Author Topic: Harry's Duster and the dangerous world of Chicago  (Read 12492 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's Duster and the dangerous world of Chicago
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »
Not unlike the one-use super barrier crystal he gave Molly to use in TC.

Yeah, closer to a single-use device, like his belt buckle, for instance. Except not one that will take him a few months' worth of weekends to maintain and leave him feeling like he was dead.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
Yeah, closer to a single-use device, like his belt buckle, for instance. Except not one that will take him a few months' worth of weekends to maintain and leave him feeling like he was dead.
People always mention the Bear Buckle's own downsides, and there is the WOJ that he decided it was more dangerous than it was worth.  But it is also worth noting that before long he was dumping all his time, energy, and spare magic into Little Chicago, which had at least as much magic-storage in it (based on bob's cautionary statements on it)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:46 PM »
People always mention the Bear Buckle's own downsides, and there is the WOJ that he decided it was more dangerous than it was worth.  But it is also worth noting that before long he was dumping all his time, energy, and spare magic into Little Chicago, which had at least as much magic-storage in it (based on bob's cautionary statements on it)
Personally, I think Jim decided it was too OP. He wants Die Hard, not Die Hard 4.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »
Personally, I think Jim decided it was too OP. He wants Die Hard, not Die Hard 4.
You shut your blasphemous mouth...There were only ever two Die Hard Movies: Legend of Hans Gruber the First, and The Revenge of Cousin Simon. 

Jeez, next you'll be saying there were some sort of Pre-Trilogy for Star Wars, or that they are still making Alien movies... ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »
You shut your blasphemous mouth...There were only ever two Die Hard Movies: Legend of Hans Gruber the First, and The Revenge of Cousin Simon. 

Jeez, next you'll be saying there were some sort of Pre-Trilogy for Star Wars, or that they are still making Alien movies... ;)

What do you mean by "Pre-Trilogy?" Star Wars canon only has three movies, and an amazing Christmas special about the social life of Wookies on Kashyyyk.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

I thought Jim said he didn't like it because it was too much like Batman with his belt and other gadgets turning him into that?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 06:35:28 PM »
I always liked gadgeteer characters. Favorite Forgotten Realms characters were always Cadderly and Jarlaxle, mostly for those reasons. Until R.A. Salvatore decided to destroy any future for those characters and I stopped reading, anyway.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »
What do you mean by "Pre-Trilogy?" Star Wars canon only has three movies, and an amazing Christmas special about the social life of Wookies on Kashyyyk.
Hmm, I suppose "Amazing" is one word you could use  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Not unlike the one-use super barrier crystal he gave Molly to use in TC.

I was also thinking this, but again how would having those two spells sitting side by side etched in to the same artifact.  I think maybe the hat could hold the one off force bubble that protects him head to toe for 24 hours. 

Also don't forget with something like that it needs to keep stuff from coming in, but also allow stuff to get out. 

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
I was also thinking this, but again how would having those two spells sitting side by side etched in to the same artifact.  I think maybe the hat could hold the one off force bubble that protects him head to toe for 24 hours. 

Also don't forget with something like that it needs to keep stuff from coming in, but also allow stuff to get out.

Pfft, who needs things like air or sound waves?

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 11:07:33 PM »
Pfft, who needs things like air or sound waves?
Weaklings and newbies. All a real wizard needs are 3 things:
  • black leather duster
  • kick ass hat
  • A long phallic multi purpose stick
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
the common problem duster was needing repair lot of times harry doesn't have enough resource or connections to grab some real gear. as know harry has box full of diamonds and connection to some serious crafters so if harry want to have solid protective armor all he needs to do is walk down to molly's place and let dwarfs hook him up with decent duster to beat big bad of the book plus if the situation calls it i bet mab gives harry new gear along with enough training to let it be unnecessary  for harry on long run. as winter mantle slowly makes sure harry has insticts to protects his rear thus harry only needs to make sure he taps the combat instict of mantle the time combat starts all armor eventualy be useless in long run

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Weaklings and newbies. All a real wizard needs are 3 things:
  • black leather duster
  • kick ass hat
  • A long phallic multi purpose stick

excuse me. It's Traditional Ozark Folk Art

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
excuse me. It's Traditional Ozark Folk Art

I wonder if that excuse would work in reality.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 02:46:01 PM »
I wonder if that excuse would work in reality.

With today's PC/law suit world I am sure in most places all he will need to do is make a scene and it will be allowed past.  Security people are always scrutinized for unfair treatment of individuals and are more then happy to avoid scenes.

Also Hipsters.