Author Topic: Why was Ferrovax in GP  (Read 3655 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why was Ferrovax in GP
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »
During a recent re-read of GP, it struck me as odd that Ferrovax in at Bianca's party. Ferrovax is a god level being with great power and authority. So why was he invited to and accept an invitation to a medium (or low) powered member of the Red Court? From my POV, the only reason why Ferrovax was at the party was so Harry could meet him. Was this just a plot point that Jim planned out 10+ books in advance, or did Jim just want a dragon in his books? Any other ideas yall have?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Ferrovax in GP
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
I suppose some rationale could be created to make Ferrovax's invitation and acceptance to attend Bianca's party make sense, but I think it was mostly continued world building on Jim's part.  Letting us know that dragons existed; beyond Harry telling Susan about one Michael had fought, that they could change their outward appearance, that they are extremely powerful, and hinting we might see more of them in the future.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »
Well he wanted us to know of Ferrovax.  But I don't think it was a "low level" member of the Red Court.  Apparently it was supposed to be a big deal for her promotion.  Leah was also there and she was a representative of Mab. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »
Well he wanted us to know of Ferrovax.  But I don't think it was a "low level" member of the Red Court.  Apparently it was supposed to be a big deal for her promotion.  Leah was also there and she was a representative of Mab.

There's also the sheer casualness with which he put down Harry which was something we hadn't seen yet. Jim was telling Harry and Us how outclassed he can be when he goes in Wit Blasting.

Personally Ferrovax's introduction was part of what drew me into the series. It was one of the first true indications of how big and strange the Dresden Files would become.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 08:42:14 PM »

Bianca was doing a lot of kissing up at that party, unaware that she was merely a cat's paw for a greater power.  My guess is Ferrovax was rubbing elbows with other guests at the party, the likes of Mavra, Cowl, even Lea, for the future, and if he got a little gold as a gift from Bianca, that was just the icing as they say..

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 11:54:49 PM »
It could also be that he had some hunch about how important the events at that party would be for the world.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:58 AM »
Introduction of a character. As well as Bianca is inviting from the biggest and baddest to show how awesome she is....

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »

Bianca was doing a lot of kissing up at that party, unaware that she was merely a cat's paw for a greater power.  My guess is Ferrovax was rubbing elbows with other guests at the party, the likes of Mavra, Cowl, even Lea, for the future, and if he got a little gold as a gift from Bianca, that was just the icing as they say..

I think you've got it. I doubt Bianca had any idea just how important her party would be--sort of a fulcrum for all kinds of powers.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 03:33:23 PM »
I doubt Bianca had any idea just how important her party would be--sort of a fulcrum for all kinds of powers.

I thought the party was a setup so that the red court could start the war?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
That too. But it was also about Lea and the athame.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 05:27:14 PM »
Ferrovax also defined Michael. And Michael is a big enough role that a throwaway bit about a scary visitor seems good enough.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 09:58:35 PM »
The guest list included key representatives of the major vampire factions AND key representatives of the many of the major supernatural factions. 

Mara and Ferrovax were probably too senior, but then again their factions have very small numbers.   So it is not that unusual.   Everyone else sent a representative which is probably normal business.   Given so many powerful factions were here, each representative had to be fairly senior.   From an "optics" standpoint, the attendee list mostly made sense. 

Of course, the political intrigue behind the scenes determined much.   Mara was already training Bianca and actively plotting with her.  Dresden was there as it was a trap.  Thomas as an assassination attempt by his father and Lea for many reasons (Harry, Thomas, Politics, etc). 

The real question is why no rep from summer?   Or Jade Vamps?  Or a warden from the White Council?  Those all seem suspicious oversights although Jade vamps are probably explainable due to simple isolationist tendencies.     The explanation is probably some variation of deliberate choice and/or misdirection.   For example, I suspect the warden that would probably have attended was "distracted" by the black council agents. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 01:37:59 AM »
Harry was there to represent the White Council because he was the local membership.

I'll admit that it's odd for Summer not to have a representative, considering the other factions are all present, but maybe Harry just didn't see them (not like they'd want to chat with Lea's godchild anyway).

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 02:16:50 AM »
Ya, I was thinking the same thing; I think it was said somewhere that Eldest Gruff is the opposite of Lea, so it would have been him if someone was there (probably).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 09:05:10 AM »
Harry was there to represent the White Council because he was the local membership.

I'll admit that it's odd for Summer not to have a representative, considering the other factions are all present, but maybe Harry just didn't see them (not like they'd want to chat with Lea's godchild anyway).
Or did not recognize them for what they were.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]