Author Topic: Did Harry focus the Tank?  (Read 10571 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Did Harry focus the Tank?
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »
It's been said that the Gatekeeper cannot step on Demonreach because he "focused the Tank"...  I'm wondering if during Changes Harry along with Lea, Odin, 2 KoTC, the Blackstaff, and others were focusing the Tank (Red King).  Where was Cowl?  When this pivotal battle was going on, was there something else going on that was missed?  Were they lured into a battle so that Cowl, and the Black Council could be making their move somewhere else?

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Did Harry focus the Tank?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
My take is that the Black Council/Circle is a catspaw of Nemesis.  I think they are maneuvering to get more of the outsiders, inside.

I think that the vampires were trying to position themselves to take over the defense of the outer Gates.  I think they believe that they would gain a BUNCH of power by doing so.

I think the aim of Chichen Itza, from the vampire perspective, was to take out the defenders of Humanity, so that the Vampires would be able to create more and more troops to man the Outer Gates.

I think the Rampires being wiped out might have endangered the transition of power that is going to occur at the Outer Gates.

Further, I think Nick's endgame was to get the artifacts from Hades' vault to find a way to seal the Outer Gates permanently. I think Harry is going to do just that.  I think it might just cut off all magic when he does it, too.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
For those of us that do not play League of Legends, can somebody explain what the term "Focus the Tank" actually means in context?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Putting a lot of effort into whittling down a mountain of HP (the tank) rather than prioritizing the more crucial enemies.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:18 PM »
Putting a lot of effort into whittling down a mountain of HP (the tank) rather than prioritizing the more crucial enemies.

So... Rashid previously messed up a defense of Demonreach in the past by trying to take down something that was too tough for him while Demonreach was left scrambling to defend itself?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:37 PM »
So... Rashid previously messed up a defense of Demonreach in the past by trying to take down something that was too tough for him while Demonreach was left scrambling to defend itself?

Thats how I interpret it. Rashid focused on the wrong enemy (tank) allowing a more dangerous enemy to attack and wound Demonreach.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
I'm still convinced that Kemmler was the last WARDEN, and it was Rashid's job to prevent DR from defending Kemmler.

As to the wounding of DR, his limp is from a Glacier, per Jim. 

2009 Independence signing:
Can you tell us more about the runes on the cottage and the lighthouse?
 They were not put there by Demonreach; they have been there a very long time.  They are pre-Council.  They’re a prehistoric script, actually.  Harry could have figured out the script if he’d had the comic book. NOTE: I think this has something to do with runes on a wall in Under City seen in Welcome to the Jungle
 Also, people have a few things wrong about the Gatekeeper and the island.  The Gatekeeper did not hurt Demonreach.  Gatekeeper has been on the island a couple of times, and it’s never gone well, but he didn’t cause Demonreach’s limp.  That’s the work of the glacier that carved out Lake Michigan.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
I'm still convinced that Kemmler was the last WARDEN, and it was Rashid's job to prevent DR from defending Kemmler.

As to the wounding of DR, his limp is from a Glacier, per Jim.

Thanks for posting that WOJ. I have not come across that one before. Seems to suggest that maybe Demonreach was a bigger area than the island pre-lake and in the carving out of the lake (forming of the island) Demonreach was limited/injured.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
For those of us that do not play League of Legends, can somebody explain what the term "Focus the Tank" actually means in context?

In a battle you usually have a group of players:

Tank (built to absorb damage.  Doesn't do a lot of damage but is very difficult to kill)
Healer (Heals the players on their team)
Damage dealer (kills the enemy team)

In a player vs player match, you never go after the Tank first.  If you do all that ends up happening is you spend a lot of time and energy fighting the Tank, unable to kill them because they are built to take damage, and the healer keeps them alive.  In the process the damage dealers on the other team usually kill your healer first, then the damage players, and then finish the Tank last.  When players focus the Tank first they almost always lose

So my guess is Rashid went after the exact wrong person he should have, a decoy meant to be targeted.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:40:35 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
In a battle you usually have a group of players:

Tank (built to absorb damage.  Doesn't do a lot of damage but is very difficult to kill)
Healer (Heals the players on their team)
Damage dealer (kills the enemy team)

In a player vs player match, you never go after the Tank first.  If you do all that ends up happening is you spend a lot of time and energy fighting the Tank, unable to kill them because they are built to take damage, and the healer keeps them alive.  In the process the damage dealers on the other team usually kill your healer first, then the damage players, and then finish the Tank last.  When players focus the Tank first they almost always lose

So my guess is Rashid went after the exact wrong person he should have, a decoy meant to be targeted.
Hmm, then I think it would make sense if in context it means that previously Rashid was part of an assault on Demonreach itself, and he made the mistake of attacking just the manifestation (is Alfred) which did no good since it's actually the island and The Well and all that.  Alfred doesnt really seem the sort to expect enough from anybody (other than the Warden) to be disappointed in what they /didn't/ do, but I could see him very much holding a grudge against anyone who directly attacked him. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
My problem with the theory that DR was the tank Rashid focused is that if that was the case, DR wouldn't have an issue with "focusing the tank" so much as "being there."  Focusing the tank if DR is the tank is only good for DR, that's what it's there to do.  You only get pissed at someone for focusing the tank when you're on the same side and they're screwing it up.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:08:52 PM »
My problem with the theory that DR was the tank Rashid focused is that if that was the case, DR wouldn't have an issue with "focusing the tank" so much as "being there."  Focusing the tank if DR is the tank is only good for DR, that's what it's there to do.  You only get pissed at someone for focusing the tank when you're on the same side and they're screwing it up.
I disagree: You get pissed at whomever is punching you in the Face.  I suspect that Rashid was the one chosen to do the actual Offensive actions, as the distraction, while the rest were doing whatever else they might do that required breaking INTO a prison.   

Granted, Im trying to give Rashid the benefit of the doubt that "focusing the tank" was actually the plan for some reason, rather than an example of him screwing up the real plan. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:19 PM »
i always interpreted that a little differently.  I saw it as Rashid used dr as a tank letting some damage dealer pound on the island while he did what he had to do.  I see DR as smart enough to understand Rashid set him up to take a beating but not understand you picked the wrong enemy in the fight and we lost
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 10:33:17 PM »
Demonreach and Rashid were on the same side.  Rashid screwed up the plan because he was a newb and tried to take down a tank before taking down more fragile opponents.

Demonreach holds a grudge with Rashid because he was ineffective and likely something of value for demonreach was lost.

Groinkick and peregrine have it right.  Raid leaders do get mad if you don't attack priority targets.  Demonreach is mad.  I feel Rashid has been on a number of those raids with demonreach and it usually doesn't end well, but I don't think anyone else would do better.  Rashid is the best least bad option.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:38:04 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:20 PM »
I think you need to look at what matters to Demonreach. Namely, the Island and the Well. Everything else is unimportant to it besides it's purpose. So most likely either:

A) Rashid fucked up while defending the Island, attacked the wrong enemy, and something broke out because of it.

B) Rashid chose to focus on another threat, something unrelated to Demonreach, over his duties to the Island- say by leaving his position as Warden of the Well in order to become Gatekeeper.

I like B personally.