Author Topic: I need an emotion for my White Vampire  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: I need an emotion for my White Vampire
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:54 AM »
Yeah, but Blind and True are basically antonyms, which makes quite a difference.

As for Aspects indicating it, um, having any of the True Faith powers? Every Aspect Michael has? Most of Sanya's and Father Forthill's as well?

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »
Do you realize there is an entire section of powers based on True Faith?
I am well aware of True Faith powers.  But it seems hokey to suddenly see a lot of NPCs with true faith.

But true faith as a defense seems either too easy or too hard depending on the degree of specificity.

Is Dresden protected because of his faith in his magic?  Or is he vulnerable because of his admitted non-partisanship (despite "knowing" that there are super powerful--divine?--beings).

Is a run down cop vulnerable because he has been on the job for 30 years?  Or protected because he knows that backup is just a button away (cops carry a panic button of sorts that summons all available units)?

Is devotion (in the traditional sense) really the right emotion or is this vampire feeding off people's need for something to believe in?  The need to belong?
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 03:30:21 AM »
All those are valid questions. But I can ask the same ones about True Hope, or True Courage, or even True Love. The answers will likely vary between GMs and should absolutely be delved into if you're playing such a creature...but asking them doesn't invalidate the idea of the emotion and Catch in question.

Also, in order:

Alot? All you reall need is one. It's supposed to be a rare Catch after all (+0, remember?).

The same could be said of True Love or any of the other emotions. The GM is needed to find an appropriate balance.

Probably vulnerable, unless he's got true, real, faith in something larger than himself (Murphy's belief in the law likely qualifies).

Is there a meaningful, non-semantic, distinction?

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 03:39:06 AM »
IMC,  I have a White Court Vampire whose weakness is True Faith. But my take on it is that White Court Vampires aren't affected by people WITH True whatever, but the target of that. So people who have true faith in god, aren't protected by that faith.. but god is. So celebrities and/or personal heroes will have people with True Faith in them, and be protected, which actually I think, will irritate vampires a lot more and do stuff to muddy the political waters which I think is great. Plus, those with true faith will create symbols of faith, which means that there's often a physical manifestation for people to defend themselves with. All this adds up to /exciting/ niftiness for you to pull in game.

You can really do the same thing with True Love, Hope or Courage. It makes it more like it is in the books, IMO.. Harry Dresden has True Love with Susan,
(click to show/hide)