Author Topic: Ok, Internet cookie for the person who can do this...  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, Internet cookie for the person who can do this...
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 02:53:22 AM »
I find it hard to conceive of a situation where the portion I mentioned is at all appropriate.  Certainly not ever with the justification given in the power as written.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:56 AM »
I'd argue that it's a -2 power at best for basically that reason. Some consequences have to be taggable. I'd argue it makes sense for constructs and the undead because they probably don't experience anything like our concept of pain.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:17 AM »
Even that would need a rewrite to limit the 'no tag' clause solely to consequences/tags based on pain.  And at that point, I'm not sure that a power is even necessary, as I'd handle that with the aspect mechanics (you don't get to tag an aspect based on inflicting pain to gain an advantage against a creature immune to pain; and no, they did not, do not, and should not have to spend refresh on that).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 05:11:28 AM »
I'll take a shot at Tavi sometime soonish.

But first:

I charge 1 Refresh for zone-wide Incite Effect, personally. But I don't allow multi-Aspect zone maneuvers, since those have ugly action-economy implications.

It's around there anyway, yeah.

Oh, and Natural Weaponry expands Claws to cover stuff like swords of fire.

True, though you can also just use Claws + Human Guise and let the person who buys it use Weapons and define it that way.

I don't think this is a good idea. True Aim is pretty good, and given how powerful stacking is I'm pretty sure that double True Aim plus a bunch of stunts is too strong.

I think that halving the bonus would be fair.

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe have a -4 level for the +2...my logic was that it's narrower than True Aim (which it is...at least if you grab the power sans item), but looking at it, it's not enough narrower to matter.

Well, you can already inflict consequences to boost rituals. Might be able to do something with that.

Yeah, define all Consequences inflicted as physical and throw on...something. Have to think about it.

PS: The Feel No Pain custom Power might be appropriate for metalcrafters.

If using custom powers, absolutely.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
I...don't like that power.
The tag provided by a consequence is not inherently tied to the pain associated with that injury.  Severed tendons (probably at least a moderate consequence, I'm sure) should certainly be able to be tagged to make it difficult for the character to run away on foot, not because the character's legs hurt, but because they no longer function properly.

It doesn't make the Aspect non-invokable anymore. It just makes it non-taggable.

So losing a leg during a fight is no worse than just having had one leg all along.

Full disclosure: I wrote this Power to make certain characters immune to the death spiral effect in DFRPG combat. The flavour was tacked on to justify that effect.

I'm pretty happy with it, though, since it emulates the whole "implacable man" archetype pretty well.

True, though you can also just use Claws + Human Guise and let the person who buys it use Weapons and define it that way.

Claws is Fists-only.

You could houserule that. But as long as you're houseruling...

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:22 AM »
It doesn't make the Aspect non-invokable anymore. It just makes it non-taggable.

So losing a leg during a fight is no worse than just having had one leg all along.
Suddenly being without a leg, though, SHOULD provide a momentary significant disadvantage (tag available for opponent) to a character, regarldess of whether the process of losing that leg results in significant pain.

Full disclosure: I wrote this Power to make certain characters immune to the death spiral effect in DFRPG combat. The flavour was tacked on to justify that effect.
That may be the source of the problem, as the one has almost nothing to do with the other.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 03:55:54 AM »
I thought the fluff and crunch were pretty well connected...

Anyway, I know it's kinda weird for a broken leg to provide no disadvantage unless FP are spent on it. But that's how it goes with a permanent BUM LEG Aspect too so...I think this is an acceptable degree of abstraction.

Especially with all the fictional monsters that just keep on moving after getting injured severely. The Terminator's a good example...nothing seems to slow it down until the very end (IIRC). Some zombies fit the bill too.

EDIT: By "the very end" I mean when it was reduced to crawling due to destroyed legs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:34:33 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »
So, a reasonable crack at Gaius Septimus ended with him with the full Mythic Suite save Recovery and Toughness, which were Supernatural. The various Limitations helped, but along with all the Incite Emotion, Evocation, and stunts, ended with him basically being the kind of character who could stomp Shagnasty into the ground. In a fistfight.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »
So, a reasonable crack at Gaius Septimus ended with him with the full Mythic Suite save Recovery and Toughness, which were Supernatural. The various Limitations helped, but along with all the Incite Emotion, Evocation, and stunts, ended with him basically being the kind of character who could stomp Shagnasty into the ground. In a fistfight.

Isn't Septimus Tavi's father? What did we ever see him do that justified that badassery?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
We never actually see him, but he's described as being as powerful as Sextus. Probably with more raw power than Sextus, actually, by the time we know that he's Tavi's father. Araris Valerian, the best swordsman and metalcrafter in the series, says that Septimus was his equal at the blade. In the end, it took a Marat army and at least three High Lords to kill him.