Author Topic: Alignment?  (Read 17229 times)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Alignment?
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
So, I was wondering how everyone would assign alignment to Dresden characters....not referring to RPG rules. Just your opinion.
How would you do it?
What would Mac be? Is/has Harry changed alignment as the books progress?
Just bored and wondering....

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
Re: Alignment?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
I still don't understand that whole D&D alignment thing. People are not so easily pigeonholed as that. ::)
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
This will end in flames.  Alignment discussions always do.

Harry himself is Chaotic Good.  He is a strong proponent of "doing the right thing."  He also frequently expresses the belief that rules and society get in the way of doing the right thing, more than they help.  On more than one occasion, he has not only ignored the rules, but gone out of his way to thumb his nose at the establishment.

Murphy is Lawful Good, though heavier on the Lawful side.  She truly believes that the law is there to help people, and that doing things by the book is the right way.  She's also a strong proponent of the needs and rights of the "greater good," focused more on society as a whole than any given individual.  However, she has frequently bent the law in order to do "the right thing," which pushes her out of the Lawful Neutral alignment.

Marcone is Lawful Evil.  He has no compunction about using any means necessary to achieve his ends.  However, of paramount concern to him is order (with himself at the top).  He rules both himself and his organization with an iron fist.

Bianca is Neutral Evil.  She is, ultimately, incredibly selfish.  While she is able to run her own organization, and to play at least moderately well in the Great Game of the vampire courts, she has shown a remarkable lack of discipline on a personal level.  Or maybe Harry just brings out that side of her....

Bob is Chaotic Neutral, or at least Neutral with Chaotic tendencies.  While he is also selfish, he is not interested in pursuing his interests at the expense of others.  He is a lone wolf, who is not at all interested in working with any larger organizations.  He also frequently encourages Harry to take the most expedient solution, even if some people might get hurt along the way.

Billy is Neutral Good (although he would probably self-identify as Lawful Good).  He is entirely about "doing the right thing."  He falls into the Neutral category because of his views on authority and group dynamics.  He wants to be part of, and to lead, a pack.  And, he wants cooperation with the other supernatural critters.  But, he very deliberately chose to be a vigilante, to work outside the established system.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »
I still don't understand that whole D&D alignment thing. People are not so easily pigeonholed as that. ::)

It depends on how you look at it.  The alignments aren't discrete and well-defined boxes.  They are convenient labels.  It's not any different from trying to pigeonhole someone's political leanings with "left wing" and "right wing."  Sure, those labels are very broad strokes.  And, any two people within those labels may have radically divergent opinions on some topics.  But, you could also probably have a similar topic that tried to guess what political party each character belongs to (Harry is Libertarian, Murphy is Democratic, Marcone is Republican, etc.).

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
This will end in flames.  Alignment discussions always do.

;) Yes.... *blink blink blink, bats eyes angelically*
Well, yes, I tend to be a pot-stirrer.
BUT
I was also thinking that Jim is enamored of elements and balance....i.e. Summer/Winter White/Black...etc. You can see it both series.
 If we make a "chart" of characters, alignments, etc, we can get a picture of possible allies, enemies, and free-lancers.
Also, aligning elements....llike is fire CN? earth LG?
Just thought it might be fun from a puzzle point of view.

I posted this here since not everyone is familiar with RPG's....I'd be interested to see how non-gamers might interpret characters' leanings..... ::)
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline tagnizkur

• Conversationalist
  • 1 IN 88 The numbers grow!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

Like someone mentioned... Always choose Chaotic Good.  You can do pretty much whatever you want.  :)
My Sons Page, click to support us in the walk.
http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
Autism Speaks, Its Time to Listen.

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:24:31 PM »
Think I'd rather stick with my original plan of not playing games with "classes" and "alignments" ;D
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:22:16 AM »
Basically, alignment is a way to make it possible to kill things and take their stuff without worrying about being, essentially, a serial killer.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Wolfhowls

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 05:12:04 AM »
Well we all know Micheal is Lawful Good. Even though I think Karrin Murphy is more Lawful Neutral.

Offline Weaverchilde

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »
everyone is just one good delusional motivation and chemical imbalance away from being a seriall killer...

really though, this is why if I HAVE to have an alignment system, I choose Palladiums Alignment system. Harry was Scrupulous and has shifted towards Unprincipled. I perfer the new nWoD system of Virtues and Vices or hell the old Nature system worked well too when people actually used it

Rabidpancakes

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:46:19 AM »
I'm a half-giant and therefore have no alignment.

Wow, I just pulled that one out of the Dark Sun books. Now...Is Harry a Preserver or a Defiler?
Is Michael a Templar? Is Marcone really a Dragon-King. For answers to these questions tune in next time to the AD+D forum!

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »
kincaid?

Wolfhowls

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
kincaid?

Kincaid...I think he would be True Neutral. He only does stuff for hinself. Even though he can len to Neutral Evil sometimes.

Offline Weaverchilde

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 12:29:29 AM »
And Kincaid is a prime example of why D&D alignments just don't cut it. Kincaid would be Aberrant all the way:
1. Always keep his word of honor (he is honorable).
2. Lie to and cheat those not worthy of his respect.
3. May or may not kill an unarmed foe.
4. Not kill (may harm, kidnap) an innocent, particularly a child.
5. Never kills for pleasure.
6. Not resort to inhumane treatment of prisoners, but torture, although
distasteful, is a necessary means of extracting information.
7. Never torture for pleasure.
8. May or may not help someone in need.
9. Work with others to attain his goals.
10. Respect honor and self-discipline.

11. Never betray a friend.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 04:58:23 AM »
Rabidpancakes and I would have to agree with Weaverchilde