Author Topic: Seventh Law Question  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Seventh Law Question
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Do note that 7th Law stuff are the worse things out there because they are so easy to violate. For example, merely knowing of the existence and/or name of an Old One means said Old One is a little bit closer to our world. So, if someone prints a "fantasy" book with that name and info, and people read it as fantasy or even read it by accident / without knowing what's inside, the Old One still gets a bonus.

As for a direct 7th Law violation, merely seeking such knowledge (knowingly or otherwise, successfully or otherwise, willingly or coerced) would result in a violation.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
My personal standards for the seventh law:
 1. The White Council (and probably a few other powers) fear outsiders enough to overreact.  They'll go after anyone they think is even beginning to violate it.  Probably even individuals not normally under their sway.
 2. The Lawbreaker stunt/power itself is applied when knowledge gets to the point where it begins corrupting the individual. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
You can do it like this: "You start translating the old text, and it is pretty clear it is talking about something from beyond the outer gates. Knowledge like that is dangerous and might twist your mind. It will get you killed by the wardens, if they find out. Do you want to continue?"
That way, the lawbreaker stunt is a deliberate choice again, and it will fit the character. Otherwise it would just be 2 points of dead refresh.

This is exctly what I had planned to do
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together