Author Topic: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?  (Read 13368 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Jim said the Blackstaff chooses the wizard.  Now I actually interpreted it meaning the Blackstaff itself chose the wizard but I think someone showed that Jim meant the Blackstaff wizard chose the next Blackstaff.  Well the position is very very dangerous.  Eb has got to know that there is a good chance someone will take him down before he can hand it down to someone else.  So my guess is he has in advance chosen who will take is place at the time of his death.  Who would you see him picking?

I could see him picking Harry, believing Harry is the right guy for the job, but I'm also thinking Luccio might be his pick (perhaps so Harry wouldn't have to live with the nightmares of what he would have to do).
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
Jim said the Blackstaff chooses the wizard.  Now I actually interpreted it meaning the Blackstaff itself chose the wizard but I think someone showed that Jim meant the Blackstaff wizard chose the next Blackstaff.  Well the position is very very dangerous.  Eb has got to know that there is a good chance someone will take him down before he can hand it down to someone else.  So my guess is he has in advance chosen who will take is place at the time of his death.  Who would you see him picking?

I could see him picking Harry, believing Harry is the right guy for the job, but I'm also thinking Luccio might be his pick (perhaps so Harry wouldn't have to live with the nightmares of what he would have to do).

That is exactly the kind of word lawyering I would expect from a sneaky little author like Jim.

For me, candidates would include Harry, Ramirez, Luccio, Chandler, and Listens-to-Wind.

1. Harry is the most likely choice. Eb clearly has faith in him, and believes he can handle the burden of being The Warden. But I think circumstances have changed too much; with his Wardening and Knighting he has to do full time, adding the office of Blackstaff might be too much for Harry to handle, and I'd expect Eb to think similarly.
2. Luccio is doable, but I think she'd be too rigidly in support of the laws. Not to Morgan levels of insanity, but not flexible enough. Plus, after the body switch, she's lost her full potential, and has proven susceptible to mind alteration.
3. Listens-to-Wind is more likely, I think, specifically because Eb respects his ability to rein in his anger and outrage, and act dispassionately, according to his conversation in Turn Coat. Seems like a good candidate for someone with power over life and death. Plus, imagine what access to black magic could do for a Healer.
4. Ramirez is a bit of a stretch. He's proven brave and loyal, and can think outside the box. But Ebenezer doesn't know him well enough yet for him to be seriously considered, I think.
5. Chandler is my longshot. Capable, dependable, and loyal in enough quantities that he's trusted by everyone on the Council, even the top brass. Harry notes he's been seen in positions that would require great trust too often for it to be a fluke.

Really, it depends on what you think the role of the Blackstaff is. I see it as a check against the Council's arrogance and politicking, when action is being deliberately halted or slowed by bureaucracy and the rules and Laws are twisted against their purpose of protection. Eb would want it passed to someone who is as far away from that nonsense as possible.

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »
Considering the amount of distrust the Council has for Harry, naming him Blackstaff (the wizard who can ignore the laws when he sees the need) would ignite a breakdown leading to the likely dissolution of the Council.
Luccio, Ramirez or Chandler would be more politic choices. I agree that Lucio would be the most likely choice.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »

I don't think Jim meant the holderof the Blackstaff selects his or her successor..  It would make more sense I think if the staff itself chose it's wielder not unlike the Holy Swords.   So while Eb might make some suggestions and the holder has to pass muster with those in the know on the Senior Council, I think the Staff itself has the last word.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:20:52 PM »
Considering the amount of distrust the Council has for Harry, naming him Blackstaff (the wizard who can ignore the laws when he sees the need) would ignite a breakdown leading to the likely dissolution of the Council.
Luccio, Ramirez or Chandler would be more politic choices. I agree that Lucio would be the most likely choice.

It's not going to become a public wedge unless Langtry and company are willing to tell all the rank and file about the Blackstaff.

Most likely if Eb left it to Harry, it would just be the last straw for Langtry to have him assassinated.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 11:31:26 PM »
Arthur can't touch Harry; Mab might get annoyed for a whole minute.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »
It is widely believed the Blackstaff is mother winter walking stick, so an artifact of faerie. I wonder if it could be bound to a deal, so used and act in a certain way.
k moinuddin

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
It is widely believed the Blackstaff is mother winter walking stick, so an artifact of faerie.

Jim has even de facto confirmed this. Someone asked in a Q&A about the origin of the blackstaff and he said the right answer was commonly known in fan forums.

If Eb is aware of where it's from, that's a hell of a good reason not to give it to Harry. I can't see him putting Harry in a position where if ordered to hand it over, he'd have to choose between depriving the council of it forever or getting Mother Winter's version of punishment for disobedience.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 03:00:59 AM »
How about the Blackstaff chooses Maggie Jr.?  That sounds like the absolute worst case scenario for Harry, so...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 03:04:06 AM »
How about the Blackstaff chooses Maggie Jr.?  That sounds like the absolute worst case scenario for Harry, so...

lol I don't picture her having the ability to fulfill the position for quite some time, time Eb cannot possibly predict that he has with the danger of his job.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 03:53:42 AM »
lol I don't picture her having the ability to fulfill the position for quite some time, time Eb cannot possibly predict that he has with the danger of his job.
Who said anything about Eb?   :D

If it weren't for the pending Maggie series, I think it'd be a great thing to do to her character.  Give a kid that's a fourth generation rebel a weapon that will tempt her with the ability to do whatever she wants without the blowback.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
Sounds like a scenario where Harry has to take down his daughter who has gone all Evil-Lyn.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
Sounds like a scenario where Harry has to take down his daughter who has gone all Evil-Lyn.

Who would be her Skeletor?  If Skeletor was He-man's uncle, maybe Harry Carpenter goes dark?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
Who would be her Skeletor?  If Skeletor was He-man's uncle, maybe Harry Carpenter goes dark?

That would rather undermine the image of the Carpenter family, if all its members end up evil, crazy, or at least on the shortlist for such positions. At least Molly had her magic to override the 'good family' image.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »
Who said anything about Eb?   :D

If it weren't for the pending Maggie series, I think it'd be a great thing to do to her character.  Give a kid that's a fourth generation rebel a weapon that will tempt her with the ability to do whatever she wants without the blowback.

I might be mistaken but I thought that you were the one who told me that it was the Blackstaff wizard who chose the successor, not the Blackstaff itself.  Again I might be mistaken.  So that's why I mentioned Eb picking the successor.