Linked Events

• Signing in New York, NY: August 02, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2  (Read 37993 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
Wow, 10 AM? Not conducive to keeping my job. :D
Yeah, the earliest we'll get there won't be til around maybe 3, unless we manage to get on an earlier train-not likely. We were gonna buy the books there, but I think now we're just going to get them here.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »
Yeah, the earliest we'll get there won't be til around maybe 3, unless we manage to get on an earlier train-not likely. We were gonna buy the books there, but I think now we're just going to get them here.

Unless I do work over the weekend, I don't think I'll be there much earlier than you. This is discrimination against people who have jobs! :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
Wow, 10 AM? Not conducive to keeping my job. :D

Sent you an email!

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
From Jim's publicist, the Final Story:

The first 200 customers to buy GHOST STORY at the store get guaranteed seating, all others are standing room. Passes handed out at 10am.

A little confused:

Does that mean that even though I bought the book at B&N I still need to be at Tribeca at 10:00am to pick up a pass (i.e. buy a second copy)?  Can I pick up a pass, leave, then come back at 5:00pm for the signing?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:05:34 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
A little confused:

Does that mean that even though I bought the book at B&N I still need to be at Tribeca at 10:00am to pick up a pass (i.e. buy a second copy)?  Can I pick up a pass, leave, then come back at 5:00pm for the signing?

Unfortunately, this location is not honoring purchases made at other B&N locations or on different days.  You will need to buy a second copy.  Yes, we recognize this sucks.

My understanding of the situation is that yes, you can pick up a pass at 10, leave, and return at 5 to get a seat for the signing.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
Holy crap is B&N making this so much more difficult than it needs to be.  I really miss Borders.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
I suppose that putting up a ward that would selectively scare non-forum members away is against the Fourth Law?  It doesn't really matter.  The thaumaturgey involved would probably be beyond my current capabilities.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
Holy crap is B&N making this so much more difficult than it needs to be.  I really miss Borders.

Yep, Borders was the best. But since i havent bought the book yet (read it on my friend's kindle) This is the perfect opportunity to buy it and go to my first book signing.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Sirscooter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 01:27:14 AM »
Is there a limit on how many things can be signed ? Looks like I will have to return my book and buy it again.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 01:52:47 AM »
Is there a limit on how many things can be signed ? Looks like I will have to return my book and buy it again.

Jim will generally sign three things per person.  If you have more than that, you can go to the back of the line and go through again.

Offline Sirscooter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »
Guess I'm going to have the go see Jim again when he comes back around to the NYC area.

Offline beadl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
Any guesses as to when we should start to line up after getting our passes in the am???...nevermind...just reread previous posts...lol

anyone getting together beforehand??
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:12:26 PM by beadl »

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
If you actually get a pass in the am, I would assume that this guarantees you a seat (otherwise, shelling out $30 seems a little excessive).  Thus I don't think you'd need to be there much earlier than the start time.

For myself, I plan on leaving work around 4:30.
DV Geek code:

Offline beadl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
Thanks Knnn!!!

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, I'd make sure to get clarification of the rules at the store when you pick up the pass. 

FWIW if I do try to get a pass in the AM (if work permits), I am planning to see if getting a copy "Wise Man's Fear" will suffice.  If not, I get a second copy of Ghost Story.
DV Geek code: