Author Topic: Mab and Lara  (Read 26336 times)

Offline jacenskylo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mab and Lara
« on: October 16, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »
So I don’t normally post to the forum because anytime I have an idea or theory somebody beat me to it and that’s fine obviously many of you are much quicker on the uptake than I am. But I was re-reading Peace Talks and Battle Ground and I wanted to put out a theory and see what everybody thought.

Judging by the way Mab and Lara conducted themselves in the last two books does anybody else get the feeling or impression that Mab is grooming Lara to be her successor as the winter queen? I know this sounds crazy but hear me out. We’ve seen in several of the books that white court vampires have difficulty managing their emotions and their appetites but for the most part Lara has always had a pretty good lid on her emotions which would be an asset to winter. Furthermore we’ve also seen with the way that Lara handles and manages the white court is not altogether all that different from the way Mab manages the winter court and that this is why Mab wants to get Dresden and Lara together.

If this theory has already been put out then feel free to ignore this thread but I just wanted to put this out here

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Mab and Lara
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:25:54 PM »
I had not thought on that before, but it's a very good idea. It could begin being a replace for Molly (Harry is convinced there is a way to free Molly of her duties)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 01:08:25 AM »
I think you are on to something, but haven't followed your idea to the logical conclusion. Mab suspected that she would die, so would have planned for it.
She knew that Molly couldn't cope as Queen, warning Dresden to kill Molly: so would have set things up so that Lara would become Lady when Molly was promoted, giving Lara time to get a hang on Winter before the enforced celibacy turned Lara insane - crazy Lara would then be in a position to kill Molly and take the job of Queen.
Mab would only warn Dresden so that he could plan a 'die for a few minutes' trick on Molly, allowing Molly to revert to mortal, and thus be in a position to become Lady again with Lara's promotion.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 03:08:18 AM »

That could very well be the plan, but to me if that is her plan, I think it will lead to disaster for everyone.  Perhaps if Mab has a way to kill the Hunger Demon, it could work, especially if it means freeing Molly.  But I cannot see Harry going along with anything less than the two for, or three for, got to include dealing with Thomas's demon as well.  But a vampire Winter Queen?  Mab must be infested if that is her idea.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »
We know that the Fae can impact the Hunger but to what extent? Is it possible for a Whampire to become Winter Lady or Winter Queen? Is it possible for her to go straight to Winter Queen? Mab would certainly have many options in play should she fall in battle one of which could also be for Summer to take over outer gate defense giving Molly time to get prepared, time for Lara to be Winter Lady or Winter Queen, anything really.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 04:25:05 AM »
This is an interesting thought.

Mab believes that White Court Vampires are "mortal enough" to be vessels for the Fae mantels.  She told Harry that Thomas would be his replacement if Harry didn't play ball.

Also consider that the Winter Mother was able to construct an enchantment that COULD have taken the thirst away from Susan.  Leansidhe was able to quiet the thirst for both Susan and Martin.  Harry immediately realized the implication -- if she could do that, then with some study, the thirst could be eliminated. 

The White Court is every bit as human as the half-turned reds like Susan and Martin. I don't think Lara's hunger would be any obstacle to the Winter Mother, or Mab or even Leansidhe.   

Lara would make a pretty good Winter Queen.  Much better at it than Molly. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 04:49:27 AM »
She believed Thomas was mortal enough because he is in love. Lara is definitely not mortal enough.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:54:39 AM »
I am also wondering if a woman needs to be a virgin when she becomes a Winter Lady or if, even if she isn't, she became a maiden anew after she receives the mantle.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
I am also wondering if a woman needs to be a virgin when she becomes a Winter Lady or if, even if she isn't, she became a maiden anew after she receives the mantle.
While we don't know exactly what happened to Lily pre-SK, the implication seems pretty strong that she just needs to be not-a-mother.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »
While we don't know exactly what happened to Lily pre-SK, the implication seems pretty strong that she just needs to be not-a-mother.

Somehow it seems like Lily and virgin hadn't been used in the same sentence for  a while, tends to support the not-a-mother.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
That's also the Summer Lady. Requirements may be different for Winter Lady.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
Sure, but then our datapoints are Maeve and Molly only. Makes it hard to get any kind of conclusion.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
Thanks for proving that I am not the only one thinking that. Given than Summer is associated with fertility, I would think that a virgin Lady may not be a requirement.
But the Winter mantle is asking for virginity, not for non-mother (otherwhise, there are a number of measures that could be taken to allow Molly to have fun without being a mom. In fact, one would expect that the mantle itself would prevent the conception).
One point in favor of virginity happening anew when the girl receives the mantle was that IIRC Sarissa was trying to seduce Harry.  And she was the Lady that Mab had in mind.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Lehane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »
Lily was upset when she became the Summer Lady that her dreams of having a family were gone.

I had originally in SK assumed that it was just the duty of the Summer Lady getting in the way and was kinda confused as to how it couldn't be worked around.

Then the Molly short Story explained it if the Summer/Winter Ladies have the same restriction.

Given the Courts' emphasis on balance I wouldn't bet on there being different restrictions personally.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 01:54:50 AM »
Jim has said that the Summer Lady's mantle works the same way, but instead of a beating, the potential partner goes to sleep.