Author Topic: Mab and Lara  (Read 26628 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mab and Lara
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
I agree with Dina, what does "technically" mean exactly?  It's kind of like being a "little bit" pregnant, ether you are or you aren't.. I know there are teenagers that discount having oral sex for example as having sex because there was no penetration...Exactly, but it is still sex, and then being a "virgin" depends on how narrowly or broadly you want to define the term.

Yep, and Mab and Jim have been clear on the pregnancy part being the risk and that a Lady with "good self control" can do "some things" with a quiescent Mantle.

Pretty strong implication the Mantle counts vaginal only

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 07:49:39 PM »
It is actually a funny conversation:

Her face turned pink and she hid her face in her hands. “I… I… well. I’m a virgin.”
I arched an eyebrow at her.
She glanced up at me, blushed more, and added, “Technically.”
“Technically,” I said.
“Urn. I’ve… explored. Most of the bases.”
“I see,” I said. “Well, Magellan, no baserunning or boldly going where no man has gone before for you—not until you get yourself grounded. Sex makes things complicated, and for you that could be bad.”
“But…”
“And no, ah, solo exploration either.”
She blinked at me and asked in a blank tone, “Why?”
“You’ll go blind,” I said, and walked up to her front

You just have to guess what is meant by technically but I don’t think she had a hymen repair operation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:51:21 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »
Yep, and Mab and Jim have been clear on the pregnancy part being the risk and that a Lady with "good self control" can do "some things" with a quiescent Mantle.

Pretty strong implication the Mantle counts vaginal only
That falls among the dumbest things he has ever said.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
That falls among the dumbest things he has ever said.

His world, his physics.

I expect it's intended as part of his "the Fae are super old school, preChristian old school" reasoning.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
Arjan, Ok, that explains it. I had totally forgotten about that. Wow, Harry was such a jerk there.

So, if being a virgin is a pre-requisite for being a Lady, Harry telling him that sex is bad for her is tragic in rereading. It would have saved her.

If being a virgin is not a prerequisite (as Lily and Sarissa apparently imply) then it is not relevant for the mantle thing.

And yes, the mantle clearly is concerned only about vaginal penetration. Still, will it be modern enough to accept it if the male wears a condom and if she uses a IUD?  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
Arjan, Ok, that explains it. I had totally forgotten about that. Wow, Harry was such a jerk there.

So, if being a virgin is a pre-requisite for being a Lady, Harry telling him that sex is bad for her is tragic in rereading. It would have saved her.

If being a virgin is not a prerequisite (as Lily and Sarissa apparently imply) then it is not relevant for the mantle thing.

And yes, the mantle clearly is concerned only about vaginal penetration. Still, will it be modern enough to accept it if the male wears a condom and if she uses a IUD?  :D
I think the mantle is too old school for that.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »

Non zero probability.

Academic question, can it recognize an old school functional castrati? Or a..tie on..toy?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
Not sure about the castrati, but I would say that the toy, yes, it will recognize it as not dangerous.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 08:51:50 PM »
Non zero probability.

Academic question, can it recognize an old school functional castrati? Or a..tie on..toy?
Jim probably won’t touch the topic with a ten feet pole but traditionally there is a great deal of significance attributed to the hymen. 
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2020, 09:52:58 PM »
Mab eyeballing Lara as a potential replacement makes a lot of sense, especially when you look at the functions of the mantles and why they operate that way.  My read on the situation is that the Lady mantle denies it's holder sex as a means of teaching control and responsibility and restraint.  Once they have learned to master that then they might be ready to be the next Mab/Titania.  But looking at the history and what Jim has said about each of the mantles, the higher you go the less likely there is change (I believe he said Mother Summer has changed once, and Mother Winter has never given up her post).  That tracks with what we know of Mab...she's been Mab for a thousand years, and the only Winter Ladies we know of are Maeve and Molly...there obviously were Winter Ladies before Maeve, so the question is whether they were actual daughters of Mab, and more importantly, were they discarded because they showed the same lack of restraint as Maeve?  I think the answer to that is a yes, and it also explains why Mab does not want her mantle to pass to Molly yet--she doesn't think she has the necessary control and restraint.  Lara then, having managed to gain control over her demon (at least as much as possible) presents an ideal alternative if something should happen to Mab, someone who has demonstrated restraint and control and can operate without passion if necessary.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »
His world, his physics.

I expect it's intended as part of his "the Fae are super old school, preChristian old school" reasoning.
He sounds like a 15 year old boy talking to his girlfriend.

Consider what happens if Mab dies and the brakes come off Molly's libido.  Harry becomes a blowup doll and Molly's personal puppet.  No wonder Mab said to kill her. ROFL!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 10:16:52 PM »
No, he sounds like an ignorant.

And I think Molly would be stronger than that-

Lara makes a lot of sense and she will be great. She has a great mind and is hard.

Ok, here is a WAG: Harry is destined to eliminate all vampires. He already did it with the red ones and he will do it with the Black when  he kills Drakul and everyone discovers that the old trope of "killing the vampire boss kills every one under them" is true. Then come the whites. Harry will probably discover a way to do kill the hunger, which will be great for Thomas and his baby but not so much for elder vampires, who will die without the hunger. Well, that is why becoming  Lady will be so important for her. It will provide an escape for Molly that did not complicate things for the universe.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2020, 10:31:20 PM »
Exactly, but it is still sex, and then being a "virgin" depends on how narrowly or broadly you want to define the term.
It's not just teenage girls. I remember a certain political kerfuffle all about this in the 90s. I also remember plenty of people saying teenagers placed major reliance on the technically not sex argument because of the political conversation. I'm fairly certain that line of thinking predated that controversy and it didn't make it all that much more popular than it had been.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 03:17:12 AM »
Not sure about the castrati, but I would say that the toy, yes, it will recognize it as not dangerous.

Well, he'd sing with a beautiful soprano voice anyway.... ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2020, 05:08:27 AM »
Well, he'd sing with a beautiful soprano voice anyway.... ::)
Does not work. You have to do it before the voice breaks.
SH[Elaine+++]