Author Topic: Thomas hoped Marcone would Kill Lara?  (Read 6398 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Thomas hoped Marcone would Kill Lara?
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:55:35 PM »
In the discussion on the WB on their way to Demonreach Harry mentions that he hoped Lara would kill Marcone.  Thomas mentioned that he hoped for the opposite.  That was a bit surprising. 

I thought there was genuine love between Lara and Thomas… or… is that simply not possible for White Court Vampires.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas hoped Marcone would Kill Lara?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »
In the discussion on the WB on their way to Demonreach Harry mentions that he hoped Lara would kill Marcone.  Thomas mentioned that he hoped for the opposite.  That was a bit surprising. 

I thought there was genuine love between Lara and Thomas… or… is that simply not possible for White Court Vampires.

Page number, chapter, book, please, I don't remember that and need context.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »

I was listening to the audio book.  Please give me a moment.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »

Cold Days Chapter 19, pg. 185 hard cover edition, bottom middle of the page:

”I was sort of hoping she’d kill him,” I said. (Harry) “I was sort of hoping for the other way around,” Thomas said.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
I think it was just shit talking

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 05:15:35 AM »

Thanks I will look it up.  However when you think about it, it makes some sense that he'd say that.   Lara was happy in a weird way after Shaggy got done with Thomas, because he became more coldly vampire like she was.  Remember how he was at the end of Turn Coat, but then Jim never did anything more with that.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 10:38:12 AM »
Because of the vampire White Court they need to eat. And Thomas wasn't eating. He was the equivalent of starving. Nobody wants to see their sibling starve themselves.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »
Because of the vampire White Court they need to eat. And Thomas wasn't eating. He was the equivalent of starving. Nobody wants to see their sibling starve themselves.

No, he wasn't, his hair business had taken care of that.. Also it wasn't that so much as how he began to look at humans, they became "kine" not people to him.  That latter was Lara's big lesson.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:29 AM »
Thanks I will look it up.  However when you think about it, it makes some sense that he'd say that.   Lara was happy in a weird way after Shaggy got done with Thomas, because he became more coldly vampire like she was.  Remember how he was at the end of Turn Coat, but then Jim never did anything more with that.

Plus Thomas wasn't ever particularly happy about Justine being Lara's secretary. The job was putting her in danger fairly regularly, and there was more than an undertone of Lara keeping her as a hostage against Thomas' good behaviour, no matter that she seems to have been materially well treated.

I'm not sure he was all the way sincere about wishing his sister dead either, but he has ample reasons for a ... nuanced ... attitude towards her.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 05:07:57 AM »
It's also quite possible that Lara feels more for Thomas than Thomas for Lara.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 09:56:04 AM »
I think it's to do with the fact that Thomas thought Lara has gotten "real scary" in the last couple of years.

So even if she's big sis, she's becoming that big of a problem/threat.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
Lara was using Justine to make sure that Thomas toed the line. With Harry it's Marcone becoming more of a threat. They were, in part, responsible for increasing the power of their respective irritants. This seems like a wistful look at the choices they made that got them there.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »
I think Thomas does probably love Lara.  If he truly wanted her dead, he'd have tried.  I think it's more that he knows how dangerous she is, and her motivations.  So on some level he loves her, but also knows that Justine, and Harry are in danger from her, and if he got in the way, she'd get rid of him too.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 05:39:48 AM »
I think Thomas does probably love Lara.  If he truly wanted her dead, he'd have tried.  I think it's more that he knows how dangerous she is, and her motivations.  So on some level he loves her, but also knows that Justine, and Harry are in danger from her, and if he got in the way, she'd get rid of him too.

My take away still is that I am disappointed that Jim didn't do more with the Thomas we saw at the end of Turn Coat.  There were real questions after the meeting in the zoo between him and Harry, whether or not Thomas could regain his humanity and or how Harry was going to deal with that. That could have been really interesting, but the next time we see Thomas it was like his sessions with Shaggy never happened.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 11:07:40 PM »
My take away still is that I am disappointed that Jim didn't do more with the Thomas we saw at the end of Turn Coat.  There were real questions after the meeting in the zoo between him and Harry, whether or not Thomas could regain his humanity and or how Harry was going to deal with that. That could have been really interesting, but the next time we see Thomas it was like his sessions with Shaggy never happened.

This.  If the author introduces a moral quandary for a character don’t forget you did so three books later.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC