Author Topic: Request help for finding recent topics here!  (Read 123662 times)

Offline Loup_Garou

• Conversationalist
  • Intimidatus Dorkus Maximus!
    • View Profile
Re: Request help for finding recent topics here!
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
I wanna know if anyone knows or has hypothesized about Jim's two-sentence summaries of every book. I think the hivemind could make awesome and/or hilarious summaries of the books we know, but if there is a record of the official versions, that'd be pretty cool to see, too. Does a thread or record of this already exist?
OMG, that would be awesome!  To my knowledge (and I'm new here) no - no summaries like that.

However, forum member wardenferry419 did a really cool list of comparisons &/or suggestions (future books) here, under the thread title of "Possible Patterns".  That thread is now locked, however.   :-[
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:29:53 AM by Loup_Garou »

Offline Gambit1988

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
Is there a recent thread on foreshadowing?Confirmed and suspected?

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »
OMG, that would be awesome!  To my knowledge (and I'm new here) no - no summaries like that.

However, forum member wardenferry419 did a really cool list of comparisons &/or suggestions (future books) here, under the thread title of "Possible Patterns".  That thread is now locked, however.   :-[

Super cool post; glad you pointed that one out! We could do some fixing now that SG's out. But it's pretty cool how close those summaries were! Wrong character becoming the new KotC, wrong context for Lash and/or Lasciel, but pretty darn close. The subjects were right on the money! How much had Jim already revealed at that point?

Can we either resurrect that thread or I start a new one on similar lines?!

Is there a recent thread on foreshadowing?Confirmed and suspected?

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,41848.0.html is the most recent one I've seen. :)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
I'm quite surprised that I can't find a thread dedicated to Harry and Lash's child.  Am I just being oblivious?
While I'm at it, what is the best thread discussing the origins of Demonreach Penitentiary?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:23:00 PM by mid_life_crisis »
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
I'm quite surprised that I can't find a thread dedicated to Harry and Lash's child.  Am I just being oblivious?
While I'm at it, what is the best thread discussing the origins of Demonreach Penitentiary?

Hmmm, most of the child topics would be over a month old... Here's one of the best that I know of.

As to Demonreach...  I think there is a reference topic discussing parallels with the Hebrew concept of "the deep," And I have an old pre-CD theory that it is where the benevolent powerful beings of Navajo belief went (and where the Skinwalker should have gone but chose not to, thus becoming malevolent)

aaaand, I woulda posted this 2 hours ago except it's taken me that long to finish writing that little bit because I'm really buisy, so I am sorry I didn't ferret out more links.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Hmmm, most of the child topics would be over a month old... Here's one of the best that I know of.

As to Demonreach...  I think there is a reference topic discussing parallels with the Hebrew concept of "the deep," And I have an old pre-CD theory that it is where the benevolent powerful beings of Navajo belief went (and where the Skinwalker should have gone but chose not to, thus becoming malevolent)

aaaand, I woulda posted this 2 hours ago except it's taken me that long to finish writing that little bit because I'm really buisy, so I am sorry I didn't ferret out more links.
No apology necessary.  Thanks for the info.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline Sue

• Conversationalist
  • Words, once printed, have a life of their own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 01:51:26 AM »
I know this is soon, and the Steam punk Book is presumably next on the horizen, but I have to ask ... what is the most current info on the next Dresden book?

I just pop in now and then to catch up, and I didn't find anything on it in my look around ...

Thank you!  :-*
ALL the Gods should be honored, you never know which one is listening …

│▒│ /▒/
│▒│/▒/
│▒ /▒/─┬─┐
│▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐┘┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒│
☮*☮*☮*☮*☮

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
I know this is soon, and the Steam punk Book is presumably next on the horizen, but I have to ask ... what is the most current info on the next Dresden book?

I just pop in now and then to catch up, and I didn't find anything on it in my look around ...

Thank you!  :-*
It's called Peace Talks so searching for that might be helpful: I'll leave it to forum gurus like Serack to pluck the WOJ links out of thin air "just like magic" ;)

I did attempt to add this to the Wiki but the resident dog-in-the-manger didn't like me being "speculative" (based only on a post on Jim's website and Jim himself saying so on Reddit—quote of the day "what is this Reddit thing?") and nixed it. :'( Maybe things have cooled down sufficiently we can try again?
Phil

Offline Sue

• Conversationalist
  • Words, once printed, have a life of their own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
I searched "Peace Talks" and this question and answer are all that showed ... addendum ...

I just found a comment by Priscellie saying no news yet ...
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/peace-talks-16
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:40:19 AM by Sue »
ALL the Gods should be honored, you never know which one is listening …

│▒│ /▒/
│▒│/▒/
│▒ /▒/─┬─┐
│▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐┘┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒│
☮*☮*☮*☮*☮

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the list of supernatural entities and their eye colors survived the purge monster?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 03:33:02 AM »
I have noticed that a number of readers don't like the way the Winter Knight's mantel hammers the rape/kill message to Harry.  It is more than a little disgusting no matter how Jim tones down the description of what the mantel is doing.  Even though Harry found a new and creative way to channel the mantel's impulses in Skin Game for his own purposes without letting it control him, the Winter Knight's mantel is a nasty piece of business.

Contrast this to how Lashiel's shadow affected Harry.  In Death Masks Harry just heard a voice and some laughter before he sealed the coin up in concrete and some spells.  In Blood Rites there was a monologue where Harry says he thinks he used to be a better person in the past.  I think that was a subtle clue that Lashiel's shadow was talking to Harry's alter id.  Harry involuntarily calls up hellfire but little else happens.  In Dead Beat Harry make the choice to call up hellfire and he meets Lashiel's shadow.  In Proven Guilty we see Harry becoming angrier.  In White Night he almost loses control of his new found anger before he figures out how to handle Lashiel's shadow.

The way Lashiel's shadow worked was subtle, everything occurred behind the scenes.  The Winter Knight's mantel is overt and many readers find it disturbing.  I'm not sure how Jim can make this situation any better, other than finding a way for Harry to ditch being the Winter Knight.

I think this is another reason why the last two books haven't been as popular with many readers as the earlier ones were.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:03 AM »
eh, are you sure you want to post it here?
In another topic I commented how I feel people is overreacting to the mantle thing. I have no problem with it and find that his reaction to this makes Harry more human and believable.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 07:12:34 AM »
eh, are you sure you want to post it here?
In another topic I commented how I feel people is overreacting to the mantle thing. I have no problem with it and find that his reaction to this makes Harry more human and believable.

I think some readers are upset by the idea of everything in the supernatural world having some kind of mantel.  Like, if Mab and the other Queens of Faerie have mantels, perhaps the Leansidhe has a mantel, perhaps Eldest Gruff has a mantel, Odin has a mantel, the Gatekeeper has a mantel.  The idea of everyone and everything having a mantel can be more than a little annoying.

However, I'm talking about something which Harry is actually dealing with; and it is something that many readers find disconcerting, at best.

However, rethinking about how Jim might handle the situation, instead of Harry finding a way to ditch the Winter Knight job, Harry will receive training from LTW which allows him to either ignore or transcend the urging of the Knight's mantel.  I think that might make Mab realize she will never bend Harry to her will and also decide she no longer wants Harry to be her Knight.  What would happen after that I couldn't guess, but it's one way for the situation to be resolved.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »
However, rethinking about how Jim might handle the situation, instead of Harry finding a way to ditch the Winter Knight job, Harry will receive training from LTW which allows him to either ignore or transcend the urging of the Knight's mantel.  I think that might make Mab realize she will never bend Harry to her will

Agree.

and also decide she no longer wants Harry to be her Knight.  What would happen after that I couldn't guess, but it's one way for the situation to be resolved.

Disagree. As I've said before elsewhere, I think Mab wants an Ender - an intelligent commander who can destroy the enemy, who thinks for himself, but at the end of the day reports to her. Also, as much fun as she has with Harry, I think her best idea for how to de-Knight him would be to kill him and she'd have no qualms if that was what she thought was necessary. Seeing as how Harry's narrating the series, unless he's doing so as a ghost from the other side, I don't see it happening that way. I see him maneuvering or negotiating his way out at some point. He's getting smarter and wilier book by book.
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC