Author Topic: MacAnally's itself  (Read 10723 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
MacAnally's itself
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
So now that we're into the realm of the new boards and all, it seems to me like there's not a lot of "space" left that would need a general, catch-all board like Mac's to exist. At this point, it feels -- to me -- like the "Community" category of boards *is* MacAnally's (and if so, could stand to be renamed as such).  Am I wrong?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: MacAnally's itself
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
I think that there's a place for just about everything at present.  If folks come up with more ideas for topics that aren't covered, we can made adjustments, but I don't see the need for a catch-all.  I'm cool with renaming it to Mac's.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:57:39 PM »
As long as there's a place for general, unspecified, undirected conversation, I think we should be just fine. The only two things I would expect of it are:
1) Rename it as you yourself suggested.
2) Make it as easy to find from the board directory as Mac's was.
With those two things, I think it would satisfy anyone who isn't dead-set on finding problems. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
I think you've got it more than covered.  And I think if members find something missing or lacking perhaps they could petition you for it?  But as you've said elsewhere, even nonsensical, PG-13 threads have a place in the community boards.  

Just my $0.02.  And thanks again.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »
if it says Mac, it's cool with me.   I don't drop in often anymore, but I like to know it's there.  You know, the "Everybody knows your name" syndrome.  I also think that it is an entry door for new people.  You could always say, "stop in at Mac's" to the new guys and you could get a sense of who they were. 

That general entry door is just a nice welcome and a great spring board.  IMO
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
As long as there's a place for general, unspecified, undirected conversation, I think we should be just fine.

I second Shecky on that.  I guess the chat partially covers that, but I know there are people around who prefer the (slightly) slower paced atmosphere of talking in a thread.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
I am one of those people who likes the slower paced convos, the ~pop in and see what everyone has been up to~ kinda-gal.  I like that kind of format over the chat.  I would absolutely love for the place to be MacNally's again.
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
I am one of those people who likes the slower paced convos, the ~pop in and see what everyone has been up to~ kinda-gal.  I like that kind of format over the chat.  I would absolutely love for the place to be MacNally's again.

Yep. And that's what all of the Community boards are, in aggregate, I think.  As far as general conversations go, I think a combination of the Other Silliness and the Story of Us boards does the trick -- the latter, in particular, works well for getting-to-know-you threads.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:17 PM »
Change Community to Mac's, and maybe rework some of the board descriptions to reflect the changes.  (There is some redundancy, like pointing to Media Favorites for video games when I think the description for one of the games boards includes video games.)

MacAnally's as a name has been around forever.  Maybe it's silly, but, as someone who followed over from the old mailing list, I'd hate to see the name go.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »
Change Community to Mac's, and maybe rework some of the board descriptions to reflect the changes.  (There is some redundancy, like pointing to Media Favorites for video games when I think the description for one of the games boards includes video games.)

MacAnally's as a name has been around forever.  Maybe it's silly, but, as someone who followed over from the old mailing list, I'd hate to see the name go.

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan and perspective. :) I'm just looking to see if I'm off base. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
I'd get yelled at at work for popping up the ajax chat window. They're pretty liberal about stuff, but there are limits.

Overall, you've done a pretty decent job at compartmentalizing McAnnaly's into a bunch of cubicles. It's a happier, more structured place now.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »
Wait, you mean this place was sopposed to be structured? Aw man.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
Its like that credit score commercial. We were a "bad 509" but after some watching and guiding we're on our way to becoming a "Who's a good 745? You're a good 745!".

YOUTUBE
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
As long as there's a place for general, unspecified, undirected conversation, I think we should be just fine. The only two things I would expect of it are:
1) Rename it as you yourself suggested.
2) Make it as easy to find from the board directory as Mac's was.
With those two things, I think it would satisfy anyone who isn't dead-set on finding problems. :D

+1

As long as there's still a  catch-all that doesn't include the new chat feature, I'm fine with not having this anymore and renaming the whole section Mac's.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline MouseWynne

• Seriously?
  • Never seek to know for whom the bell tolls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:39:05 AM »
I'm another one who's in favor of having one slower none directed conversational thread - in my case, even though I could access chat from work, when I'm most likely to be on the forum, it's verbotten and
since I'm the enforcer I really can't pull a do as I say, not as I do. (And it wouldn't need to be archived-
when it got to the split point it could be split and the older portion dumped.)

Other than that, renaming Community to Mac's sounds like the way to go.
Beware of people who dislike cats. Irish proverb

Cliffs are for climbing, that's why God gave us grappling hooks.  Constable B. Fraser, RCMP (Due South)