Author Topic: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
I might be mistaken but I thought that you were the one who told me that it was the Blackstaff wizard who chose the successor, not the Blackstaff itself.  Again I might be mistaken.  So that's why I mentioned Eb picking the successor.
I don't think I said that, but I wouldn't put it past me.  Still, I think it's likely that the bearer chooses, but I think it's plausible that the staff can reject, and possibly even prefer, a candidate.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
I don't think I said that, but I wouldn't put it past me.  Still, I think it's likely that the bearer chooses, but I think it's plausible that the staff can reject, and possibly even prefer, a candidate.

As the Winter Knight would Harry be obliged to return it to Mother Winter do you think if it came into his possession? 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
As the Winter Knight would Harry be obliged to return it to Mother Winter do you think if it came into his possession?

Only if she asked for it. Mother winter could have, not gifted the staff but allowed it to be taken for a purpose. She permitted Harry to leave with the unraveling not as a gift but a necessity to make the courts balanced once again.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 01:16:23 AM »
I bet the Blackstaff used by a wizard winter knight would have epic concequences. The knight mantle is a portion of the Queen, while the staff is an artifact of the Queen. Since the Blackstaff can break the seven laws, and the star born has power over outsiders and the winter court mans the outer gates. It seems to me Harry was destined to be the bearer of the staff and use it against the outsiders.
k moinuddin

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »
If it weren't for the pending Maggie series, I think it'd be a great thing to do to her character.  Give a kid that's a fourth generation rebel a weapon that will tempt her with the ability to do whatever she wants without the blowback.
Forgive me, but that sounds like a terrible idea.  Children shouldn't be given immense power with no consequences.  Children are little psycopaths; proper parenting is what makes them functioning members of society.  Have you not watched the Twilight Zone?

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
Forgive me, but that sounds like a terrible idea.  Children shouldn't be given immense power with no consequences.  Children are little psycopaths; proper parenting is what makes them functioning members of society.  Have you not watched the Twilight Zone?

What do you mean?  It was a Good episode.  A Good Life.  He did nothing wrong.  Really he didn't.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:51 AM »
Harry's life is nothing but a long episode of the Twilight Zone.  Why wouldn't JB do the absolute worst thing to him?

Hell, Harry will be lucky if he can make it to end of the series without Maggie becoming a Lasciel-bearing, Pepsi-swilling vegan Summer Knight in possession of both the Blackstaff and Evil Bob who considers herself a Trekkie and is dating Kincaid's secret son. :D

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
What do you mean?  It was a Good episode.  A Good Life.  He did nothing wrong.  Really he didn't.
Love it when someone gets the obscure reference! :D

Quote from: Griffyn612
Hell, Harry will be lucky if he can make it to end of the series without Maggie becoming a Lasciel-bearing, Pepsi-swilling vegan Summer Knight in possession of both the Blackstaff and Evil Bob who considers herself a Trekkie and is dating Kincaid's secret son. :D
Well, it's kind of a family tradition to completely rebel against one's parents, so good luck, Harry.  She'll be wanting Happy Meals before you know it.

On a slightly more on-topic note...  is there any WOJ, anywhere at all, in which Jim confirms that the Blackstaff is what Eb says that it is:  a secret role assigned by the White Court with carte blanche to break any of the laws?  I mean, no one talks about the Blackstaff other than Eb and Kincaid.  Kincaid, for about ten seconds, before Harry shuts him up.  And yes, Ebenezer's assembled band of gray-cloaked wizards whose identities are kept hidden from Harry do see it Eb using the Blackstaff...  but the Gray Council's knowledge does not necessarily prove the White Council's approval.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 01:48:54 AM »
Harry's life is nothing but a long episode of the Twilight Zone.  Why wouldn't JB do the absolute worst thing to him?

and she's BFF's with Langtry
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
maggie jr as black staff is kinda playing russian roulette with korean nuke perfect as book material

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »

Wow. How devilish of you to entertain such thoughts. Worse yet, it might give Butcher some ideas.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »
While I don't know about the Blackstaff, I'd bet that Eb has already chosen Harry to be his successor.  I'd be willing to bet that Harry gets the farm and everything.

Eb did mention Harry taking over custodianship of the journals he currently has that go all the way back to Merlin.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
I am wondering after the big trilogy, will there still be a Blackstaff or will mom winter take back her walking stick?
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
I am wondering after the big trilogy, will there still be a Blackstaff or will mom winter take back her walking stick?

I think it depends on the results of the BAT.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
I might be mistaken but I thought that you were the one who told me that it was the Blackstaff wizard who chose the successor, not the Blackstaff itself.  Again I might be mistaken.  So that's why I mentioned Eb picking the successor.
I believe that there was a panel that Jim participated in talking about magic systems, where Jim said that he didn't particularly favor systems where the magic does the thinking... I think this would preclude an object like the staff itself choosing its user.

but I can't remember which con this was at...  can anyone else corroborate this?