Author Topic: Harry's Duster and the dangerous world of Chicago  (Read 12492 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's Duster and the dangerous world of Chicago
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
Could be wrong but didn't Harry use Soulfire for his duster, and it later became known that such an object could be dangerous to the magic user because of this intimate connection with the object?

I wonder if he could rig enchanted gear to explode if, say, it gets more than twenty feet from him in any situation other than being properly disarmed and stored at his home. The crystal shield from TC had a destructive function, and the shield item Madrigal was using in the duel in WN let off a fair bit of energy when suddenly broken.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
I wonder if he could rig enchanted gear to explode if, say, it gets more than twenty feet from him in any situation other than being properly disarmed and stored at his home. The crystal shield from TC had a destructive function, and the shield item Madrigal was using in the duel in WN let off a fair bit of energy when suddenly broken.
Come on now man, He's got a kid around now.  He cant go walking around with pockets full of hand-grenades.  Sharp Objects are even a grey area
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
Come on now man, He's got a kid around now.  He cant go walking around with pockets full of hand-grenades.  Sharp Objects are even a grey area

Dang it, now I want a short story of Harry baby-proofing Chicago. (Anyone else listen to the Thrilling Adventure Hour? Sparks Nevada baby-proofs Mars, stopping virtually all crime in a matter of a few weeks, and it's as funny as it sounds. As a further tangent, Mark Evan Jackson's is precisely the voice I hear for Harry's dialogue.)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

He's going to need some sort of weapons locker for the perfectly normal firearms anyway if Maggie is around. Might as well have a docking station for storing magical things-that-go-boom safely.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
One thing to consider is Harry needs to keep maintaining his gear in the Earth realm.  Every new sunset degrades magical energies.  However Jim has said that all the members of the Senior Council have their own private pockets in the NeverNever...  He didn't use the words "private pockets"..  The word sounded like Demazeen or something similar, I looked it up at the time and it meant something like "domain" but I haven't been able to find the exact spelling since then and can't remember the word.  Demazeen, Demazin, something like that.  Could it have been Denizen?  When Jim said it it didn't sound like that, more like Denizeen but that could be it maybe

Anyways if Harry began stashing gear in the NeverNever it may not degrade as quickly which means he could make more magical stuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:28:29 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 11:42:06 PM »
He's going to need some sort of weapons locker for the perfectly normal firearms anyway if Maggie is around. Might as well have a docking station for storing magical things-that-go-boom safely.
Knock knock....
- Who's there?
- Beast badass come to kick your ass.
- Oh, give me 5 minutes to get my stuff and I'll be right out.
Bleh. Doesn't work.
Okay, on a serious note, maybe magick a little spot to be invisible to anyone but him. Yep...
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 05:18:58 AM »
One thing to consider is Harry needs to keep maintaining his gear in the Earth realm.  Every new sunset degrades magical energies.  However Jim has said that all the members of the Senior Council have their own private pockets in the NeverNever...  He didn't use the words "private pockets"..  The word sounded like Demazeen or something similar, I looked it up at the time and it meant something like "domain" but I haven't been able to find the exact spelling since then and can't remember the word.  Demazeen, Demazin, something like that.  Could it have been Denizen?  When Jim said it it didn't sound like that, more like Denizeen but that could be it maybe

Just guessing, probably 'demesne'.  There are various pronunciations.

Offline Moonlight Wolf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »
LordDresden beat me to it.  Demesne was the word used.  I had to reset my password to get back logged in, but I'm back now.  Though all I ever do is lurk.  Hello to all the old names and the new ones as well!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »
Just guessing, probably 'demesne'.  There are various pronunciations.

Yes!  Exactly, thank you.  So Jim said all the members on the Senior Council have a demesne in the Nevernever... 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Yes!  Exactly, thank you.  So Jim said all the members on the Senior Council have a demesne in the Nevernever...
Yes, same word used in GP to describe the private pocket dimension that the ghost of Agatha Hagglethorn had on the NN side.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
What I'd like to see is an upgrade for the duster; where it can spread the kinetic energy of the incoming projectile evenly across the body. Front and back, if possible.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »
What I'd like to see is an upgrade for the duster; where it can spread the kinetic energy of the incoming projectile evenly across the body. Front and back, if possible.
Something that extends it out across his whol aura rather than the literal cover of the leather would be nice.  He saw it done in Changes when Lea made those protections for Susan, and an example on stage has been an easy source of upgrade before (see how many times he's mentioned adapting Rashid's eye salve).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Something that extends it out across his whol aura rather than the literal cover of the leather would be nice.  He saw it done in Changes when Lea made those protections for Susan, and an example on stage has been an easy source of upgrade before (see how many times he's mentioned adapting Rashid's eye salve).

I wonder what the life time on a spell like that would be.  It would be interesting to see Harry weigh the strengths of his spells vs the duration.  He says he is close to a year before having to rework the duster spells.  It would be interesting if he would give up say 6 months of duration to increase the strength and space of the spell. 

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
I wonder what the life time on a spell like that would be.  It would be interesting to see Harry weigh the strengths of his spells vs the duration.  He says he is close to a year before having to rework the duster spells.  It would be interesting if he would give up say 6 months of duration to increase the strength and space of the spell.

I think he could circumvent that with some creativity. Figure out how to add in the second, aura-level protection in addition to his normal kinetic enchantment. The aura-level stuff could be a temporary thing—activate it, and it functions for a couple of days before he has to lay the enchantment back down. That way he always has his bulletproofing, which is the biggest concern most of the time, but when he's going up against nasty magic, he can pop his extra layer. It might take some of the pressure off his shield, too, which was frequently a concern.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
I think he could circumvent that with some creativity. Figure out how to add in the second, aura-level protection in addition to his normal kinetic enchantment. The aura-level stuff could be a temporary thing—activate it, and it functions for a couple of days before he has to lay the enchantment back down. That way he always has his bulletproofing, which is the biggest concern most of the time, but when he's going up against nasty magic, he can pop his extra layer. It might take some of the pressure off his shield, too, which was frequently a concern.
Not unlike the one-use super barrier crystal he gave Molly to use in TC.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/