Author Topic: Non-Standard Settings?  (Read 10126 times)

Offline GM_Withdrawal

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Standard Settings?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
I honestly think the system is solid and flexible enough that it could work with a large number of other roleplaying game settings with relatively minor tweaks. I have plans to use the system to run games set in Deadlands, Shadowrun, and the various World of Darkness lines. The use of aspects and fate chips to cover things that would require complicated mechanics in other systems makes the game really appealing.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
I honestly think the system is solid and flexible enough that it could work with a large number of other roleplaying game settings with relatively minor tweaks. I have plans to use the system to run games set in Deadlands, Shadowrun, and the various World of Darkness lines. The use of aspects and fate chips to cover things that would require complicated mechanics in other systems makes the game really appealing.

I've had that same observation, which is making me like FATE more and more. It works on fluid abstractions that make it very adaptable and easy to manage.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
I think it'd be fun/funny if someone where to run a D&D campaign using fate mechanics and then report their findings. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
I think it'd be fun/funny if someone where to run a D&D campaign using fate mechanics and then report their findings. :)

I'm skeptical, especially since D&D is heavily rule-based.  Magic has very specific damage and applications.  Spellcasters last a lot longer in battle as well.  It some sense, DFRPG is more "realistic" in the sense it has stress and consequences.  It'd be a very different game from standard D&D.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
I'm skeptical, especially since D&D is heavily rule-based.  Magic has very specific damage and applications.  Spellcasters last a lot longer in battle as well.  It some sense, DFRPG is more "realistic" in the sense it has stress and consequences.  It'd be a very different game from standard D&D.

Oh no, we wouldnt want that now would we?  ;)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
Yes, IF you were using DFRPG.  There's Legends of Anglerre, which is a much more fantasy-focused FATE variant and I imagine it would do D&D quite well.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:17 AM »
I'm skeptical, especially since D&D is heavily rule-based.
Which version number?

The current (read 2nd - 4th ed) are pretty rules heavy, however the genre is not the system.  Though I'm not sure FATE lends itself well to a genre that has a heavy reliance on Equipment that is not exactly part and parcel of the character's power track.

Specifically in 2nd ed and earlier, the genre style is set with Equipment not being tracked in character's power progression, thus it leads to a different feel.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:32 AM »
The game I'm in now had us travel to a part of the Never Never that worked much like Forgotten Realms and it seemed to work out fairly well for the games we were there for.

Spells were the only issue but with the huge number of spells in all the supplements across D&D - D&D 4th ed (which I do not think feels like any other D&DI played - blech)...that isn't really so bad.

Killing fantasy monsters with no moral dillemna was fun for a game or two.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
Yes, IF you were using DFRPG.  There's Legends of Anglerre, which is a much more fantasy-focused FATE variant and I imagine it would do D&D quite well.
As someone who has both Starblazer Adventures and Legends of Anglerre, I can attest that they are both very good games. I've used Starblazer to run a Babylon 5 game and I've just competed a Legends of Anglerre game in a Celtic fantasy setting of my own devising. They are much closer to the Spirit of the Century game though than DFRPG. They have the two stress tracks and numerous stunts of the SotC game.

Have the games up on Google Docs if anyone is interested.
Babylon 5: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3OGRiMGZjNmYtOTU1NS00YWNiLTg0OGMtOWE2ZGZjYzcwNmQ1&hl=en
Celtic Legends: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B75Lr5C1Hpx3MzQxYzBiOWUtYmI1NC00NDlhLTkzMWEtM2ViZTgwMzdjY2Rl&hl=en
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline qfdies

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
Hey, new guy chiming in.  Has any one tried a setting like the "Advesary" series by F Paul Wilson. Or the Repairman Jack books.  I liked to see someone stat up Jack.  He ranks up there with Harry as favorite character :)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
While I'm not sure it would make for a full-fledged setting, I watched The Shadow again last night (been a while since I'd seen it), and some of its themes would I think work pretty well in a DFRPG/FATE application.

Come to think of it, it actually probably would fit the DF fairly well if you had your game set during the 50's.

Tibetan magic, fighting the forces of darkness from the shadows, Penelope Ann Miller in a gorgeous silver dress...ahem...what was I talking about?  :-[
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 03:04:08 AM »
The only issue I can see with other settings is that they might demand another way of buying powers than refresh - the "humans have free will, supernaturals have a nature" doesn't go for everything.  But that's easy enough to implement.

My first post.  Hi everyone.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »
I considered trying to mix Harry Potter with DFRP though the balance of the 1 hit kill curse kind of ruined that for me. I considered do several cross overs with DFRP but usually I figured out that the Wardens would probably kill the other types of Magicians.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
New thought/question for those who are planning or are already using the DFRPG in a non-standard setting:

How do you rule the use of magical or enhanced items?

In D&D and other fantasy settings, magical weapons that have special powers can be a dime a dozen, and are often rewards for the player for either an amazing deed (like the noble's wizard gifting a ring to protect the wearing) or just plain looting (finding that awesome magic sword after killing the dragon). With that in mind, would you still use the IoP rules and make the player pay Fate Points for something they earned as a reward, or did you have a better way of balancing this?

Also, for those of you who mentioned Deadlands: how are you doing Weird Science conception, creation, and usage rules? Would those items just be considered mundane with an automatic chance to be hexed, or do they have something more behind them?

Just some food for thought!

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
Here's a question for those how played around Legends of Anglerre - how does the magic system compare to the DFRPG one?

Richard