Author Topic: Does The Sight work through binoculars?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Does The Sight work through binoculars?
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
I see this being relevant in my next session.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Does The Sight work through binoculars?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Debatable.  I'd tend to rule not - though you'd get a very good view of the true nature of those binoculars!

But I can also see this getting ruled the other way, too.  Consider also mirrors.

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
I'm going to say "no".  They're not looking with "their eyes & light" at that point, but with their spirit or magical senses, or what have you.

GS Spoiler
(click to show/hide)
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
Coming from shadowrun, I'd say everything involving actual optics is ok, technical image enhancement is not. But mstorer3772 makes a good point, they are not looking in the sense a shadowrun mage would look, they sense something with a sense that the human brain is not evolved to interpret and most wizards experience it as another kind of vision, but others interpret it as sound, odors, maybe some even feel it on their skin.

The wizard could however do a navel-gazing maneuver using discipline to focus his sight on something specific, so he could tag that for a better view, if need be.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
no.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
My inclination is to also say no. Binoculars work by focusing light. The sight is very clearly not light based as when used it often ignores darkness and light.

Offline razorsmile

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • red like smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
I think the first response got it right: the wizard would get a really good look at those binoculars.
They rose amid the crag as lightning blasted the mountains black against the sky and lashed blue fire over their saddles and along the guns.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
I would also say no. Binoculars work by bending light around so things appear bigger when you look at them. This wouldn't help if you are viewing the hidden reality underneath the light.
 That said if your wizard has prep time you might consider letting him make a one shot(potion rules) binocular effect that would allow the sight from a distance.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
If it works for the narrative, sure.

Otherwise, I'd say no.  Simply for the reason technology and magic aren't supposed to work together. (WWII age or not)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
I would also say no. Binoculars work by bending light around so things appear bigger when you look at them. This wouldn't help if you are viewing the hidden reality underneath the light.
 That said if your wizard has prep time you might consider letting him make a one shot(potion rules) binocular effect that would allow the sight from a distance.

Yeah, it seems better for the plot here if they don't.  There's lots they're going to be able to learn just by regularly looking through them, but making them have to sneak up to Tessa's penthouse apartment to actually get an idea about the ward strength and whatnot seems more fun.

Offline razorsmile

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • red like smoke
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
Otherwise, I'd say no.  Simply for the reason technology and magic aren't supposed to work together. (WWII age or not)

Given that we're talking about  binoculars, I must disagree. They're not exactly the most cutting-edge pieces of kit in the universe. A GM following that logic would have disallowed Harry and Butters using a warding circle to keep a GPS device usable.
They rose amid the crag as lightning blasted the mountains black against the sky and lashed blue fire over their saddles and along the guns.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
Given that we're talking about  binoculars, I must disagree. They're not exactly the most cutting-edge pieces of kit in the universe. A GM following that logic would have disallowed Harry and Butters using a warding circle to keep a GPS device usable.
And you'd have to ignore the fact that binoculars were invented in the 1800's...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »
I see this being relevant in my next session.
I'm tempted to treat Sight like vision in the IR spectrum and say "no"...but invoking the use of binoculars when defending against Sight or to make it more difficult to close your Sight is just as tempting.   ;)  The second is probably what I'd go with...it works but may be less effective and / or more dangerous in some situations. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 02:38:00 AM »
And you'd have to ignore the fact that binoculars were invented in the 1800's...

Sure, but using them as an avenue for a spell should hex them.  It'd be like using a car to shoot fireballs.  (Even a model-T)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 02:39:09 AM »

Not quite the same.  harry didn't try to use the GPS in place of his crystal to enhance a tracking spell.

I'll concede the point that there are work arounds, but it feels different in this case.