Author Topic: How powerful is Ivy getting?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: How powerful is Ivy getting?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »

So if Ivy gets out of the way and only the Archive acts, it will be careful to extricate itself from situations where she can show her power. But when Ivy acts, she stands up and shows what the Archive can really unleash in terms of direct power, as she did at the aquarium.

That was Luccio's point, how dangerous an emotional vessel can be.  It isn't that Ivy should get out of the way, but more like she is "Spock like" when she uses and wields the Archive.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
That was Luccio's point, how dangerous an emotional vessel can be.  It isn't that Ivy should get out of the way, but more like she is "Spock like" when she uses and wields the Archive.
Ah I missed we had sidestepped the power discussion there. In that case I don't agree with Luccio, but I see the point. 'The Warrior' told me being a hamfisted person trying to do good is better than detachment, at least in this world.

Though I still suspect the sheer amount of data being pumped into the Archive is bound to have an effect. Sure most of it is just noise or repetition, but the flow of information is increasing too.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »
Ah I missed we had sidestepped the power discussion there. In that case I don't agree with Luccio, but I see the point. 'The Warrior' told me being a hamfisted person trying to do good is better than detachment, at least in this world.
True, but conversely an emotional child can do unthinkable damage in the name of payback or revenge if she controls the Archive.. She's got access to mordite for goodness sake.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 06:26:00 AM »
True, but conversely an emotional child can do unthinkable damage in the name of payback or revenge if she controls the Archive.. She's got access to mordite for goodness sake.

Off to the cornfield with you! 

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 06:40:54 AM »
All the talk of computers - all Ivy's knowledge is just a huge disk array. Is her CPU strong enough to access/address it? To process it? She stands to become more powerful as her mind grows stronger, and much of magic is will power.  Her mind was always somewhat disciplined, but she will get better.

Bear in mind her crude force steel satellites are also defensive - no Fishhead is going to try to grab her without having to dodge  a 200mph fire hydrant.  Even Blood on His Soul would think twice about grabbing for her and getting hit by an engine block. He may be able to drain magical fire off - what about all that kinetic energy? Didn't work on the big ice cube!

Also - the Denarians may not want to get her to use her knowledge - they may want her to keep her from DISCLOSING knowledge about THEM. We know the Denarians raided and destroy church records - what if some medieval Knight of the Cross discovered Nik can be choked out by the Noose ? He writes it down, Ivy knows it. Even if Nik got the Knights' hard copy, he didn't get Ivy....  i am sure there is more.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
Assuming her brief is to carry out the Oblivion War to a conclusion, then her active involvement in the battle of Chicago seems to put that at risk. Ivy is mortal and can die. If the reader draws no other conclusion from Murphy's death they should realize that random chance and the fog of war can do what directed action might not accomplish. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time could put Ivy at risk of death.

Laying that aside, Ivy isn't all seeing.  She can be blocked.  This is demonstrated by the fact that she was taken by surprise at the Shedd Aquarium.  She never saw it coming.

Harry's put her at even greater risk by driving a wedge between her and Kincaid. Without his protection she at a greater risk then at any point in the series.

Ivy's strength is having at her beck and call everything that practitioners have learned about magic.  Her magic should be perfect, she knows when to use it and what to do with it when she does.  She should be able to draw the last erg of power that she has available. Her power is limited by the human vessel that is Ivy, but in a fight she won't make mistakes and to beat her her opponents will have to be at least that good.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
Ivy's strength is having at her beck and call everything that practitioners have learned about magic.  Her magic should be perfect, she knows when to use it and what to do with it when she does.  She should be able to draw the last erg of power that she has available. Her power is limited by the human vessel that is Ivy, but in a fight she won't make mistakes and to beat her her opponents will have to be at least that good.

Yes, and it stands to reason that as she matures her use and manipulation of the Archive will get
better and thus she will become stronger.