Author Topic: Evocation Blocks: Too Weak?  (Read 18993 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation Blocks: Too Weak?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:19 AM »
Magic

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
Does the 'magic' of a veil, then, similarly broadcast to the world precisely how closely they must examine their surroundings in order to penetrate this block designed and implemented for the sole purpose of evading detection?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
It's pretty clear in the books that figuring out the nature and strength of a shield or ward or veil or whatever takes some doing. It just doesn't happen in Dresden fights. When Harry has time, he can learn all sorts of things about a ward, but he doesn't just know who's warded and who's not by virtue of having magic. Similarly other wizards attack him while shielded all the time. And there'smoothing in the rules that says you automatically get to know there's a block up and how strong it is. Use the sight, use thaumaturgy, make a lore assessment, fine. Absent that, you learn when your spell bounces off of it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:44:40 AM by noclue »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
I don't really see where the assumption that enemies can't tell roughly how strong your block is comes from.
Wizards have to do a Lore check before they can counterspell anything--including blocks. So wizards, who know magic inside and out, do not automatically know the strength of a spell they're up against. Why would an untrained vampire know exactly how strong a wizard's block is relative to his own strength?

I mean, sure. IC they aren't aware of the exact mechanics. But if the block is strong enough that they have no meaningful chance of getting through, I figure vampires or soldiers or whatever can tell.
That's rather the point--there is no way for them to know. Your players don't find out an enemy's defense roll until they attack and the enemy defends, right?

There's nothing really solid in the rules about this either way. I'm just going by what makes sense to me, and what's likely to prevent metagaming.
I see it the opposite. That knowing the total block strength is something the players may know, and the characters don't. So letting all the characters automatically know the power of each spell is metagaming. It's a character benefiting from the knowledge the player has that the character has no way of knowing.

It's bloody rude to tell people they're approaching things from a video game-y perspective, or to tell them they aren't really roleplaying, when they worry about mechanical imbalances.
And as I have said, roleplaying is as much part of the game as mechanics. In the Dresden system, roleplaying is part of the mechanics.

And on top of being rude, it's pretentious and dumb. Pretentious because it implies that your method of playing pretend elfgames is somehow more sophisticated than other people's. Dumb because it implies that making stupid decisions is somehow more correct or more verisimilitudinous than making smart ones.
Sophisticated? No. I'm just saying that the game, being a roleplaying game, is meant to have the characters stay in character and their actions make sense. Having your vampires not know things that a vampire wouldn't logically know isn't "stupid," it's in character.

Because hey, in real life, and in the books, characters do not always make the most intelligent decisions. So yes, characters not always making the most optimal choice in the heat of battle is more "accurate" than everyone knowing things they shouldn't have any way to tell and acting with the utmost efficiency with every actions.

I mean, look at the books. Enemies are shooting, clawing, and blasting at Harry's shield spells constantly. By your argument, none of them should ever take a shot at him because they know his shield is stronger than their ability to attack. But that doesn't happen. Enemies only get a sense for the other side's abilities when they test them.

If a wizard has to make a lore check to figure out the strength of a spell to counterspell it, I see no reason at all that untrained characters should automatically be able to look at a shield spell and instantly and accurately determine exactly how strong it is.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Wizards have to do a Lore check before they can counterspell anything--including blocks. So wizards, who know magic inside and out, do not automatically know the strength of a spell they're up against. Why would an untrained vampire know exactly how strong a wizard's block is relative to his own strength?
That's rather the point--there is no way for them to know. Your players don't find out an enemy's defense roll until they attack and the enemy defends, right?
I see it the opposite. That knowing the total block strength is something the players may know, and the characters don't. So letting all the characters automatically know the power of each spell is metagaming. It's a character benefiting from the knowledge the player has that the character has no way of knowing.
And as I have said, roleplaying is as much part of the game as mechanics. In the Dresden system, roleplaying is part of the mechanics.
Sophisticated? No. I'm just saying that the game, being a roleplaying game, is meant to have the characters stay in character and their actions make sense. Having your vampires not know things that a vampire wouldn't logically know isn't "stupid," it's in character.

Because hey, in real life, and in the books, characters do not always make the most intelligent decisions. So yes, characters not always making the most optimal choice in the heat of battle is more "accurate" than everyone knowing things they shouldn't have any way to tell and acting with the utmost efficiency with every actions.

I mean, look at the books. Enemies are shooting, clawing, and blasting at Harry's shield spells constantly. By your argument, none of them should ever take a shot at him because they know his shield is stronger than their ability to attack. But that doesn't happen. Enemies only get a sense for the other side's abilities when they test them.

If a wizard has to make a lore check to figure out the strength of a spell to counterspell it, I see no reason at all that untrained characters should automatically be able to look at a shield spell and instantly and accurately determine exactly how strong it is.
The problem with this line of thought really has nothing to do with mechanics versus roleplaying, or even with this game itself.  The problem is that it ignores human psychology.  Once you learn something, you can't forcibly unlearn it.  Play a game of chess by yourself and you will subconsciously begin to favor one side over the other. 

This isn't something that can be roleplayed away.  It's hard-wired human thought process. 

It's also already been mentioned that outside of compels, there's NO way to enforce this kind of thinking onto the players without turning into GM Dictator.  A GM can say "well your character doesn't know the guy is behind a magic shield" till they turn blue.  A playing can still say "okay I don't know that.  I'm still not attacking him because I get to choose who my player attacks."

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
The problem with this line of thought really has nothing to do with mechanics versus roleplaying, or even with this game itself.  The problem is that it ignores human psychology.  Once you learn something, you can't forcibly unlearn it.  Play a game of chess by yourself and you will subconsciously begin to favor one side over the other. 

This isn't something that can be roleplayed away.  It's hard-wired human thought process. 

It's also already been mentioned that outside of compels, there's NO way to enforce this kind of thinking onto the players without turning into GM Dictator.  A GM can say "well your character doesn't know the guy is behind a magic shield" till they turn blue.  A playing can still say "okay I don't know that.  I'm still not attacking him because I get to choose who my player attacks."

Except of course not telling players things like this their characters are unaware of.

Am I the only one who does this? I'd rather thought it was the norm... ???

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Except of course not telling players things like this their characters are unaware of.

Am I the only one who does this? I'd rather thought it was the norm... ???
I can't say if it's the norm or not, but I don't.  I try and maintain the same level of transparancy with my players as they have to with me.  With Fate even more so than other systems, given the collaborative nature of the game.  That and I know a few roleplayers who would probably resent a GM for hiding their roll results if it prevented them from making an informed decision haha.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
What? My understanding is that players explicitly aren't supposed to know everything that the GM knows. For every game i've seen here as a PbP, the GM never just says "these are the monster's stats and tendencies". You're lucky if he tells you what it is.

But I was a DND 3.5 junkie for a while, so I might have a skewed perspective.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
Our GM doesn't tell us about blocks we have no way of knowing about, and he's super transparent. Why would I want him to tell me "Before you consider attacking anyone, please know the Vampire is protected by a Block 7 shield, the ghoul has a block 10 shield protecting him. So you should probably attack the Vampire." How about instead if I jump in, blast away at the Vampire (or the Ghoul) and then he say's "Cool! Let's see if it gets past the shield. You'll need to beat a 7. That's what a great evocation?"

Then there's all sorts of cool effects as my spell either bounces off the shield, or blows it away. And I get to invoke my aspects and all that fun stuff that Fate does.

For something we would know about, like being pinned down by bullets, sure. He might say, "You'll need a great athletics roll to run through that" or whatever. A wall of fire, sure. We'd see a massive wall of flames, but we'd have to do more to get any idea about it's strength. Heck it might be an illusion.

But a magic shield that we can't see? Why would he tell us about that before we throw our attack?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:55:17 PM by noclue »

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
And like you said, even if you do see it, you aren't going to know it's strength until you try to attack it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:34 AM »

Literally impossible.

Characters don't know about Aspects, dice rolls, skill ratings, Powers, or Fate Points.

You have to inform your players about stuff their characters don't know.

Of course, there are plenty of places you can draw the line and from what I know about your approach it sounds reasonable. But I'm dead certain that even you inform your players about things the PCs don't know.

No, I'd apply that standard (ie: non-spellcasters need an Assessment to tell how badass a spell is) pretty much universally. It'd usually be a Lore assessment, though I might allow Scholarship or (in cases like the stone wall) Craftsmanship if those seemed appropriate.

Could work, but I dislike the idea of giving spellcasters special extra abilities beyond what's in the rules. They really don't need that.

I usually don't tell characters mechanics stuff, just what appears to have happened, ie: 'You punch him and he loses teeth', or 'He raises a wall of fire'. I tell them any Consequences they inflict, but beyond that I usually don't worry about giving them mechanical details too much, as, IME, it tends to make things less narrative and more mechanic focused, which I personally like to avoid...if doing things this way the only one who needs to avoid metagaming is the GM...and he needs to do that anyway.

I never tell the characters anything. (Were you making a distinction between character and player there? I can't tell.)

But I can't really be bothered to keep basic mechanical stuff secret from the players. It's a hassle, especially when Aspects get involved, because when somebody misses they'll often want to know whether they could hit by spending a Fate Point.

Would someone like to clue me in as to just what it is about a solid wall of stone (or other opaque solid substance) seen only face-on that tells you, for instance, how thick that wall is?

A 2-shift stone wall is probably like a low fence made of rock. A 12-shift stone wall is a huge-ass granite dome or something similar.

That's the way I run it, at least. Looking at the thing lets you tell whether you have a decent shot at getting through.

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many people would make a 2 shift and a 12 shift block look identical.

It's unbalanced if the invisible dome is invisible and he stone wall looks like a stone wall?

If the stone wall gives away useful information to your enemies and the invisible dome does not, the dome is better. They cost the same. That's not balanced.

I've said repeatedly that an untrained vampire wouldn't know exactly how strong a wizard's block is. But they'd generally be able to tell if the block is so strong as to make attacking futile.

I'm a pretty mediocre fighter. Fair Fists, tops. But I can tell whether my punches are likely to land long before I throw them.

This isn't hard. Anyone with even the slightest skill can tell when they're up against a (mundane) defence that outclasses them completely.

Magic could be different, but I don't see any particular reason to make it so.

They know when the roll is made. That goes for blocks and defence rolls and pretty much everything else.

Ugh. This is some pretty ugly circular reasoning, dude.

If you start with the assumption that people can't tell how strong a block is by looking at it casually, then obviously you'll reach the conclusion that it's not appropriate for people to be able to tell how strong a block is by looking at it casually.

But if you assume that blocks look about as strong as they are, then the question of metagaming does not even arise. Characters know more or less what players know, completely legitimately, so OoC knowledge cannot be exploited.

The issue is the nonsensical elitism, not what it's appropriate for characters to do. Don't tell people they're playing the game wrong. Just don't. Ever.

Informing people how the mechanics work is okay, but even then you have to be careful to avoid passing moral judgement. This can be tricky and I'm sure I've screwed it up a few times, but I try. And so should you.

Also, an action being in character does not make it not stupid. IC stupidity is totally a thing. And that's okay, but it's not mandatory. Especially if Compels aren't involved.

First, Harry's shields suck and attacking him when they're up is pretty sensible. Harry is like the perfect example of what not to do with evocation blocks.

Second, Compels are important. They're what prevents ultra-rational decision making.

And third, characters frequently scope one another out at a glance. It's not even slightly rare.

Suppose the Merlin were to throw out a weapon 12 zone attack. Everyone can tell that that's a big attack. I don't see much reason to treat blocks differently.

PS: Is this argument connected to the original one? I don't see much of a link. But I'm OK with topic drift, as long as the rest of you are.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
A 2-shift stone wall is probably like a low fence made of rock. A 12-shift stone wall is a huge-ass granite dome or something similar.

That's the way I run it, at least. Looking at the thing lets you tell whether you have a decent shot at getting through.

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many people would make a 2 shift and a 12 shift block look identical.
And what rating do you give to the block made from a 2mm-thick encompassing stone dome?
I'm pretty sure I could punch through it with only minor effort, and I wouldn't give myself more than an Average fists score at most.  And yet, if I found myself standing under that dome, I don't believe for an instant that I could tell at a glance that it was that thin and consequently fragile.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
I've said repeatedly that an untrained vampire wouldn't know exactly how strong a wizard's block is. But they'd generally be able to tell if the block is so strong as to make attacking futile.
So they can't tell exactly, but they can tell close enough that it makes no difference?

Again: Wizards, who know magic inside and out, who work with and can see magic on a wavelength that almost no one else can, need to stop and do a Lore check before they can know enough about a spell's power to counterspell it.

But untrained goons can take one look at a spell and decide, "That's too powerful for my ability to aim with guns or throw my fists to get through?" What frame of reference are they using?

I'm a pretty mediocre fighter. Fair Fists, tops. But I can tell whether my punches are likely to land long before I throw them.

This isn't hard. Anyone with even the slightest skill can tell when they're up against a (mundane) defence that outclasses them completely.

Magic could be different, but I don't see any particular reason to make it so.
I have to ask, how many fights have you actually been in? Because I wrestled for 12 years, and frankly, that isn't true in the least. Going up against someone new, you have no idea what they're good at or able to defend against until you try it out against them. Only if you had a chance to see them wrestle before could you maybe have an idea.

And with all the random variables involved with a fight or a wrestling match, even a defense that "outclasses" you can be beaten. Back in the day I could go toe-to-toe with a wrestler who was 100 pounds heavier than me, and a hell of a lot stronger, even when I was playing to his strengths, and sometimes win.

They know when the roll is made. That goes for blocks and defence rolls and pretty much everything else.
Right, they don't know until they roll to attack, and the enemy rolls to defend.

Ugh. This is some pretty ugly circular reasoning, dude.

If you start with the assumption that people can't tell how strong a block is by looking at it casually, then obviously you'll reach the conclusion that it's not appropriate for people to be able to tell how strong a block is by looking at it casually.

But if you assume that blocks look about as strong as they are, then the question of metagaming does not even arise. Characters know more or less what players know, completely legitimately, so OoC knowledge cannot be exploited.
Going by the fiction, we have no reason whatsoever to assume that blocks look as strong as they are (Harry's blocks in Storm Front are described as visually almost identical to his blocks in every other book, even after we know for a fact that he's strengthened them).

First, Harry's shields suck and attacking him when they're up is pretty sensible. Harry is like the perfect example of what not to do with evocation blocks.
Actually, by the time of Small Favor Harry's shields are probably up around 6 or 7 shifts, given that he's made a better focus item and talks about how much tougher they are to get through. Which means it's not "sensible" at all for someone with an attack skill of 3--like most vampires--to attack him. And yet they do. Constantly, as recently as Changes.

And third, characters frequently scope one another out at a glance. It's not even slightly rare.
Show me where, in any of the fiction, has any character taken a quick, casual glance at a wizardly shield and figured out how strong it is from just that. To my recollection, it doesn't ever happen, even between wizards.

Hell, how many times has Harry thrown a spell at someone only to find out later that he didn't have enough strength to punch through their defenses? By your argument, Harry should have already known he couldn't get through that shield/around that speed/through that block.

By this logic, when the Merlin and LtW threw up a ward offscreen in Proven Guilty, the whole Red Court would've given up and gone home because they knew they couldn't get through it.

Suppose the Merlin were to throw out a weapon 12 zone attack. Everyone can tell that that's a big attack. I don't see much reason to treat blocks differently.
They'd know it was a big attack because it's filling the entire zone. Would you be able to look at, say, Luccio's laser in Dead Beat (pre-body switching) and tell that it's got a huge attack power at a glance? Logically, you'd think that Harry's beams are stronger because they tend to be a lot thicker.

With the books and the game, we're never given the implication that putting more power into a spell makes it bigger and more obviously stronger--hell, veils are the exact opposite, the more power into it the less obvious it is.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
So they can't tell exactly, but they can tell close enough that it makes no difference?

Again: Wizards, who know magic inside and out, who work with and can see magic on a wavelength that almost no one else can, need to stop and do a Lore check before they can know enough about a spell's power to counterspell it.

But untrained goons can take one look at a spell and decide, "That's too powerful for my ability to aim with guns or throw my fists to get through?" What frame of reference are they using?
I have to ask, how many fights have you actually been in? Because I wrestled for 12 years, and frankly, that isn't true in the least. Going up against someone new, you have no idea what they're good at or able to defend against until you try it out against them. Only if you had a chance to see them wrestle before could you maybe have an idea.

And with all the random variables involved with a fight or a wrestling match, even a defense that "outclasses" you can be beaten. Back in the day I could go toe-to-toe with a wrestler who was 100 pounds heavier than me, and a hell of a lot stronger, even when I was playing to his strengths, and sometimes win.
Right, they don't know until they roll to attack, and the enemy rolls to defend.
Going by the fiction, we have no reason whatsoever to assume that blocks look as strong as they are (Harry's blocks in Storm Front are described as visually almost identical to his blocks in every other book, even after we know for a fact that he's strengthened them).
Actually, by the time of Small Favor Harry's shields are probably up around 6 or 7 shifts, given that he's made a better focus item and talks about how much tougher they are to get through. Which means it's not "sensible" at all for someone with an attack skill of 3--like most vampires--to attack him. And yet they do. Constantly, as recently as Changes.
Show me where, in any of the fiction, has any character taken a quick, casual glance at a wizardly shield and figured out how strong it is from just that. To my recollection, it doesn't ever happen, even between wizards.

Hell, how many times has Harry thrown a spell at someone only to find out later that he didn't have enough strength to punch through their defenses? By your argument, Harry should have already known he couldn't get through that shield/around that speed/through that block.

By this logic, when the Merlin and LtW threw up a ward offscreen in Proven Guilty, the whole Red Court would've given up and gone home because they knew they couldn't get through it.
They'd know it was a big attack because it's filling the entire zone. Would you be able to look at, say, Luccio's laser in Dead Beat (pre-body switching) and tell that it's got a huge attack power at a glance? Logically, you'd think that Harry's beams are stronger because they tend to be a lot thicker.

With the books and the game, we're never given the implication that putting more power into a spell makes it bigger and more obviously stronger--hell, veils are the exact opposite, the more power into it the less obvious it is.

Hey, you! Stop being reasonable.  I want to metagame!  Waah!   ::)

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
The wresteling analogy is flawed.  We aren't talking about two people duking it out.  This is more like the difference between trying to jump over a 5 foot chain link fence, and trying to jump over a 15 foot brick wall.  It's certainly possible to scale a 15 foot wall, bit it requires an entirely different approach.  And I agree with the notion that narrative flavoring should not give mechanical benefit.  Remember by the RAW a block is a block is a block.  There's mechanically no difference between a giant wall of fire as a block, or an invisible shield as a block.

Now you can of course make an arguement for hiding block strength results, though I'm roundly against that for a multitude of reasons.  The first being it's an arbitrary decision to hide roll results of one specific mechanic.  Second it implies it's not okay for the players to know OoC information, but it's perfectly fine for the GM.  This not only facilitates, but encourages adversarial behavior between GM and players, and downright shady behavior with the wrong kind of GM.

Making exceptions, hiding roll results, and making the game generally more convoluted with no real rules to back it up, all for the sake of narration that likely isn't even plot relevant?  It just doesn't sit well with me personally.