Author Topic: Does The Sight work through binoculars?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Does The Sight work through binoculars?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 02:50:50 AM »
While I can see why The Sight wouldn't work through them binoculars are such simple devices that hexing them seems almost as silly as Harry hexing his staff by using it as a focus.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 02:57:38 AM »
Does The Sight work through binoculars glasses(spectacles)/contact lens/magnifying glass/window/fog/mist/clear water?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »
Does The Sight work through binoculars glasses(spectacles)/contact lens/magnifying glass/window/fog/mist/clear water?

Points to this poster.  I'm almost convinced otherwise now. 

As for hexing things, I'm sort of a jerk about magic mixing with non magical things.  Take it with a grain; or more likely a bag of salt.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:42 AM »
The Sight works just fine, but the binoculars don't help.

Because The Sight actually has nothing to do with sight, or with the science of optics.

The above is purely my opinion.

Offline Valos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
It will not work. Sight would not show you the binoculars in 1st place or at tops would show the true nature of the binoculars - last book has exelent example of this when harry - well i leave the spoiler out.

From last book I presume that sight only shows you sources of energy -> living beings, souls, ghost, laylines, magic (life!) etc and would dim out (outlines mayby? or nothing at all) on mundane objects like rocks, cars, walls.

Mayby if magical object would be made to do this? but consider this, you take a peek of military base from afar and see 40 souls at 1 time? I say it screams for sensory overflow big time.

-V-

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:41 AM »
I'm sure it will work. Using the Sight includes opening your "Third Eye", which is located on your forehead. Would be funny glasses to cover your third eye... :D

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
Sure. Except the Magnifying Glass doesn't make anything bigger.

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:43 AM »
The Sight canonically is not a literally visual sense (at least not purely so) and works even in the dark, with eyes closed, and probably while blind. Optical devices wouldn't affect it much, if at all.

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »

I'd say that if the character thinks they can see, then they can see.  This is magic, belief MATTERS.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]