Author Topic: Non-Standard Settings?  (Read 10063 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Non-Standard Settings?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 03:10:28 AM »
Currently modding the system for my maritime high fantasy campaign setting (spent 3 years trying to execute it in d20 and got nothing but headaches; two months of working it into FATE and the subsequent progress makes me think it'll be ready for the fall semester)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
I just had a discussion  on another board about writting up a genre conversion for Amber into Fate... and I think it would run very smoothly.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:26 PM »
A friend of mine is just starting to use FATE (mostly dresden, with perhaps a little bit of SotC thrown in) for a Deadlands game.  ;D

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
A friend of mine is just starting to use FATE (mostly dresden, with perhaps a little bit of SotC thrown in) for a Deadlands game.  ;D

Cool. I could see that working pretty well. Good setting, mind the Reckoners... :D

Speaking on the topic, it occurred to me last light to think about San Francisco China Town, and sure enough a few folks have put some work into Big Trouble in Little China settings and characters.

I can not convey in words the warm fuzziness that gives me.   :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:44:45 PM by Set Abominae »
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
I have my players working up Star Wars characters right now using DFRPG/FATE.  No Jedi or Force-users; it's a smuggler/pirate/bounty-hunter/merc type game set in Hutt Space during the Empire.  So far, no real issues.  The only debate I've been having involves how to handle something like Mandolorian Armor.  Two of my players are wanting to be mandolorians (twin sisters) and I'm torn between making the armor a IoP or just treat it like normal equipment.  Sure, I could model the flamethrower as a Breath Weapon on an IoP; but how is it any different from a normal player picking up a regular flamethrower or such.  Besides that the Mandolorian Armor costs refresh.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
I have my players working up Star Wars characters right now using DFRPG/FATE.  No Jedi or Force-users; it's a smuggler/pirate/bounty-hunter/merc type game set in Hutt Space during the Empire.  So far, no real issues.  The only debate I've been having involves how to handle something like Mandolorian Armor.  Two of my players are wanting to be mandolorians (twin sisters) and I'm torn between making the armor a IoP or just treat it like normal equipment.  Sure, I could model the flamethrower as a Breath Weapon on an IoP; but how is it any different from a normal player picking up a regular flamethrower or such.  Besides that the Mandolorian Armor costs refresh.

You could make the Armor an Aspect (you want to with an IoP anyway) which they can Invoke with a FP for the occasional extra functionality.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
You could make the Armor an Aspect (you want to with an IoP anyway) which they can Invoke with a FP for the occasional extra functionality.

Devonapple beat me to it for the most part.

My view is simple: since Mandalorian Armor is rather rare by the time the Empire is in full swing, I'd argue that the player needs some sort of back story ties (i.e. a suitable Aspect relating to it), a rather high resources rating (with or without stunts), or purchase it as an IoP (which isn't fair/balanced in my opinion).

Mandalorian Armor is, for the most part, very well crafted and often custom fitted/designed armor that grants protection, ease of movement and versatile options in combat. You could just simply state that, if the character has the Aspect or Resources to do it, it simply "has" whatever is designed into it and go from there.

Just my two cents.

Although, now I'm curious: how would you handle Force-Based characters? Would you simply make it Kinetomancy (and lump Force Lightning into it) with certain thematic aspects of Thaumaturgy (Biomancy, for starters), or did you have a different idea?

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
To be honest, I haven't worked up a complete solution for Force-users.  Largely, though, I would model it very closely to what exists for magic in the DFRPG system.  Including Thaum for the more complex things (plenty of that in the cannon).  I would expand Evocation a bit, though, to handle certain things like Biomancy and allow for more physical related uses.

The Aspect route is easy enough to do as both the characters already have those aspects.  Hmmm... will have to think about this some more.  Thanks for the new idea/approach.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
I have allways wondered how you would stat Imperial Stormtrooper Amour in the films it seems to do nothing but slow down Imperial Soliders but I assume that was because they were up against hero's. I think that in a party full of imperials (playing clones could be fun possibly) the Imperial Armour should have an armour rating and one that is quite high.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
I have allways wondered how you would stat Imperial Stormtrooper Amour in the films it seems to do nothing but slow down Imperial Soliders but I assume that was because they were up against hero's. I think that in a party full of imperials (playing clones could be fun possibly) the Imperial Armour should have an armour rating and one that is quite high.
I'm told you see Rebels dying from blaster bolts exploding on walls next to them, but Stormtroopers only die on direct hits...

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
Stormtrooper armor only gives an Armor rating if PCs wear it.  If NPCs wear it it actually increases the damage dealt.  :)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »
Stormtrooper armor only gives an Armor rating if PCs wear it.  If NPCs wear it it actually increases the damage dealt.  :)

LMAO

Thanks. Now I know what it feels like to have iced tea in my sinuses.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
Sorry 'bout that.  :)  But in all seriousness, my group played Star Wars games in just about every system and "Stormtrooper armor only counts as armor for PCs" was one of the common house rules across all our campaigns.

Why do the Stormtroopers wear it, then?  Simple.  Everybody thinks they're the star of their own story.  It's just that a lot of them are plain wrong.  :)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
Sorry 'bout that.  :)  But in all seriousness, my group played Star Wars games in just about every system and "Stormtrooper armor only counts as armor for PCs" was one of the common house rules across all our campaigns.

Why do the Stormtroopers wear it, then?  Simple.  Everybody thinks they're the star of their own story.  It's just that a lot of them are plain wrong.  :)

ROFL

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

You just keep winning!

Now I have tea in my lungs.