Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 56423 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2020, 10:39:08 PM »
So I take it that you think this is about sex?

Not anything close to what I said or feel

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
OK.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2020, 06:03:11 AM »
@morriswalters, I did not say that Marci and Andi would need protecting by Butters, and I did not mention any rescue. Just the chance that they could died and how glad I am that was not the case. That said, Harry has been fighting longer than them and he needed Butters' protections, so...battles are not ordered, neat and tidy things, were the one with more power and experience wins, or where fights are one on one (unless it's a battle royale  :D).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »
OK, my mistake. I seem to stuck in a causal loop about Butters.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2020, 03:30:51 AM »
Or possibly the fact that with the Spear on him, he was unbeatable?
He didn't have the spear.

Star Wars
(click to show/hide)
I care. I've enjoyed everyone's remembrances of SW. Me and my siblings first saw the original trilogy when my uncle gave my brother vhs copies of the trilogy, that he pirated from the video rental place he worked at, for Christmas.

Wasn't it insinuated that the girls were already in a relationship from their first introduction?
Maybe, but it was explicitly stated at some point. Because of that, and Butters' statement that he didn't know how it happened, makes me think it's going to blow up in his face. If it doesn't, I'm in the nerd wish fulfillment camp.

Esperacchius was in his hand, glowing and all, but it wasn't the swords work.
Amoracchius.

Jim is trying to break the knights free from roman catholicism here.
The technical Baptist and atheist in the second book with KotC wasn't enough? What about when he added a Jewish Knight?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2020, 04:31:25 AM »
He didn't have the spear.

Yes, he did..   After the Titan was gone, Harry was sitting down exhausted, when Marcone told him to take the Eye for safe keeping. page 346

Maybe today.  Right here.  It was a good time for him.  I was exhausted after the binding, and he had to know it. If he acted, he could eliminate me and gain the Spear of Destiny and the Eye of Balor, all in one evening.

But Marcone didn't even try.. Why? 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:59 AM »
Yes, he did..   After the Titan was gone, Harry was sitting down exhausted, when Marcone told him to take the Eye for safe keeping. page 346

But Marcone didn't even try.. Why?
Mab most likely. She is not there to protect him from his own stupidity but an act like that would be something else. She wouldn’t be able to ignore it even if she wanted to.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2020, 05:30:30 AM »
Also he probably didn't have anything to deal with Harry's death curse at the time.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
I would have to re-read it to be sure. But we know that Harry is utterly exhausted. But just how sure could Marcone be that he was? How exhausted was Marcone from being in (most likely) his first all out magical fight ever?

If he had done it, what would have happened? I cant imagine that Marcone could hold on to the eye and the spear and keep pretending to be a normal mortal, which is a very important defence for him. As long as no-one knows he has the coin anyone who takes a shot at him thinking he is a normal mortal is allmost guranteed to fail. Right now when his entire organisaiton has been beaten into pulp and he has to build it all up again is not the right time to hold a price everyone wants and declare himself as supernatural to the rest of the world.

Also, as someone said, Mab would make sure that one accorded nation who attacked another one so obviouly during the defence (most likely violating the accords) would not be in a nice place in the long run. Marcone saw first had what happened to Nic.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
Also he probably didn't have anything to deal with Harry's death curse at the time.
I know Harry says it, but ow do you think Marcone would manage to kill Harry? He is a Denarian, right, but just coming from a "death", having thrown magic around, running, I think he is exhausted too. And if he reach the Eye he cannot use it. He could perhaps make a try for the Spear, but as I said, if Harry had an ounce of willpower in him (and Harry is not to be underestimated in that sense) he could throw the Spear to him. We don't really know how a Spear attack against a Denarian would work, but I don't think they wanted to take the risk.
Also my unproven theory, I think Marcone himself did not want to risk to have the Eye. I believe that he thinks he is able to subdue the Fallen for ever, but he is no fool. I don't think he wants to risk a chance of the Eye being in power of a Fallen.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »
Eh, I don't think Marcone will actually turn into a bad-bad guy, but rather stay a good-bad guy, as he has for the entire series. Yep, he has a Denarian coin now, but somehow, just by Thorned Namshiel calling Ethniu "Darling", I got the impression that either Marcone got the better of the Denarian somehow or that Thorned Namshiel is one of the more reasonable ones and that they both got an equitable deal. Just my instinctive impression, I could well be totally wrong here.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2020, 08:46:10 AM »
Or maybe Namshiel was just not that interested in the eye. He wants Marcone dependent on him and not on something else. His goal is to corrupt Marcone and as many people as he can manage. Maybe to corrupt Harry, that is a price.

The brimstone smelled when Harry tried to kill Rudolph could have been Namshiel whipping up Harry emotionally even more from behind a veil.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
Eh, I don't think Marcone will actually turn into a bad-bad guy, but rather stay a good-bad guy, as he has for the entire series. Yep, he has a Denarian coin now, but somehow, just by Thorned Namshiel calling Ethniu "Darling", I got the impression that either Marcone got the better of the Denarian somehow or that Thorned Namshiel is one of the more reasonable ones and that they both got an equitable deal. Just my instinctive impression, I could well be totally wrong here.
He'll probably get darker to keep on mirroring Harry but not go full villain unless Harry does too.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
I know Harry says it, but ow do you think Marcone would manage to kill Harry? He is a Denarian, right, but just coming from a "death", having thrown magic around, running, I think he is exhausted too. And if he reach the Eye he cannot use it. He could perhaps make a try for the Spear, but as I said, if Harry had an ounce of willpower in him (and Harry is not to be underestimated in that sense) he could throw the Spear to him. We don't really know how a Spear attack against a Denarian would work, but I don't think they wanted to take the risk.
Also my unproven theory, I think Marcone himself did not want to risk to have the Eye. I believe that he thinks he is able to subdue the Fallen for ever, but he is no fool. I don't think he wants to risk a chance of the Eye being in power of a Fallen.

Marcone might not, but Namsheil would understand everything about the Spear and the holder of the Spear, more than Harry does at this point.  If the mythology about the Spear is true, the Spear isn't something you can just make a grab for if someone is holding it.  Harry just proved he had the will necessary to wield it, Namsheil wasn't going to risk losing this host and end up in a vault once again by testing how vulnerable Harry was.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
This book pretty much killed the series for me and serves as an end.
Yeah, this. mostly because of character action causing me to lose interest/respect in them.

- Murph dies, removing her form the series. Annoying, but - becoming a valkyrie undermines both her shown religious beliefs and her refusal to sign on to any of the powers to be healed.

- Dresden threatens One Eye 2nd hand if he mistreats Murph...after failing to avenge her while on the spot. Blow hard.
- Gard fails to call him out on this.
- twerp who murdered Murph justified it by calling her a terrorist, so no doubt will be promoted, not punished, given the mortal decision to call the trashing of Chicago a terrorist attack.
- sword that broke rather than let Murph try and save Harry, is happy to kill Harry rather than let him avenge Murph.
- sword wielders would rather 11 million innocents die that permit the punishment of 1 murderer.

That's *one* plot....

Marcone was interesting because he was the vanilla mortal who could stand equal with supernaturals. Now he's just another coppertop.

Thomas, the schemer, just buckles to blackmail. Not, for example, waltzing in and saying "hey, I'm being blackmailed to murder you, what say you pretend to be murdered and throw me in a cell" or something similar. Justine's now full villain - when the smart thing to do, given she would probably die from child birth, would have Alfred toss her into the same cell as Thomas so that the kid can't kill her. (So finding out about Nemesis *after* already locking Nemesis up).

Molly goes cackling witch.

Ramirez goes whinny teenager.

Ebenezer's response to "Oh, I didn't kill you in a fit of fury?" is indifference.

The most significant character I still care about is Mouse. My biggest question at the end of the book was "where's Mister?" (With the Carpenters, apparently. Who I stopped caring about due to the worthlessness of the entire order).
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.