Author Topic: Writing gigs...  (Read 9143 times)

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
Writing gigs...
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:07:52 AM »
So I thought it would be nice to have some place to look and dream ... I belong to an info group that is for the media types here in SoCal and every once in a while I get one of these that I think is interesting... Feel free to post any thing/place else you find a writing gig that might pay...

FAMILY FRIENDLY TIME TRAVEL SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
    State and Cabrillo - Family Time Travel Paradox
    ---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length family friendly time travel paradox scripts - i.e., material in the vein of "Back to the Future." 
    IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

Budget will not exceed $10 million.  WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "Boxboarders!" and "You May Not Kiss The Bride."

TO SUBMIT:
    1. Please go to www.InkTippro.com/leads
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code: ytn3smczx8
    4. You will be submitting a logline and synopsis only.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Please mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Writing gigs...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »
Willing to bet you need to have full polished script to back up your proposal, right?  LOL

My 2nd book of my completed 1st book YA is all time travel...but I stopped working on it until someone bites on the first, as in 3/4 rough draft done. Plus I've  not idea how to write a script. It's on my to do list, but I think I'd better get the writing novel thing down. Although, one of my classmates in class where I wrote the 1st is married to a Disney producer type.... She like the story, but I'd better find an agent first...

My completed paranormal has only snippets, and I'm sure they want more time travel in it.

Still, I hope someone on this forum goes for it.  Keep us posted on future postings?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
Willing to bet that you are right Meg.
Re: Script writing.  I took a script writing class from D.C.Fontana.
In script writing you strive for showing something rather than saying it and being economical
with your words.  Rule of thumb - excluding action scenes - one page equals one minute of screen time.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »
Rule of thumb - excluding action scenes - one page equals one minute of screen time.
So scripts are actually shorter to write but far more structured...

TWEEN SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
    Daniel L. Paulson Productions - Tween Lead, Features
    ---------------

We are looking for tween scripts with a male or female tween lead (protagonist is 8-13 years old).  This should be about kids having fun, wish fulfillment.  No heavy lesson learning stories.  It should be "clean" and fairly wholesome.  The target audience would be tweens and family.

Budget is relatively low.  Both WGA and Non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "Gone" (Lifetime) and "Battle of the Bulbs" (Hallmark Channel).

TO SUBMIT:
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code: 1ekwz7mju6

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Please mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com

"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
You got it, Kristine.
Scripts have a specific layout and there's far less writing than a short story or a novel.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »
    HORROR SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
    Heitmann Entertainment - Seeking Psych Horror Screenplays
    ---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length horror and psychological horror scripts. We really just need material that is smart and concept driven, NOT relying on gore or torture, i.e. material in the vein of "The Strangers" or "Insidious."

Budget will be between $1million and $5million.  WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "The Sensei" and "Monsterpocalypse."

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code: dpzx0m6c65

jerrol@inktip.com

-John Lennon-

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
You're going to get me to take a script class rather than my character class this summer at IA Writer's Festival? Shameful person. It would be fun though to explore new directions and spark my brain cells.

Honestly, isn't marketing a script far more unlikely to meet success than a novel? What is the talk on the west coast?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:07:31 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
You're going to get me to take a script class rather than my character class this summer at IA Writer's Festival? Shameful person. It would be fun through to explore new directions and spark my brain cells.

Honestly though, isn't marketing a script far more unlikely to meet success than a novel? What is the talk on the west coast?

Yes, you stand a much better chance of marketing a novel than a script no matter where you are.
And a lot of companies want you to have some sort of track record.
You also need, if you're a newbie, to have your script done completely and done perfectly.
Of course with the new script writing programs that's not too hard.
You have to be ready to pitch a couple of other ideas if they don't like the first one if you
get a chance to pitch.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:35 AM »
Yes, you stand a much better chance of marketing a novel than a script no matter where you are.
Why do you think this?
-John Lennon-

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
For one. Novels cost a lot less to produce and are therefore much less risky for publishers, than say a feature film.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Sounds like they're building a sort of "interim" slush pile to draw from as clients come shopping for scripts, as opposed to getting ready to make a movie themselves.  Makes a lot of sense.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I'd not expect much in the way of speedy action on submissions beyond an initial review.  I wouldn't see any harm in submitting to them, but I'd find out if submisisons become there exclusive property, or if you can still submit that script elsewhere in the meantime.  (If it's a script that was just gathering dust anyway, no harm.)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
...You have to be ready to pitch a couple of other ideas if they don't like the first one if you get a chance to pitch.
So you'd need a complete and perfect script for each idea you pitch. That would assure that you know what you are doing and not trying a quick single punch at it. Expounding on that and given that medium's climate for brainstorming an entire array of ideas, let's see, 10 minute pitch... a clever fast thinking agent could get you rattling off, what five per minute or maybe 30 total, leaving four minutes for expansion of ones the agent likes? That would mean you're showing a wide range and depth of scripts in your docket, which would be massively impressive. Plus you'd get a real feel for what the market might be trending toward as well. Speed dating at its best with the minimum of financial investment.

So has anyone tried a massive elevator session with a lit agent? I suspect the script agent would love it; the lit agent might cringe.  LOL

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
Why do you think this?

Well, you've heard that line - every cockroach in Hollywood has a script.  While being somewhat nasty, it is in essence correct.  There are many thousands of scripts in Hollywood, maybe a couple of hundred will get a look over, and less than 100 will be optioned, and not all of those will be made.
Darkshore also has it right.  It costs a whole LOT less to do a novel than a script.
Re: Pitching ideas.  No Meg, you don't need a complete script for every idea you pitch.  You do need a complete script for the idea they want to talk to you about, first.  (They want to see that you CAN complete a script.)  If you see that they sort of like your initial idea but maybe want to go in a different direction - you have to be flexible enough to say.  "Well, how about if we have the hero/heroine do this instead.  Change it to a PI story."  While doing your own thing you do need to be aware of what the trends are in Hollywood and things that will tend to make them leary.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 03:33:58 AM »
Well, you've heard that line - every cockroach in Hollywood has a script.  While being somewhat nasty, it is in essence correct.  There are many thousands of scripts in Hollywood, maybe a couple of hundred will get a look over, and less than 100 will be optioned, and not all of those will be made.
Darkshore also has it right.  It costs a whole LOT less to do a novel than a script.
While it's true that any kind of artistic endeavor has boatloads of competition (there is another line about every failed writer having a draft of the 'Great American Novel' secreted away in their desk drawer) - I would think because script writing IS so formulary and you DO have to be open to changes if your new - that it would be less enticing to do made-to-order stuff...Maybe it's because I'm here in LA that I see the 'independent movie' crowd making real crap scripts that I think it might be easier than novels - lol.

HIGH-CONCEPT THRILLER SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
    Softcelluoid Films - High Concept Thriller Scripts
    ---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length high concept thriller scripts, i.e. stories in the vein of "Looper," "Memento," or "The Divide."  Please note that, if you can't pitch your script in a single sentence, it isn't high concept.

Budget will not exceed $2 million.  WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include the multiple award winning film "Intelligence," and we are repped by a major studio management company.

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code: 9gyn7zsu26

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:10:29 AM by Kristine »
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »
Crap scripts might be easier to write but are far harder, I think, to sell.
And because they are formulaic and, somewhat, easier to write than a novel there are far, far, far more of them than novels written.
Everybody seems to think they can write a script.  (They can't but that doesn't stop them.)
Having read my share of REALLY bad scripts.  Also having watched the resulting mess (CAN WE SAY SCIFY) on TV.