Author Topic: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?  (Read 13367 times)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Has Eb already chosen his successor? If he has, who?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
An item that can freely break the seven laws has to be highly desired, while we argue about if Harry will get it, we should be wondering if the bad guy need it for their plans as well?
k moinuddin

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »
The item does not allow you to break the seven laws freely.  The Position of Blackstaff allows you to break the 7 laws (within some organizational limits) without the White Council Wardens hunting you down. 

The item known as the Blackstaff protects you from the taint of a variety of black magic use cases.  Maybe not all black magic, but certainly some very useful types of black magic like death magic. 

In any case, there is certainly a succession plan for the staff and there is certainly a succession plan for the office.  I wonder what would happen if the two diverged.   Could Harry (for example) get the Blackstaff item while some other "more trusted" wizard get appointed the blackstaff by the senior council.   I suspect it would be unprecedented, but it would be interesting if it happens.   Certainly in this instance, harry would be intensely pressured to give up the staff to the new office holder. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
I wonder what would happen if the two diverged.   Could Harry (for example) get the Blackstaff item while some other "more trusted" wizard get appointed the blackstaff by the senior council.   I suspect it would be unprecedented, but it would be interesting if it happens.   Certainly in this instance, harry would be intensely pressured to give up the staff to the new office holder.
The latter wouldn't exist without the former.  The Council wouldn't let someone become tainted on a regular basis.  There's no point in naming someone else.  They'd either fight him for it, accept him, or discontinue the position.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »
On a slightly more on-topic note...  is there any WOJ, anywhere at all, in which Jim confirms that the Blackstaff is what Eb says that it is:  a secret role assigned by the White Court with carte blanche to break any of the laws?  I mean, no one talks about the Blackstaff other than Eb and Kincaid.  Kincaid, for about ten seconds, before Harry shuts him up.  And yes, Ebenezer's assembled band of gray-cloaked wizards whose identities are kept hidden from Harry do see it Eb using the Blackstaff...  but the Gray Council's knowledge does not necessarily prove the White Council's approval.

He's answered questions about the office of the Blackstaff without any indication that Eb was exaggerating his unilateral authority, albeit never explicitly addressed that as a possibility. And there was also the Eebs reference to how the "wizard of the black stick" slew Ortega to corroborate.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
The latter wouldn't exist without the former.  The Council wouldn't let someone become tainted on a regular basis.  There's no point in naming someone else.  They'd either fight him for it, accept him, or discontinue the position.

This is not true.  Not every action that breaks the laws of magic is black magic (example - time travel) and not every use of tainted magic breaks a magical law. 

As described in the books, the purpose of the Blackstaff job is to protect the council against foes who would use the White Council's own laws against the White Council. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »
This is not true.  Not every action that breaks the laws of magic is black magic (example - time travel) and not every use of tainted magic breaks a magical law. 

As described in the books, the purpose of the Blackstaff job is to protect the council against foes who would use the White Council's own laws against the White Council.
Can you name one example of law breaking that didn't taint the caster?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »

Would ... when Molly entered Young Luccio's mind and found out that there was something different count?  Was Molly Tainted?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
Would ... when Molly entered Young Luccio's mind and found out that there was something different count?  Was Molly Tainted?
Wasn't she tainted by the same in PG?  I thought Harry observed something back then.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 04:59:46 PM »
I wonder if the Blackstaff, a tool of Mother Winter is capable of destroying someone like Mab
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
I wonder if the Blackstaff, a tool of Mother Winter is capable of destroying someone like Mab

Why would it be?  Seems like a Mother could do pretty much anything to anyone below them.  No need for a tool like the Blackstaff.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »

Time travel.  No evidence at all that this creates a taint.   Although to be fair, the question has not been specifically addressed.     

And I would argue the calling an outsider "per se" is not black magic either, although dealing with outsiders is intensely dangerous and likely to lead to corruption through that interaction.  But if you just called one up and kept it in the circle for an hour without interacting with it -  and then sent it back -- it is hard to argue that this is black magic or particularly corrupting.  It is CERTAINLY against the laws of magic.   

Of course, if you want to get really philosophical, then all uses of magic influence the caster in some way.  If those influences are in the not nice direction, you can call that influence (accurately) a taint.  Using anger to fuel your magic taints the caster.  I suspect using love to fuel your magic also has an impact on the caster.   Using magic to harm someone probably causes a taint, although much less of one than killing with magic.   

Black magic is a general term for really bad magic that is both very negative in an of itself and has a very strong propensity to strongly taint the caster.   But it is certainly possible for a wizard to do a lot of magic that is "legal", but whose cumulative effective over decades is corrupting.  Harry himself mentioned that his use of fear/anger/rage in battle has probably altered his magical nature over the years. 

....and to give the other side example I forgot in my prior post.   Drawing power from a very dark ley line can certainly badly taint a caster in the same was as dark magic, but that action is not prohibited by the laws of magic.  It is still stupid, just not against the laws of magic.   

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

Tons of weapons can kill Mab.  Permanently killing Mab requires some special conditions like Halloween, not a special weapon.   

Or perhaps you meant that the blackstaff "is" one of those special conditions and thus can kill imortals without requiring Halloween or other special conditions.   Interesting speculation, but no evidence to support.   I suspect not -- because if it was that easy to kill and immortal, why bother with Demonreach.   

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
MJaybe there should be a law of magical exchange where the process of influencing magic through a spell results in a person being influenced by  the spell they cast.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
I don't think entering a mind to observe is black, they did that to everyone after TC to find out how much damage Peabody had done and Harry did that to Molly at the end of GS.  It's when you force a change in someone's mind and against their will that would cause the damage and taint.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
I don't think entering a mind to observe is black, they did that to everyone after TC to find out how much damage Peabody had done and Harry did that to Molly at the end of GS.  It's when you force a change in someone's mind and against their will that would cause the damage and taint.

I'm not arguing with you, but the law is ... Thou Shalt Not Invade the Mind of Another.

Molly invaded her mind without permission.

After TC, they were given permission.

I agree, if you don't make changes, there should be no taint.  But on the surface, just going in without permission is a breaking of the law.