Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 56673 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2020, 07:35:35 AM »
I think it lying was so out of character for svartalves it would have red flagged Harry and also Mab and Molly who, I guess, know the details of what happened.
Mab has excellent relations with the svartalves. They might just have followed her lead.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2020, 07:39:56 AM »
The only way that what Thomas did makes any sense was, as someone else said, if Nemesis hit him really fast and gave him no time to think his way out.  No time to contact Harry.

I just can't imagine what Nemesis said to him to set that up.  Hopefully at some point that will be explained in more detail.
Thomas might not have known it was Nemesis. If it was just a normal demon Thomas might have thought it could negotiate with it.

By offering energy to the the mother a demon could actually save both mother and child. I think Thomas alluded to that in the first chapter. He was working on it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
Mab has excellent relations with the svartalves. They might just have followed her lead.

Precisely, if lying for political reasons was fine, all is fine. But if it was so out of character for a supernatural being that only something like Nemesis could cause it, those knowing the truth would have realized something was wrong.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
Also, how exactly Etri's sister lied? I cannot remember now.

The only way that what Thomas did makes any sense was, as someone else said, if Nemesis hit him really fast and gave him no time to think his way out.  No time to contact Harry.
I just can't imagine what Nemesis said to him to set that up.  Hopefully at some point that will be explained in more detail.

Yeah, better there be good explanation. Nemesis does not seems to have some ultra power stuff, so it would be hard to control Thomas.

Thomas might not have known it was Nemesis. If it was just a normal demon Thomas might have thought it could negotiate with it.

By offering energy to the the mother a demon could actually save both mother and child. I think Thomas alluded to that in the first chapter. He was working on it.

Dear Lord, that would make it even more stupid.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
I think it lying was so out of character for svartalves it would have red flagged Harry and also Mab and Molly who, I guess, know the details of what happened.
the only one of those who would know if the apartment was damaged would be Molly actually. I think it was damaged... But not so much so that it's actually unlivable.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2020, 08:01:22 AM »
The actual quote is this:
I pointed at Evanna.
Everyone looked at her
"There was...damage to that apartment during that attack" she politely lied. "No replacement apartment is available at this time. As such, he may no longer be our guest."

Note that Harry is the one saying that she is lying. And I am pretty sure if Harry knows, Mab knows.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2020, 08:23:49 AM »
Note that Harry is the one saying that she is lying. And I am pretty sure if Harry knows, Mab knows.
Harry's the one prompting the lie. Man's not dumb, but she doesn't just KNOW what Harry's knows.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
It is a lie according to my definition of lying, knowingly trying to communicate a falsehood. It was not a lie in Mab’s definition of the word.

She does not say the apartment was damaged because of the attack or even during the attack. She never said when exactly the apartment was damaged or how damaged it was. A broken doorknob a week before peace talks would have been enough if it was not yet repaired.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
She exactly said "during that attack". And it is Harry who called it a lie, not me. Besides, she talks about "no replacement",implying that it is too damaged.
Also, The_Sibelis yes, that is my point. Harry know is a lie. If he thought Evanna couldn't lie he wouldn't have said it so easily. Imagine the same scene, Harry points a Mab, Mab says something and the inner dialogue says "Mab politely lie". Wouldn't all of us scream?. As that is not what happened here, it is clear than Evanna lying was nothing that shakes the core of the galaxy.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
She exactly said "during that attack". And it is Harry who called it a lie, not me. Besides, she talks about "no replacement",implying that it is too damaged.
Also, The_Sibelis yes, that is my point. Harry know is a lie. If he thought Evanna couldn't lie he wouldn't have said it so easily. Imagine the same scene, Harry points a Mab, Mab says something and the inner dialogue says "Mab politely lie". Wouldn't all of us scream?. As that is not what happened here, it is clear than Evanna lying was nothing that shakes the core of the galaxy.
Indeed the apartment was in a damaged state when the attack happened.

Her sentence is not a prepared one. She was looking for words while it happened. It is quite possible she can lie, she is not a Sidhe after all, but she might not want to lie in the Sidhe interpretation of the word because of all the people there, just for the same reason Harry kept to the literal truth.

Her sentence can be interpreted in more than one way.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 09:16:51 AM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
Indeed the apartment was in a damaged state when the attack happened.

Her sentence is not a prepared one. She was looking for words while it happened. It is quite possible she can lie, she is not a Sidhe after all, but she might not want to lie in the Sidhe interpretation of the word because of all the people there, just for the same reason Harry kept to the literal truth.

Her sentence can be interpreted in more than one way.
yes, that. Well said.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »

However what she was saying was also technically the truth, Harry could no longer stay there, she just didn't elaborate on as to why.

Offline Wondering Wanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
I'm with StrayDog about the whole feel of the last 2 books.  The Star Wars idea breaks me out of the DF mode every time.  I used to like Butters but not so much any more.  Does he still have a job at the morgue?  And it really rankles that when Harry can't manage to say 2 complete words about Murph during the Graceland coffin scene, Butters steps in to handle it for him.  We don't even hear the words, just Harry thinking about how much Butters is seen as a hero.  Why not Michael or one of the alphas or someone from the Paranet?  No, it's another opportunity to put the newest Knight front and center, the one so new his Sword came with "training wheels" so he can't hurt the wrong person/thing/monster accidently because he didn't have the skills yet to identify friend from foe in the heat of battle. . .

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »
Michael does not know Murphy too much. And even when the Alphas o paranetters do, Butters have been working alongside Murphy all the time that Harry was dead. He was her friend too, and a very good one. And he was there, in the last minute, trying to save her life.  And saving the soul of the man she loved. So I can't see no one (but Harry) who deserved it more than him. And Harry, who wouldn't have been there without Butters, was unable to speak.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
Michael does not know Murphy too much. And even when the Alphas o paranetters do, Butters have been working alongside Murphy all the time that Harry was dead. He was her friend too, and a very good one. And he was there, in the last minute, trying to save her life.  And saving the soul of the man she loved. So I can't see no one (but Harry) who deserved it more than him. And Harry, who wouldn't have been there without Butters, was unable to speak.

Exactly.  Also I think Harry tried to say something, but the words wouldn't come.  When you are suffering that kind of grief, they don't usually.  Butters is also a caring doctor, and most likely knew Murphy before Harry did, as part of his work for the county.  Butters may have gotten more in physical shape these days, but he has always been brave and heroic, back when he wouldn't lie about some of the bodies he examined in the morgue.  He also has a cause he believes in and a weapon he has faith in, that is what it is about, faith.  And yeah, the added asset of being a nerd, doesn't hurt to be able to think your way out of things either.