM »
And what rating do you give to the block made from a 2mm-thick encompassing stone dome?
I'm pretty sure I could punch through it with only minor effort, and I wouldn't give myself more than an Average fists score at most.  And yet, if I found myself standing under that dome, I don't believe for an instant that I could tell at a glance that it was that thin and consequently fragile.

Good point.

On the other hand, I tell people what's up when the block is established. And I think it's reasonable to say that if you watch it form you can tell roughly how thick it is.

So they can't tell exactly, but they can tell close enough that it makes no difference?

Again: Wizards, who know magic inside and out, who work with and can see magic on a wavelength that almost no one else can, need to stop and do a Lore check before they can know enough about a spell's power to counterspell it.

Yes.

My impression is that counterspelling requires some kind of magic-science analysis. But I generally ignore counterspells so I'm not exactly an expert.

But untrained goons can take one look at a spell and decide, "That's too powerful for my ability to aim with guns or throw my fists to get through?" What frame of reference are they using?

I have to ask, how many fights have you actually been in? Because I wrestled for 12 years, and frankly, that isn't true in the least. Going up against someone new, you have no idea what they're good at or able to defend against until you try it out against them. Only if you had a chance to see them wrestle before could you maybe have an idea.

Funny. That's the same amount of time I've spent doing martial arts.

I find that a quick look at somebody's stance and how they move once the fight starts gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was different for wrestling.

And with all the random variables involved with a fight or a wrestling match, even a defense that "outclasses" you can be beaten. Back in the day I could go toe-to-toe with a wrestler who was 100 pounds heavier than me, and a hell of a lot stronger, even when I was playing to his strengths, and sometimes win.

That's what the dice are for.

Right, they don't know until they roll to attack, and the enemy rolls to defend.

And with a block, the roll is made well in advance. So the information arrives in advance.

I don't necessarily tell everyone "this guy has Great Fists, dudes" but I've found that if somebody ever makes a roll it's easier just to be transparent about where the numbers come from. And if somebody asked "what are my odds of hitting this dude?" I'd tell 'em whether they're any good.

Going by the fiction, we have no reason whatsoever to assume that blocks look as strong as they are (Harry's blocks in Storm Front are described as visually almost identical to his blocks in every other book, even after we know for a fact that he's strengthened them).

I can't be bothered to look it up, but this doesn't square with my memory.

Actually, by the time of Small Favor Harry's shields are probably up around 6 or 7 shifts, given that he's made a better focus item and talks about how much tougher they are to get through. Which means it's not "sensible" at all for someone with an attack skill of 3--like most vampires--to attack him. And yet they do. Constantly, as recently as Changes.

Maneuvers can look an awful lot like attacks, narratively. And of course there are Compels.

Plus, given the need to pay for duration and the like, it's likely that Harry's shields are about Superb. So it'd often be worth attacking him with skill 3-4.

Show me where, in any of the fiction, has any character taken a quick, casual glance at a wizardly shield and figured out how strong it is from just that. To my recollection, it doesn't ever happen, even between wizards.

Sorry, my books are in a different house and buried under a bunch of stuff. Can't be bothered to do proper research for the sake of an internet argument.

But I do remember something with Harry and Molly and a snowball fight. Think it was in Summer Knight.

Hell, how many times has Harry thrown a spell at someone only to find out later that he didn't have enough strength to punch through their defenses? By your argument, Harry should have already known he couldn't get through that shield/around that speed/through that block.

That's what dice rolls are for.

By this logic, when the Merlin and LtW threw up a ward offscreen in Proven Guilty, the whole Red Court would've given up and gone home because they knew they couldn't get through it.

Or maybe they got together and tried to break it down, because maybe with teamwork they could smash it in time to chase the wizards.

Either way seems fair to me.

They'd know it was a big attack because it's filling the entire zone. Would you be able to look at, say, Luccio's laser in Dead Beat (pre-body switching) and tell that it's got a huge attack power at a glance? Logically, you'd think that Harry's beams are stronger because they tend to be a lot thicker.

Harry is impressed when he sees the laser. He can clearly tell how impressive it is.

(IIRC)

With the books and the game, we're never given the implication that putting more power into a spell makes it bigger and more obviously stronger--hell, veils are the exact opposite, the more power into it the less obvious it is.

Nonetheless, the power of a veil is pretty obvious when you look at it.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:54 AM »
Or maybe they got together and tried to break it down, because maybe with teamwork they could smash it in time to chase the wizards.

So...wouldn't this be the answer to the discussion? I mean if they want to get at one person, they will. Regardless of the power of the block. So for narrative bad guys, dictated by the GM, they should do that.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »
And for the Players, they can represent their narrative attacks with mechanical maneuvers to achieve the same result...IF they (the players) know the block strength.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »
So...wouldn't this be the answer to the discussion? I mean if they want to get at one person, they will. Regardless of the power of the block. So for narrative bad guys, dictated by the GM, they should do that.

I don't even know what the ultimate point of all this is. I'm just going argument by argument.

So maybe?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »
I believe that it is whether GM's should avoid PC with their NPC because the PC put up a block.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2013, 01:36:35 AM »
The characters should not automatically know the block strength.  The players should.

Because there's very little difference, narratively, between shooting at someone such that you force them to take cover or suffer the sting of hot lead (a block) vs shooting at someone with the hope of taking them down, but knowing that if they're good enough they may be able to take cover in time to avoid getting too badly hurt (an attack).

There's even less difference, narratively, between 'maneuvers' accumulating stress against a shield and an otherwise-narratively-identical 'attack' finally breaching that suddenly over-taxed shield.

The game-mechanics differences, though, are IMMENSE, and cannot be put to appropriate use by players if you keep them in the dark.

Fate (and the DFrpg by extension) DOES NOT WORK if it's not comparatively quite transparent.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2013, 02:00:42 AM »
I'm...not sure what your stance is here

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:54 AM »
I'm...not sure what your stance is here

Aside from my view that characters should not have automatic knowledge of success probability?  Trust your players not to metagame, or play in a system that can actually function where the GM hides game mechanics from the players.
Slough