Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126859 times)

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5355 on: November 13, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
After watching Elementary, I think that Adian Quinn would make an excellent choice for Murphy's dad.

My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
Nice!

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
I'm bored today, sorry for bombing everyone's inbox.

Here's my choice for Toot Toot, Steve Zahn: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001872/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: November 14, 2012, 03:45:36 AM »
Thank you dea, As far as my man vince, I am actually a fan of his... He was on a short lived, but excellent show on Sci-Fi called " The Invisible Man" He was a very good mix of good, evil, and smart @$$. I Have thought of him as Harry... I keep trying to come up for reasons to say no... but I Keep coming back to him... I have looked at the others who people have suggested and I, putting them under scroutany find that Most of them are too young, or either The right level of smart @$$. I vote Yes on Vince

What I find most interesting is that folks aren't taking age into consideration for "Casting".  I know this is all speculation and wishful thinking, but when I picture these actors/actresses playing Dresden characters, I tend to imagine that the entire book series is going to be put into film.  And for that, you have to cast fairly young.  Even at two books a year, you're talking about a 12 year run on television. 

To start the series, Harry is mid-to-late-twenties.  Thomas is 5 years older, if I remember correctly.  That means he's late-twenties-to-early-thirties before we see him.  So casting Bomer (35) as Thomas, especially a few years ago, would have been perfect.   But now he's too old to be the youngest Thomas is in the series.  And since Wamps are supposed to age slowly, you might actually have to cast someone the same age - or even younger - than your casting of Harry, to keep that youthful appearance throughout an extended show.

Of course, I've always thought that if they actually did a book-to-film series, they'd have to ease up on the eternal youth of everyone.  So maybe not, if they went that route.

OK, if we are going with Matt Bomer for Thomas, the I would cast Olivia Wilde as Lara, and Summer Glau as Inari

I made this family tree a while back.  Don't agree with all of it now.  But I agree with Olivia Wilde as Lara.  Summer Glau is too old for Inari, who is supposed to be late teens in BR.  Here I cast Victoria Justice as Inari.  The only fake casting was Justine, who's just a random webchick that caught the image.  I had fun with Elisa and Natalia :)

I'm bored today, sorry for bombing everyone's inbox.

Here's my choice for Toot Toot, Steve Zahn: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001872/
I think Zahn would be great as the character, but Toot is supposed to be similar in appearance to a teenager if I recall correctly.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
Well, nobody said we are beginning with the first books. I always imagine they are now, in the latest books. I laughed with your Elisa and Natalia.

If Matt Bomer is Thomas, a good choice for Lara would be Cobie Smulders, IMHO.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
     Griffin, as a whole I agree with you, Age is an important factor in casting. With Bomer though, Physical age is a non-Issue. Most actors can play a range of ages, and Like Dick Clark, Bomer has the good Genes.... He and I are the same age But He rocks it much better than I do... He has a face that could place him between 26 and 32.  He is one of those guys who looks like he would step into a room and the world opens up for him, I bet he doesn't have to work that hard to maintain his GQ appearance...The Bastard... and no matter how old he seemes to get, he keeps the boyish quality that makes him the type of guy that women ( and some men) will always take notice of.  Sounds Like Thomas to me...

The Real hard part will be actually casting Harry.  I have been thinking about it at long lengths. I Honestly believe Harry would have to be an unknown. Cast for the part thru audition, and surround him with good supporting people. I have looked through the suggestions, even my top picks, but it all falls apart under closer examination. I am in the beginning of changes now, but when I am done I am going to go back to storm front, and get a better mental picture of the first book, bc if that would be the premise of the first movie... we are all off base and we need to forget about the Wraiths for the time being
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5361 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
So I have a challenge for this thread.  We will likely never actually settle on any one set of castings, but it has come close in one instance:  Matt Bomer as Thomas has seen something close to universal acceptance. 

So here is the challenge:  Cast his family, those that are supposed to share a family resemblance.  Who would look like a believable Harry-as-Matt-Bomer's-Brother?  Who would make a good Lara in that context?  A good Papa Raith?  How about Madrigal and Madeline?

Cillian Murphy as Madrigal.  Sean Maher should be added in somewhere, too--he looks like he could be Bomer's family.

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: November 15, 2012, 08:18:10 AM »
Ed Wasser morden from b5 could be Nicodemus or Gabriel Macht from Suits maybe
Ed Wasser
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0913662/

Gabriel Macht
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532683/

Scott Patterson from gilmore girls could be Michael
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0666398/

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
Ed Wasser morden from b5 could be Nicodemus or Gabriel Macht from Suits maybe
Ed Wasser
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0913662/

Gabriel Macht
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532683/

Scott Patterson from gilmore girls could be Michael
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0666398/

I love Ed Wasser for this part!  (granted age might be an issue - but if we are building our fantasy team it just doesn't matter, does it?)  I loved hating in B5.  He does slick and creepy really well.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
If its people we love to hate, Im sure we can fit James Callis is there somewhere...Maybe Grevaine?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: November 15, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
If its people we love to hate, Im sure we can fit James Callis is there somewhere...Maybe Grevaine?

Nah, not Grevaine. This guy is good enough that I would want him to stick around for multiple appearances. So I'd put him as Cowl.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: November 15, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
Nah, not Grevaine. This guy is good enough that I would want him to stick around for multiple appearances. So I'd put him as Cowl.

This makes me happy.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
So he'd be stuck in a deep cowl with a voice changer?  Not the best spot for recognition, but then I didnt expect V for Vendetta to be as good as it was, sho who knows

Think he could pull off Nic?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: November 15, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
I don't think he'd have to use a voice changer, and unless my guess is very far off, him as Cowl would mean a much bigger part as the series progresses.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: November 15, 2012, 11:28:10 PM »

nicodemus