Author Topic: MacAnally's itself  (Read 10709 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: MacAnally's itself
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
At the end of the day, what makes this a community is not ordered discussion (well, not primarily; we obviously put a LOT into ordered discussion of something we all have in common). Community happens organically... which must allow for SOMETHING of the non-directed group conversation (which I differentiate sharply from "discussion", but that's just my take), or it stagnates. And if there's anything this community isn't, it's stagnant.

We need some yeast or the whole thing will fall flat and risk becoming boring (ever eaten matzah? :D ). And that would be a horrible shame, given the liveliness of the thing that brought us all together in the first place.

My official two cents' worth: Keep one non-directed, non-organized, non-titled (well, it HAS to have a title, just not a specific one that limits the category) subforum. Police it more heavily (when you have wild yeast, you always run the risk of breadsplosions), being sure to rub the puppy's nose in it immediately so he knows what he's done. Heck, call the place "Enough Rope" if you want - make the whole Community forum "Mac's" and call the free-for-all room "Enough Rope" - to drive the point home.

... jeez, I don't just stretch a metaphor, I put it on the frickin' rack.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
At the end of the day, what makes this a community is not ordered discussion (well, not primarily; we obviously put a LOT into ordered discussion of something we all have in common). Community happens organically... which must allow for SOMETHING of the non-directed group conversation (which I differentiate sharply from "discussion", but that's just my take), or it stagnates. And if there's anything this community isn't, it's stagnant.

This argument makes sense to me, and so do Fred's reasons for not favouring non-directed discussion; I would regret the absence of non-directed discussion, but not to the extent of expecting that Fred should provide it, I'm very cognisant of being here at all as a benefit we in general derive from a great deal of work on some people's behalf and very much do not want to be ungrateful.

... jeez, I don't just stretch a metaphor, I put it on the frickin' rack.

Insert MSD allusion here.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm brewing an idea. Mac-style.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Ahrrie

• Posty McPostington
  • Tiny... but Fierce.
    • View Profile
    • Art
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
Does it come in a brown unmarked bottle? >.>

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
Does it come in a brown unmarked bottle? >.>

Kinda! :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
This argument makes sense to me, and so do Fred's reasons for not favouring non-directed discussion; I would regret the absence of non-directed discussion, but not to the extent of expecting that Fred should provide it, I'm very cognisant of being here at all as a benefit we in general derive from a great deal of work on some people's behalf and very much do not want to be ungrateful.

Agreed. Anything other than regimented discussion of the books is eventually going to bubble up and get smelly all over Fred; the only question is balancing between the demands on Fred's time, energy and general put-up-with-itness, and the general spirit of this community. I think we as community members need to find some way to step up and keep the smelliness to a minimum, but damifino exactly HOW.  :-\
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:40 PM »
Kinda! :)

I see "The Bar" has been created, and the ground rules ("Accorded Neutral Ground") set. Whenever you open for business, I'll be happy to be a customer.  :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »
Does it bother anyone else that there are 11 subthreads in McAnally's?  Shouldn't there be 13? :D  With child boards, there are too many.

I dunno.  It's just me.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
Does it bother anyone else that there are 11 subthreads in McAnally's?  Shouldn't there be 13? :D  With child boards, there are too many.

I dunno.  It's just me.

LOL!See? There should be Weird and The Goddess thread added. Kali says so! ;) :D
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
*chants*  weird, weird, weird...
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
LOL!See? There should be Weird and The Goddess thread added. Kali says so! ;) :D

Egads, I've  been misquoted! :O

I'm fairly sure Weird is now Chat. ;)  Have you been in there?  Very weird.  I have spent much time analyzing the situation in Chat carefully, and can assure you of its Weirdness.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
Egads, I've  been misquoted! :O

I'm fairly sure Weird is now Chat. ;)  Have you been in there?  Very weird.  I have spent much time analyzing the situation in Chat carefully, and can assure you of its Weirdness.

True - the chat is Very weird! But it's not very Weird!

I spent a bunch of time in there yesterday. It's not horrible. It's just different, with different plusses and minuses which add up to something less than the Glorious Weird for me personally.

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
Mac's is back as The Bar. This topic, then, I think is closed. :)
Fred Hicks