Author Topic: Did Harry focus the Tank?  (Read 10578 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Did Harry focus the Tank?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 11:15:18 PM »
A seems most likely to me.  Occam's Razor and all that.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »
Yeah but A implies that Rashid is somehow better able to deal with a threat then Alfred "Can Throw Mab in the Naughty Corner" Demonreach, which... seems unlikely

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:22 AM »
Yeah but A implies that Rashid is somehow better able to deal with a threat then Alfred "Can Throw Mab in the Naughty Corner" Demonreach, which... seems unlikely

Rashid may have (as the previous Warden) ordered the Island to focus it's attack on something else, probably against it's warnings.  If something like this did happen it makes me think that it was personal for Rashid...  He was emotionally involved.  Perhaps he witnessed the "Tank" kill someone he knew during the conflict, and he directed his attack towards it.

Harry deduced that Alfred was vulnerable to Sidhe attack.  Perhaps the attack in question was from the Fomor (they are related to the Sidhe).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:54:52 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
I still say Rashid distracted DR while someone slipped across and took MW's walking stick.
Although there are a few others. Woj was we'd see more of 'focusing the tank' in CD's and that was someone holding/bogging down the heavy(better word than tank here I think) while someone else worked on the island.

*i'm confused by the OP's premise that Harry focused any tank?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
Maybe Rashid distracted Demonreach so that someone could be imprisoned in the Well below.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
I still say Rashid distracted DR while someone slipped across and took MW's walking stick.
Although there are a few others. Woj was we'd see more of 'focusing the tank' in CD's and that was someone holding/bogging down the heavy(better word than tank here I think) while someone else worked on the island.

*i'm confused by the OP's premise that Harry focused any tank?

It is the only WOJ we have regarding why Demonreach has a grudge against Rashid.  Jim later clarified that he meant it in it's League of Legends context (as opposed to slightly different usages in WoW or DnD, Im guessing).

Sarks:
In Storm Front, the 3Eye user in the police station noticed a stain on Harry's soul. Was this from his encounter with HWWB before his fight with his mentor, or is it due to his power over Outsiders?
Sarks: What did the Gatekeeper do to Demonreach to make it hold a grudge?
Jim: 2) He focused the tank. Oh, wait, no, it's a little more complicated than just a positive-negative situation, and while I don't go into the specifics, yet, you get all the pieces you need in Cold Days.
(Note: I included the 3eye question because they asked two in a row and I cant be 100% certain Jim wasnt answering both in the same statement. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:38 PM »
I think the problem for Jim was answering the 'do to Demonreach' part of the question.  In a raid, you don't have to do anything to the raid leader for the raid leader to hold a grudge against you.  What likely happened is that Rashid focused on something that was a diversion against something else passing through like say nemesis.  Harry had a similar predicament in Cold Days, he had 3 attacks he had to win.  He needed to defeat the rituals on the shores of the mainland, needed to defeat the Outsiders attack with an amphibious landing w/ Sharkface leading the charge, then he needed to defeat Maeve/Lily attack on Demonreach. 

In this setup, Rashid acted like Maeve/Lily attacking Demonreach, while other important matters were taking place particularly the amphibious landing of the barge with the ritual atop it.  The raid leader (likely our Tank or Healer) is upset with Rashid with messing up his role at least from the point of view of the raid leader who may or may not be right.

In my experience, Raid Leaders are usually either Tanks or Healers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:50:46 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
It is the only WOJ we have regarding why Demonreach has a grudge against Rashid.  Jim later clarified that he meant it in it's League of Legends context (as opposed to slightly different usages in WoW or DnD, Im guessing).

(Note: I included the 3eye question because they asked two in a row and I cant be 100% certain Jim wasnt answering both in the same statement.
Oh, I meant not the only theory, there are a few others.
i'm not sure if there's a quantifiable difference in tanking across games besides subsidiary roles from how the classes are set up. What I got from the Woj was he stopped the tank from bogging down, by buff, debuff or ole' fashion stonewalling another while they acted against DR or his erstwhile allies. The positive and negative comment an implication that the situation was not as simple as DR acting in unison with a bad guy, but rather as a result of his own functioning, his limitations.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
If Jim said that Cold Days was a clue about Rashid then it may be in fact that he locked down Alfred while others attacked a more vulnerable area.  Sometimes the roll of the Tank is to protect the rest of a group (A Raid, where the group faces a Boss type character), or in this case, the Island from attack.  One way to defeat the group is to lock down the Tank (through a mechanic known as crowd control), preventing them from providing protection.

For instance in a Raid the Tank focuses on grabbing aggro (aggression from the Boss), while the others launch an attack.  It is an absolute must to keep the Tank alive, if the Tank dies the weaker classes get slaughtered by the Boss.  Some ways this happens is the Tank gets crowd controlled (loss of control of character), and the Boss slaughters the group.  If Rashid locked down or "focused" Alfred (contained him in a powerful Ward for example), that means the Island was vulnerable to attack from others.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:21:47 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
If Jim said that Cold Days was a clue about Rashid then it may be in fact that he locked down Alfred while others attacked a more vulnerable area.  Sometimes the roll of the Tank is to protect the rest of a group, or in this case, the Island from attack.  One way to defeat the group is to lock down the Tank (through a mechanic known as crowd control), preventing them from providing protection.

For instance in a Raid the Tank focuses on grabbing aggro (aggression from the Boss), while the others launch an attack.  It is an absolute must to keep the Tank alive, if the Tank dies the weaker classes get slaughtered by the Boss.  Some ways this happens is the Tank gets crowd controlled (loss of control of character), and the Boss slaughters the group.  If Rashid locked down or "focused" Alfred (contained him in a powerful Ward for example), that means the Island was vulnerable to attack from others.
It might not be an attack. It could be that Rashid contained/controlled Alfred so that a prisoner could be deposited or freed. Either way it is a breach of protocol and a circumvention of the natural order on DR which Alfred would not take kindly too even if no harm was done.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
The word fumble means to use one's hands clumsily. However, if JB said Rashid fumbled in the football context, it would not be reasonable to argue Rashid was a linebacker that failed to prevent a touchdown because he clumsily used his hands during an attempted tackle. It would be clear that Rashid had possession of the ball and dropped it before he was down.

For the same reason as above, if Rashid focused the tank in the LoL context the only reasonable interpretation is that Rashid and DR were on the same team and Rashid attacked the wrong target.

The WOJ said we got the pieces we need in Cold Days. In CD the barges were the tank (the big obvious target that wants to be the target) and Maeve/Lily were the carries (the main offensive threat). Thus, we can conclude Rashid was a defender in a similar attack  and focused on the barges.

This also fits with JB's clarification that it is a little more complicated than a positive-negative situation. That's because the barges weren't just a tank, they were also a legitimate offensive threat in their own right, just a lesser one than Maeve. Thus, one can't definitively say that Rashid made a mistake by focusing the barges, whereas focusing the tank in a team fight is always a clear cut negative.

With regard to the OP, it's possible Cowl was doing something else while Harry went after the red king, but calling the red Kinga tank would imply teamwork and I think it more likely that the reds were being used by, rather than working with Cowl.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »
The word fumble means to use one's hands clumsily. However, if JB said Rashid fumbled in the football context, it would not be reasonable to argue Rashid was a linebacker that failed to prevent a touchdown because he clumsily used his hands during an attempted tackle. It would be clear that Rashid had possession of the ball and dropped it before he was down.

For the same reason as above, if Rashid focused the tank in the LoL context the only reasonable interpretation is that Rashid and DR were on the same team and Rashid attacked the wrong target.

The WOJ said we got the pieces we need in Cold Days. In CD the barges were the tank (the big obvious target that wants to be the target) and Maeve/Lily were the carries (the main offensive threat). Thus, we can conclude Rashid was a defender in a similar attack  and focused on the barges.

This also fits with JB's clarification that it is a little more complicated than a positive-negative situation. That's because the barges weren't just a tank, they were also a legitimate offensive threat in their own right, just a lesser one than Maeve. Thus, one can't definitively say that Rashid made a mistake by focusing the barges, whereas focusing the tank in a team fight is always a clear cut negative.

With regard to the OP, it's possible Cowl was doing something else while Harry went after the red king, but calling the red Kinga tank would imply teamwork and I think it more likely that the reds were being used by, rather than working with Cowl.

Actually I think it would mean that He Who Walks Before was the Tank, and if Harry wasted too much time on him, he would have "focused" the Tank.  Luckily Harry had Soulfire, and sent Before packing.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
If Jim said that Cold Days was a clue about Rashid then it may be in fact that he locked down Alfred while others attacked a more vulnerable area.  Sometimes the roll of the Tank is to protect the rest of a group (A Raid, where the group faces a Boss type character), or in this case, the Island from attack.  One way to defeat the group is to lock down the Tank (through a mechanic known as crowd control), preventing them from providing protection.

This is where the League of Legends reference is important. Carries (dps in raid terms) have moves that allow them to escape. Thus, you generally need your "cc" to prevent the carry from getting away while bursting the carry down. You might also use cc to protect your own carry from an assassin (highly mobile burst dps designed to quickly kill a carry). You generally don't want to use cc on the tank.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
Actually I think it would mean that He Who Walks Before was the Tank, and if Harry wasted too much time on him, he would have "focused" the Tank.  Luckily Harry had Soulfire, and sent Before packing.

That is a good observation. Sharkface could be the tank, the barges the ADC (attack damage carry) and Maeve would be a split pusher.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 02:37:44 AM »
Yep, Harry magic had extra sting against sharkface that Rashid lacked.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html