Author Topic: MacAnally's itself  (Read 10724 times)

Offline elsupremo

• Conversationalist
  • Possible Illusion
    • View Profile
Re: MacAnally's itself
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:33:19 AM »
As long as there's a place for general, unspecified, undirected conversation, I think we should be just fine. The only two things I would expect of it are:
1) Rename it as you yourself suggested.
2) Make it as easy to find from the board directory as Mac's was.
With those two things, I think it would satisfy anyone who isn't dead-set on finding problems. :D

I'm another in favor of long undirected conversation threads. I don't have a computer at work and tend to work weird hours so the chat feature is of very limited use in my situation.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
I think the drawback of chat is that it is just idle chitchat between a few people, whereas in the thread form it becomes a conversation that people work together to create over time.

It seems more like a collaborate effort at decoration than conversation, with pictures and comments and such.

Truly, it is reviving the art of conversation.

Ok, that was overly dramatic, I like the threads, is all :D*shrug*
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
I get that. But persistence is part of what gave rise to the problems that prompted the big redecoration (people coming in hours or days after someone misbehaved and getting riled up all over again), so I do regard the chat option as having features that are better than threads, too. ;)

I don't think that "undirected conversation" is really established as a *positive* pattern here on the forum. And even so, the "and other silliness" part of the Forum Games area does suggest to me that a little undirection is still possible.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »
I get that. But persistence is part of what gave rise to the problems that prompted the big redecoration (people coming in hours or days after someone misbehaved and getting riled up all over again), so I do regard the chat option as having features that are better than threads, too. ;)

Hmmm, tricky. Give a guy some paint he could make a Mona Lisa or slop curse words on the wall...

I do not envy your choice, Sir.
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »
Its like that credit score commercial. We were a "bad 509" but after some watching and guiding we're on our way to becoming a "Who's a good 745? You're a good 745!".

YOUTUBE

But...But...I thirive in Chaos and Annacy...
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
Wait, you mean this place was sopposed to be structured? Aw man.

I liked having Mac's as a catch all, and the angst corner as a catch all with passion.

Personally, I don't like having everything so segmented and organized.  Makes me confused if I have a borderline topic that might fit in a couple spots.  Or I might miss something I would be interested in because somebody else did, and thought differently than me in where to post.

I also prefer the board to chat.  Chat is transitory and seems like a commitment.  I think chat is nice to have(even if the client being used isn't the most robust), but I don't think that it should be touted as a substitute for anything.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
I liked having Mac's as a catch all, and the angst corner as a catch all with passion.

The passion was a big problem.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
Wait, you mean this place was sopposed to be structured? Aw man.

Personally, I don't like having everything so segmented and organized.  Makes me confused if I have a borderline topic that might fit in a couple spots.  Or I might miss something I would be interested in because somebody else did, and thought differently than me in where to post.

I also prefer the board to chat.  Chat is transitory and is much more of a time commitment, along with being less forgiving if you want to take a second to think.  I think chat is nice to have(even if the client being used isn't the most robust), but I don't think that it should be touted as a substitute for anything.

But really, I like threads better.  For example: The Chuck Norris jokes irrationally annoy me an extreme degree.  So much of the time, chat is absolutely useless to me.  I can choose to not visit a chuck norris thread with no penalty in community participation.  Not so in chat.

Sorry about the double post.  Didn't realize it was posted the first time.  Leaving this one since I had added a bit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:51:38 PM by Sully »

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much my plan and perspective. :) I'm just looking to see if I'm off base. :)

I actually think of the whole thing as "Mac's", with various sub-forums for talking about the books, media, games, etc.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
But...But...I thirive in Chaos and Annacy...
*blinking my eyes*  wait, I think my color red has chaos, but your color of white craves law and order! That places us as enemies, but then why do I feel the compulsion to hug you and forgive your sins?   he he

I agree with Curly, but that's my liberal heart.  What if you deleted the flame post so it isn't out there forever for re-hash?  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:33:32 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Katy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »
As you see, I'm a VERY infrequent poster.  However, I've been (mostly) lurking here for years.  I'm glad to see this reorganization and refocusing, because the general vibe of the place had definitely gone downhill, to the point where even my lurking was becoming less and less.  I do like the idea of keeping MacAnally's as a general non-directed conversation area -- every board I frequent has such an area, and I find that it's the best, quickest way to get a feeling for the general environment of the board.  What are the board norms, how are they enforced, are new voices welcomed, and so forth. 

As for the chat, I enjoy an occasional chat, but I don't think it serves the same function as a general discussion area.  Yes, that can be both good and bad, but speaking as somebody who tends to lurk more than post, and needs to feel fairly comfortable with the community before posting, I won't even dip my toes into chat until I've posted quite a lot more than I have here, and until I think I'll recognize and be recognized by some of the folks in the chat.

Iago and all the mods -- thanks for all of your work on this project!

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
I agree with Curly, but that's my liberal heart.  What if you deleted the flame post so it isn't out there forever for re-hash?  

People send PM's to figure it out, or just ask in the thread and are informed.

Offline Ahrrie

• Posty McPostington
  • Tiny... but Fierce.
    • View Profile
    • Art
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
Personally, I kind of feel like a general catch-all (and undirected topic)board might contribute to the problems already encountered before in Mac's... As it is there seems like there's something for everyone in the community section, and then there's always the chat now too :)

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
The passion was a big problem.

Says the guy who killed his best friend Rodrigo for money, and who was indirectly responsible for the deaths of Othello and Desdemona, simply because he didn't get the promotion he wanted.  ;)

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different Iago...

Anyway, I see your reasons for not having an Angst corner anymore, but I still really feel that there needs to be a genuine off-topic section, even if it's only to take rambling from other threads and put them in the proper place.  The problem is that admins will never think of enough categories to satisfy everything, or even most things that people want to talk about.  And threads have a bit more permanence than the chat section, which does make a difference, especially when people have different schedules and can't get to the forum at the same time.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.