Linked Events

• Signing in New York, NY: August 02, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2  (Read 37572 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, I'd make sure to get clarification of the rules at the store when you pick up the pass. 

FWIW if I do try to get a pass in the AM (if work permits), I am planning to see if getting a copy "Wise Man's Fear" will suffice.  If not, I get a second copy of Ghost Story.

For guaranteed seating, you need to purchase Ghost Story at that store the day of the signing.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
For guaranteed seating, you need to purchase Ghost Story at that store the day of the signing.

I am well aware that this is their stated policy, and am willing to do that if necessary. 

However, I still plan on showing up in the AM (work permitting) with my previously purchased Ghost Story in hand and seeing if one of the nice people at the store will let me have a pass (i.e. a guaranteed seat), if I offer to buy something equivalent.  It may not work, but for $30, I feel it's worth a shot. 

Consider also that if I'm buying a second copy, they run a risk of me returning one of the copies the next day.  This way, everyone is happy.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
I am well aware that this is their stated policy, and am willing to do that if necessary. 

However, I still plan on showing up in the AM (work permitting) with my previously purchased Ghost Story in hand and seeing if one of the nice people at the store will let me have a pass (i.e. a guaranteed seat), if I offer to buy something equivalent.  It may not work, but for $30, I feel it's worth a shot. 

Consider also that if I'm buying a second copy, they run a risk of me returning one of the copies the next day.  This way, everyone is happy.

Makes sense to me!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »
Woohoo, today's the day!

Offline IIIMarconeIII

• Conversationalist
  • The Answer is ...42
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Book check, wristband check, and now the wait
I sometimes wonder if the manufactures of foolproof items keep a fool on their payroll to test things.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

Ever type with no "a" key on a keyboard...it sucks trust me

[URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.h

Offline beadl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
Sitting in B&N next to a group wearing purple wristbands, playing an RPG, and carrying a staff..... Dresden fans?????
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
 :'(

Looks like I won't be able to make it....  Family emergency.

UGH!!!
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Shiningowl39

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Grabbed my pass this morning, hit up a museum or two, now I'm back to sitting in the cafe waiting for the signing to start. I should probably get up and find out where the signing will be held I suppose.
This has been transcribed by a kind and loyal brownie in exchange for honey and milk so that "the infernal machine stops throwing sparks at me..." And only blows up once a year.

Offline Rarch

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:49 AM »
 ;D Just want to say thanks for making this completely awesome.

Offline jemjem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
It was a lot of fun! Great seeing fellow Dresden fans there!

"Think you're cute, huh?"
"I'm freaking adorable. Especially with the raccoon face I've got going on here."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Okay, all you forumites who were there last night? I'm SO sorry - I intended to stand up and ask you to introduce yourselves before the show started. My head got lost in the Jimstories we were trading. LOL!

But now I'd like to try to make up somewhat for that FAIL. Who was who? I'll start - I was the Tolkienesque dwarf who stood up and got everyone's attention so Priscellie could video everyone sending homebound Esperacchius get-well wishes.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
I don't need to describe myself, Shecky knows who I am.  ;D But for everyone else, red hair with a gray cloak.  I'll try to get my pics uploaded when I get home today, and Rob got video, and I believe he was going to upload it for Pris to put online. Or something like that.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shiningowl39

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
It was great seeing everyone there, and having people to talk about the Dresden Files with. Priscilla was just as nice and sweet as she is online, and even kind enough to sign my copy of First Lords Fury with Jim. I can't wait to see her next update of her Molly costume! Shecky was full of interesting stories, from the cons and otherwise. I'm just sorry I couldn't attend any gathering of fans that was going on after the signing, but I had to grab my train to head home. Next time!

This has been transcribed by a kind and loyal brownie in exchange for honey and milk so that "the infernal machine stops throwing sparks at me..." And only blows up once a year.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
FWIW, folks who didn't make it, you missed a special treat. In Jemjem's second picture, note the SECOND signature on that page - that's right, Chris McGrath, an incredible artist and a stand-up guy, was there signing as well! If you can get past the company-decision hat on the DF covers, you can see just how excellent his artwork is - and if you go to any bookstore and take a look at the urban fantasy novels, most of the covers you see are done by him as well! Go check out his gallery at http://christianmcgrath.com/ ; at dinner, he gave us a sneak peek at his cover for Seanan McGuire's One Salt Sea (from Seanan's October Daye novels, another well-crafted, good-reading modern fantasy series as well), and I was impressed yet again.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
FWIW, folks who didn't make it, you missed a special treat. In Jemjem's second picture, note the SECOND signature on that page - that's right, Chris McGrath, an incredible artist and a stand-up guy, was there signing as well! If you can get past the company-decision hat on the DF covers, you can see just how excellent his artwork is - and if you go to any bookstore and take a look at the urban fantasy novels, most of the covers you see are done by him as well! Go check out his gallery at http://christianmcgrath.com/ ; at dinner, he gave us a sneak peek at his cover for Seanan McGuire's One Salt Sea (from Seanan's October Daye novels, another well-crafted, good-reading modern fantasy series as well), and I was impressed yet again.
Also, if you want to see what Harry might look somewhat like hatless, Chris used the same model when he did the cover of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn novella. Magic of Alloy, or something like that. I forget the exact title.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury