Author Topic: Hunger Stress Track and Consequences.  (Read 3046 times)

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
Hunger Stress Track and Consequences.
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Does a character with a high Discipline get a mild Hunger Consequence if they have Feeding Dependancy?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: Hunger Stress Track and Consequences.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »
I'd say yes. It makes sense that they'd get the same bonus consequence from having a Superb Discipline that another character would get for having a high Endurance.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »
Quote from: Feeding Dependency
Hunger Is Stressful. You have an additional stress track called hunger. The length of the track works like those of other stress tracks from Endurance, Conviction, etc., only using Discipline as the base skill. Unlike other stress tracks, you may not clear this out at the end of a scene (see below).

Yeah, it works like the other stress tracks, so discipline gives you an extra mild just like endurance would for physical.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »
Yeah, they explicitly do. Look at Mr Lagios in th Baltimore section, or Lara Raith in OW.

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
That's the kind of thing I was looking for Deadmanwalking, but Lara doesn't have Discipline 5. Lord Raith does, but though is listed for having an extra mild consequence for social (Superb Presence), he apparently doesn't get a second for hunger (Superb Discipline). At least not in my copy.

Vasiliki does, though. Discipline is his only stress track skill at Superb, so it's pretty clear the extra consequence comes from his Hunger track.

Not sure if this all adds up to yes they do or no they don't... and can these extra consequences be used for anything? Do you only get one extra mild consequence from your skills, even if you have several?

But extra mild consequences can come from stunts, which makes it kind of hard to tell from the sheets...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:09:50 PM by GoldenH »

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
You get as many extra consequences as your skills say, it's just that most characters will only have one, maybe two, skills at Superb in any case.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
That's the kind of thing I was looking for Deadmanwalking, but Lara doesn't have Discipline 5. Lord Raith does, but though is listed for having an extra mild consequence for social (Superb Presence), he apparently doesn't get a second for hunger (Superb Discipline). At least not in my copy.

Well, that's what I get for posting without checking to make sure my memory was correct. As for Daddy Raith, I guess that's a typo, because literally everything else indicates they get it. Or maybe it's due to the curse and thus his inability to feed.

Vasiliki does, though. Discipline is his only stress track skill at Superb, so it's pretty clear the extra consequence comes from his Hunger track.

Pretty clear? It's explicit, since it directly follows his Hunger Stress.

Not sure if this all adds up to yes they do or no they don't... and can these extra consequences be used for anything? Do you only get one extra mild consequence from your skills, even if you have several?

Uh, yes you do. Each can be used ONLY for Consequences of the type that it's associated with (eg: Physical for Endurance, or Hunger for Discipline).

But extra mild consequences can come from stunts, which makes it kind of hard to tell from the sheets...

Not really, all sheets have a Stunt list.

Offline Dragon_Blooded

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:11 AM »
I've just read the Feeding Dependency rules, and IMO there's no such thing as a hunger consequences slots. When a character fails his Discipline roll to control hunger at the end of a scene, the text explicitly mentions that he can take physical and/or mental consequences to diminish the hunger stress, no separate hunger consequence slots are mentioned. In my game, I'm giving the extra stress boxes due to high Discipline, and ignore the extra mild consequence.

Eduardo Penna

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:08 AM »
It would make more sense to me that if your Discipline was Superb, you'd still get the extra consequence. Basically just write "Physical/Mental, Hunger Only" on the sheet next to the extra slot. That way, you're still taking the physical or mental consequence, but you get the same benefits for having a high resistance skill that everyone else does.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
It would make more sense to me that if your Discipline was Superb, you'd still get the extra consequence. Basically just write "Physical/Mental, Hunger Only" on the sheet next to the extra slot. That way, you're still taking the physical or mental consequence, but you get the same benefits for having a high resistance skill that everyone else does.

How is that any different from just calling it a Mild Hunger Consequence?  The different types of consequences only come into play when a character has a Superb fortitude skill or a Stunt like No Pain, No Gain.  Specifying "physical/mental" in Feeding Dependency just means that the otherwise specific extra mild consequences of those types may also be used to soak Hunger stress.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
It's no different at all from just saying Hunger Consequence.

Basically I'm in favour of granting an extra consequence for a Superb Discipline in the case of characters with Feeding Dependency, otherwise it doesn't fit with how the other resistance skills work.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
No disagreement there.  I was just scratching my head as to why a "physical/mental mild consequence - hunger only" was better than just a "mild hunger consequence".
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Ah, sorry.  :)

It was more to help the idea fit in with Dragon_Blooded's comment that there was no such thing as a Hunger consequence.