Author Topic: Harry's New Training Coach  (Read 2034 times)

Offline xman146

• Participant
    • View Profile
Harry's New Training Coach
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:40:11 AM »
This is some fun theorizing.

So I know the books have basically set it up where River Shoulders is probably going to start training Dresden, but an idea occurred to me that I wonder if Harry could do.

Could he ask Uriel to train him in magic to counter the training Marcone got? Uriel can only act to balance the scales to what the Denarians have done...well, one of them has trained someone in the magical arts. Seems only fair, if the human is willing, that Uriel can act in the same fashion, no?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's New Training Coach
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
The counterbalance for the Denarians is the three swords, Uriel only gets to step in as a counterweight when the other side breaks the rules.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »
Uriel already countered Lucifer.

I think an angel of Anduriel's rank would be a more appropriate teacher in that scenario. But I don't think that will happen as that doesn't seem to be how the angel's of Heaven operate. I think the last time they tried to give mankind knowledge it didn't turn out so well (but I am not sure if that happened in the series or not).
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »

The Sword of Love is waiting in the wings.  If Namshiel needs to be countered to save his family or mankind, Harry may wield it himself.  So wizard, plus Holy Sword would be a match for him.. Or by that time Maggie would be grown.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »
Harry got 3 more of the Arma Christi than the bad guys. Seems the Fallen are already kinda countered.

And when facing a Titan, Harry held onto his love to beat her. So he's kind of a Knight of Love already. Even if he's a bit more on the gray side.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »
Harry got 3 more of the Arma Christi than the bad guys. Seems the Fallen are already kinda countered.

And when facing a Titan, Harry held onto his love to beat her. So he's kind of a Knight of Love already. Even if he's a bit more on the gray side.
Yeah, but even for him, a star born wizard, a magical duel with a Fallen Angel will be a challenge.. When the time comes, he might find that yeah, he is a Holy Knight and he needs the Sword to defeat Marcone/Namshiel...  I think that's what being set up, Harry has the Sword of Love in reserve, Marcone taking up Namshiel's coin, it's going to happen... Unless of course, Harry manages to change over time Namshiel's nature, or that of Marcone for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:51:11 PM by Mira »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 11:02:18 PM »

I agree, to a point. I don't think it's ever a straight up balance. Who knows what the Fallen have? But then again it isn't like the War in Heaven was balance, Lucifer only took a third (and not necessarily the greatest third) of the Host. And the Host also had TWG. So the Fallen are ever at a pretty big disadvantage in that sense. But perhaps they are more flexible. Vietnam held out against the US because they were better at guerrilla warfare, amongst other things.

Also, to the OP - Harry's next teacher is almost certainly River Shoulders. And if he has a final teacher, it will be Vadderung. River Shoulders has offered (it was meant to be Listens-to-Wind but Jim seems to be abandoning that idea, River Shoulders taught LtW so it seems redundant to have LtW involved). Vadderung taught the original Merlin (Emrys) himself, and as Harry does seem to be following a similar road I wouldn't be surprised if Vadderung got involved.   

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 11:24:30 PM »
You're forgetting somebody. Why doesn't Harry get taught by Odin himself. Since Odin taught the Merlin why can't he teach Harry.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54:47 AM »
You're forgetting somebody. Why doesn't Harry get taught by Odin himself. Since Odin taught the Merlin why can't he teach Harry.
No I agree, I was saying that Vadderung/Odin will probably be the teacher after River Shoulders. I think Jim said that Harry will learn from River Shoulders in the next book which is why I think he will be Harry's first teacher. I think Vadderung/Odin will teach Harry the really big stuff right at the end - like how Merlin created Demonreach.