Author Topic: I need an emotion for my White Vampire  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Shekbo

• Participant
    • View Profile
I need an emotion for my White Vampire
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:59:40 AM »
I'm creating some characters for a game set in Vermont. One of the characters is going to be a White Vampire who is the lead singer for a very popular band (think Phish or Dispatch or something similar). My hope is that he could feed on the emotions of the group during the show... touching the hands of fans leaning up on to the stage and so on. Plus maybe on the groupies that follow the band.

I could go with the standard lust but I'd like to tweak that a little and I'm not sure what to call it.

The ecstasy or high that people might get at a show like this might be too positive an emotion. Is addiction an emotion? I might be able to link this to drug use in some way... Maybe setting up the family as the local drug lords feeding off addiction. But I'm not sure if that works as an emotion.

Ideas?

Tom

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I need an emotion for my White Vampire
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:28:34 AM »
I think Euphoria might be the closest to what you're describing.

It can be either positive or negative (more about how it manifests in the individual).

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:00:08 AM »
Perhaps since he has the whole band angle he can feed off adoration or adulation?  He could crowdsurf and feed at the same time :D
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:33:36 AM »
You could also do worship, or devotion, although the problem with most of these is figuring out what the Catch is.  I suppose you could still go with True Love, but I'm not sure it fits as well with the emotional obsession of a crowd at a concert.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:49 AM »
Lust is probably your best bet. Your fans lust after you, I'm assuming the character is a hot dude and many of his groupies would drop panties if he winked at them. Maybe make it lust still, but his preference of lust is desire?

Also At Range would probably be a necessity, unless he only feeds from after concert sex.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:22 AM »
*Noms Fangurlz*
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:45 AM »
You could also do worship, or devotion, although the problem with most of these is figuring out what the Catch is.  I suppose you could still go with True Love, but I'm not sure it fits as well with the emotional obsession of a crowd at a concert.

I'd imagine the catch for Devotion/Worship would be True Apathy.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:59:32 AM »
Ennui?
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
I'd imagine the catch for Devotion/Worship would be True Apathy.

That doesn't seem right to me, simply because the opposite of Lust is not Love, and the notion of Apathy as an active emotion seems strange to me.  It'd have to be something like "True Understanding" or even True Love as an active, similar but counter emotion.  Just like the counter to Fear is Courage (keep in mind that Courage is not the absence of fear, simply a control and direction for it).

Either way, I think that Lust actually works fine
(click to show/hide)
(Deat Beat and onward spoilers.)  Fans lust after the rock star, and he or she feeds off of them.  Sheds a whole new light on the music revolution and rise of Rock and Roll during the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  Suddenly has mean thoughts for his players...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:59:44 AM »
Devotion actually sounds awesome as a posibility. The Catch would be True Faith...someone who is truly faithful can harm the character and is immune to his abilities to instill devotion.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »
I've come across something recently that brings in to question whether the Raiths feed on Lust or whether they are Ecstasy feeders and incite ecstasy. Lust is just one of the easiest directions to take the ecstasy. I'm looking to use the theory of three basic emotions (ecstasy, despair, fear) within my games for the White Court. The wider theory of six basic emotions (Paul Ekman) could be used to construct other White Court Houses, dominant in other areas of the world. Other lists of emotions are available in this wikipedia entry.

In this case, a Raith vampire feeding on Ecstasy would be a good choice for a vampire trying to feed "in bits" rather than large bites by performing. A pub or club crowd might just keep the hunger at bay. An arena crowd would satisfy hunger for a while. Periods where the band were off tour would be a problem for the character.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline Shekbo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
Wow,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going with Blind Devotion and using True Faith as a counter. I think blind devotion and addiction could be pretty closely tied so I will have some of the family into the drug trade as a complication.

Tom

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
Losing control during a performance would be both bad for the character and great for the band's mystique!  Imagine a goth band with a reputation for occasionally killing a fan with nothing but the dark power of their music...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:55:39 PM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »
Yum, lots of potential for vengeful parents and investigations/raids for drugs mid-concert. Protests outside the entrance against the band and their "satanic and evil" music.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
..on a completely different but semish note..

I made a character who could Incite: Courage. Not an emotional vampire though, he was a Paladin.