Author Topic: Molly’s Apartment  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Molly’s Apartment
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
There is never a “lease” mentioned anywhere in the Text.  The Text’s only statement is Molly saying the apartment is “hers” that she “owns” it.  Until otherwise stated that means there is no landlord tenant relationship here.  That the Svartalves actually transferred fee simple ownership to Molly.  Perhaps there is an easement for ingress in cases of emergency but Molly’s apartment isn’t a leasehold until we are told otherwise.

Yes, the apartment is hers, she loaned it to Harry because she didn't need it at the moment and he did.  Notice in the meeting where Harry took back his old place from Marcone, it never was said that Harry couldn't go back to the apartment, only that at that moment wasn't livable because of damage and needed repairs.. So yeah, still belongs to Molly and she can stay there when ever she wants/

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 12:11:15 AM »
Ask Marcone about Dresden and dilipidations.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
Yes, the apartment is hers, she loaned it to Harry because she didn't need it at the moment and he did.  Notice in the meeting where Harry took back his old place from Marcone, it never was said that Harry couldn't go back to the apartment, only that at that moment wasn't livable because of damage and needed repairs.. So yeah, still belongs to Molly and she can stay there when ever she wants/

Thank you.  I’m just perplexed by all the people claiming Molly leased the apartment or that it is a life estate.  There is no is no textual basis for either of those claims.  Until demonstrated otherwise she has fee simple title to the apartment.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 08:50:40 PM »
Thank you.  I’m just perplexed by all the people claiming Molly leased the apartment or that it is a life estate.  There is no is no textual basis for either of those claims.  Until demonstrated otherwise she has fee simple title to the apartment.

The inverse is also true, there is no evidence for a fee simple.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
The inverse is also true, there is no evidence for a fee simple.

Molly says she “owns” the apartment.  That it is “hers”.  That implies more than a lease.  Without any evidence to the contrary that’s fee simple.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
“No,” she said. “This is mine. I bought it from them.” I blinked again. “With what?” “Honor,” she said.

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 122). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Seems pretty straightforward.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear that the Svartelves were mad because:

A) they found the implication that their own security measures were insufficient to be insulting and

B) Dresden's security measures were preventing them from grabbing Maggie as a hostage while they determined whether or not Harry was involved in the Assassination attempt to save her from the fire, and the inconvenience of this disgruntled them.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 03:27:54 PM »
Molly says she “owns” the apartment.  That it is “hers”.  That implies more than a lease.  Without any evidence to the contrary that’s fee simple.

The exact same terminology applies to a leasehold.

The Swartalves were mad because they are controlling, which would suggest they were annoyed that they were being denied a supervening right of access as landlords.

There is simply more circumstantial evidence for Molly having a long leasehold than a freehold. They are creatures of rules and they clearly thought they were in the right. In trying to access the apartment.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 04:01:28 PM »
I thought it was pretty clear that the Svartelves were mad because:

A) they found the implication that their own security measures were insufficient to be insulting and

B) Dresden's security measures were preventing them from grabbing Maggie as a hostage while they determined whether or not Harry was involved in the Assassination attempt to save her from the fire, and the inconvenience of this disgruntled them.

The  Svartelves, once the battle was over, once they knew that Harry had nothing to do with what Thomas had done were no longer mad, at least not at Harry or more importantly Molly.  Why would they be insulted because their security measures fell short?  The fact of the matter is they did fall short, some of their people died and their president was almost assassinated.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 07:03:24 PM »
The exact same terminology applies to a leasehold.

The Swartalves were mad because they are controlling, which would suggest they were annoyed that they were being denied a supervening right of access as landlords.

There is simply more circumstantial evidence for Molly having a long leasehold than a freehold. They are creatures of rules and they clearly thought they were in the right. In trying to access the apartment.

No.  You don’t “own” a leased apartment.  You are “renting” by common parlance.  Molly (particularly pre-WL Molly) would be speaking in common parlance.  If she says she “owns” the apartment.  She means she isn’t “renting” particularly since she says she “owns it… it’s mine”.  That’s not something someone who is renting would say.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
No.  You don’t “own” a leased apartment.  You are “renting” by common parlance.  Molly (particularly pre-WL Molly) would be speaking in common parlance.  If she says she “owns” the apartment.  She means she isn’t “renting” particularly since she says she “owns it… it’s mine”.  That’s not something someone who is renting would say.

Yeah, it could more properly be called a "condo." 

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »
Yeah, it could more properly be called a "condo."

You own a Condo.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
You own a Condo.

Yes, and if they built it for Molly, and seemingly they did because it doesn't have the tech problems that Harry had in his old basement apartment, and gave it to her, it could very well be her condo. However a condo is a flat or apartment as well if one is talking space, not lease, rental, or property contract.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 01:11:54 PM »
Yes, and if they built it for Molly, and seemingly they did because it doesn't have the tech problems that Harry had in his old basement apartment, and gave it to her, it could very well be her condo. However a condo is a flat or apartment as well if one is talking space, not lease, rental, or property contract.

Sure.  But being a condo doesn’t preclude “fee simple” ownership. 

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »
Actually, I think Harry could have gone back to the apartment, but now it was awkward that he
so so after what Thomas did.  However Harry didn't want to go back he wanted his old address back, and they backed him by twisted the truth a little.  I think any time she wants it, Molly can go back and live in the apartment.

Maybe they did not twist it at all - if this is an embassy, it is considered foreign soil. She can still own it - but if Harry is banned from Svartalf soil, he cannot cross embassy land to get TO the apartment. So, if a Way to it is blocked... Harry can't get there.