Author Topic: Writing gigs...  (Read 9130 times)

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
Re: Writing gigs...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
IGH CONCEPT COMEDY SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
Street Justice Films - Seeking Unique High Concept Comedy Scripts
---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length comedy scripts that start out with comedy on the first page and are completely out of the box.  Submissions must be for high concept material that can be pitched in a sentence or less, and must be completely non-derivative, i.e., as insane as possible, preferably R-rated, and in the vein of nothing you've seen in a comedy movie before.  Target audience is the 18-35 demo.

Budget will not exceed $1 million. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include “FDR: American Badass."

TO SUBMIT:
1. Please go to www.InkTippro.com/leads
2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
3. Copy/Paste this code: wxhche1gvc
4. You will be submitting a logline and synopsis only.

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
Being a huge Buffy fan, I have the scripts for all 7 seasons.  It is interesting to read the script then watch the actual product.  I have them and would post/send but I have no idea what the legalities for distrubuting them would be.  Anyone?
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
I've no idea about the legality of posting them, but I don't think they'd fall under the category of "bootlegs" or anything like that.  I'll check with the Gr'Up Mods and see what they say.  Might be ok just to email them to interested parties rather than post here.  I'll get back to ya.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
Being a huge Buffy fan, I have the scripts for all 7 seasons.  It is interesting to read the script then watch the actual product.  I have them and would post/send but I have no idea what the legalities for distrubuting them would be.  Anyone?
You have them in digital form?
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »
I have consulted with My Superiors, and they don't see a problem with providing a link scripts or simply saying "Hey, can you email me blahblahblah" here on the forums, we just can't actually post the scripts themselves here.

By the way, Kristine, I've gotta tip my hat to you for keeping this thread updated with opportunities for our members.  I think this thread could provide some people with great opportunities.  Got a fiction piece percolating myself which I might fire off when it's done.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
no problem - I would be very happy if someone could get a gig out of the things I post.  I was kinda hoping other people would post any for-pay writing jobs they find too but...meh, I'll be the only one if need be.

The e-mails that I get these from did make me want to learn how to write scripts too....lol.
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »
Writing scripts is a skill you can learn.
I can give you some pointers if you want.
My teacher was D.C.Fontana.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »
And once more I bow before your Awesome.   And quietly stew in jealousy.  And then watch Journey to Babel, because for me that episode is the essence of Star Trek.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:35 AM »
Writing scripts is a skill you can learn.
I can give you some pointers if you want.
My teacher was D.C.Fontana.
I'd be starting from scratch - any books in particular you would recommend?
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:54 AM »
We didn't have a text book in our script writing class but since then I've found or
heard of these others.

The Complete Book of Scriptwriting by Michael Strazynski - that's a good one.
Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
Creating Unforgettable characters by Linda Seger
Making a good script great  by Linda Seger
A Martian Wouldn't say that - this one is just for giggles to show how incredibly silly
a major network can be.

There's a whole raft load of others out there.  If you can borrow a copy from the library then you can
check them out and see which one works for you.

Basic rule of thumb - one page equals one minute of screen time.  Action shots may be different but you figure on the basic rule.  So a two hour script should be 120 pages more or less.
Basic difference between script and prose.  You want to show it in script not say it.  Talking heads (excluding Bob) rarely ever work in scripts.  You can't get wordy like you do
in prose.  Even scene descriptions and people descriptions must be short and sweet.
What works in prose often does not work in a script.  IE: A character's speech in a book
comes across on screen as too wordy or too stilted.  Learn to listen to how your characters talk
in your head.  And listen to how people talk around you.
However like prose - you need a good story and characters people can identify with.
DO NOT USE SPECIAL EFFECTS UNLESS YOU NEED THEM.  THEY CANNOT MAKE A SO SO MOVIE GREAT!
DO NOT CREATE ALL SORTS OF FANCY VISUAL SHOTS - THAT'S FOR THE DIRECTOR AND THE DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY TO DO.
Try to get ahold of actual scripts to see how they're laid out and how scenes are written.
I believe that Josh Whedon has a book on some of the Buffy scripts which will show you what the original writing was like and what it looks like on the air.
Luckily you no longer need to number your scenes as you once had to - makes life a whole lot easier.
You need a good script writing software if you intend to do this a lot - it's a heck of a lot easier than just setting up tabs and the like on your computer.  I understand Final Draft is one of the better, industry wide
ones.

As I can think up more I'll add to this or if you've got a question PM me.  If I don't know it, I know who I can ask.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
And once more I bow before your Awesome.   And quietly stew in jealousy.  And then watch Journey to Babel, because for me that episode is the essence of Star Trek.

I'm not that awesome, PG, I just got lucky.
I like Journey also.  D.C. has a way with characters.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:57 AM »
    "FOUND FOOTAGE" SCRIPTS WANTED

---------------
    Scorpio Studios - Seeking Unique Found Footage Scripts
    ---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length completely unique found footage scripts, i.e. material where the story appears to be assembled from footage (like "Cloverfield", "Chronicle" or "Quarantine"), but with stories that are non-derivative and completely different from the premises of the mentioned films.

Please submit through this form even if you're an agent; no phone calls please.

Budget will not exceed $1 million.  WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include 'The Derby Stallion' starring Zac Efron.

TO SUBMIT:
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code: kednkv749c

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Please mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »
If you're looking to write scripts for either movies or TV the following
should be enormously helpful.
It's the Writer's Guild website.  There's one for the West Coast and one for the East Coast.
Anyway - you can go online at http://www.wga.org/ and the website will come up.
If you check under Writer's Resources and/or Writing Tools you can find all sorts of cool
information and websites.  Accordingly you don't have to be a member of the Writer's Guild
to download some of the stuff - or at most they'll ask for a low fee.
 Under Writing Tools - I found - Ask the Expert - which had listings - email and the like for finding info
on subjects for your script or a story - like the military, or government, or medical.  I even saw one for dinosaurs.  Very cool.
A treasury of FYI info - all out in the open.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:47 AM »
    ACTION SCRIPTS WANTED - CHARACTER DRIVEN

---------------
    Special Order Films - Seeking Character Driven Action Scripts
    ---------------

We are looking for completed feature-length action/drama scripts with really strong, developed protagonists.

Submissions need be for contemporary material that does not require large amounts of FX or large scenes with crowds, i.e. something in the vein of "Blood Simple."

Budget will be between $1million and $2million. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "Tripping Forward."

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code: g4ru0mcfuu

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Please mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
Stumbled across this from Michael Stackpole's Twitter feed....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/international-radio-playwrighting-comp-2012

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com