Author Topic: Spare Character Concepts  (Read 83485 times)

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spare Character Concepts
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
You might want to look at this.

I have seen that, and that would do exactly what my 2 refresh combo of Holy Touch + I Kill With My Heart does. I know it is probably not OP, but I am not sure if my GM will allow it, since it is clearly just better than the book version. I will talk to him.

If he says it is OK to take the improved Holy Touch I will need to come up with a different [-1] power to call I Kill With My Heart, which may or may not end up attached to his IoP (I want the character to have all three parts of that motto as powers).

Looks reasonable to me. Does he get the standard +1 Athletics to his sprint rolls?

Yes, I intended him to get the +1 to all Athletics rolls from the Athletic Ability trapping (which would apply to sprinting), and just give up the extra +1 to Sprinting and the Stealth bonus in exchange for the Quick Hands trapping (which is essentially a Guns stunt, similar to a Quick Draw custom stunt I saw floating around here actually).

I was most worried that I Shoot With My Mind could be a bit strong, since it gives two extra attack options and opens up the option of doing AoE (which is noticeably strong in this game). On the other hand, the Zone attack is basically exactly what Channeling would allow (without the benefit of getting to crazy weapon ratings and having focus items). And while the Spray attack aggregate bonus could be huge (+6 bonus in the case where he hits 6 targets), the Spray attack option is generally crappy, and getting the big bonus requires splitting your attacks so many ways that each individual one is fairly weak (though I can imagine the case where he shoots 3 Vampires at Great, Great and Good, each with Weapon 5 as being pretty good). I think [-2] is an appropriate costs for this sort of thing since it opens up whole extra avenues and comes close to playing with the action economy. Good to hear you think it is OK.

Ya I expected that Righteousness: Potent Prayer should stack with other bonuses in a nice way, but the rules are not clear on that.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very valuable as always.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2015, 07:52:12 AM »
All Might (Scuba Diving)

This guy's from My Hero Academia, a new-ish manga that I really like. Might not make much sense if you don't know the story, but there's an easy way to fix that...read it.

Not totally sure about the Aspects.

High Concept: The Symbol Of Peace
Trouble Aspect: Secretly Grievously Wounded
Other Aspects: Teacher At Yuuei; Midoriya, My Boy!; I AM HERE!; Oafish But Responsible, One For All And All For One
Skills:
Fantastic: Presence, Might
Superb: Athletics, Endurance
Great: Contacts, Discipline
Good: Conviction, Rapport
Fair: Empathy, Performance, Stealth
Average: Scholarship, Intimidation, Resources
Stunts:
The Weight Of Reputation (Presence): Use Presence to intimidate people who know his reputation.
A Smile That Hides Fear (Presence): Use Presence instead of Deceit to hide his weaknesses, his fears, and the true nature of his power.
Brute Force (Might): Use Might to attack unarmed.
Powers:
Limitation (Can only stay in powered form for about 90 minutes each day) [+5]
  Marked By Power [-1]
  Imprecise Selective Area Weaponry [-2]
  Mythic Strength [-6]
  Supernatural Speed [-4]
  Supernatural Toughness [-4]
  Superhuman Acrobatics [-1]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
Will the Mythic Strength bump that Might score up to a +9 (nine)?  Why is his Fists a +0 (Mediocre)?  If someone makes a maneuver/Feint on him using Fists, will he use his default Fists score of +0 (Mediocre) to defend or challenge?  The implication of the Stunt "Brute Force" implies that great strength confers great skill.

My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
Will the Mythic Strength bump that Might score up to a +9 (nine)?

No. Strength doesn't add to all Might rolls, just to lifting and breaking and grappling. It also adds to non-Might rolls when Might modifies the skill, but Might doesn't modify his attacks.

Why is his Fists a +0 (Mediocre)?

Because Fists does nothing for him. Giving him Fists would be like leaving a skill slot blank.

If someone makes a maneuver/Feint on him using Fists, will he use his default Fists score of +0 (Mediocre) to defend or challenge?

No. You don't have to use Fists to defend against Fists maneuvers.

The implication of the Stunt "Brute Force" implies that great strength confers great skill.

I don't think so. It's a stunt, so it doesn't necessarily imply anything about people who don't have it. And it doesn't give All Might great fighting skill, just very effective attacks.

Actually, even a high Fists skill doesn't necessarily imply great skill with your fists. Look at Sue the zombie dinosaur.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 05, 2015, 12:50:50 AM »
No. Strength doesn't add to all Might rolls, just to lifting and breaking and grappling. It also adds to non-Might rolls when Might modifies the skill, but Might doesn't modify his attacks.

Because Fists does nothing for him. Giving him Fists would be like leaving a skill slot blank.

No. You don't have to use Fists to defend against Fists maneuvers.

I don't think so. It's a stunt, so it doesn't necessarily imply anything about people who don't have it. And it doesn't give All Might great fighting skill, just very effective attacks.

Actually, even a high Fists skill doesn't necessarily imply great skill with your fists. Look at Sue the zombie dinosaur.
  Since his Mythic Strength will not affect his Fists score (arguably the most worrisome point for me), I might let the rest stand.  That said, would such a character be allowed to use his Might/Fists to make Assessments and Declarations at a +6?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:06 AM »
He has the same ability to assess and declare with Might as everyone else does. Which is not a lot.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 06, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
Okay, I guess I misunderstood some of the concepts and how'd they work.  I was afraid I was looking at a Fists:9/Weapons:6 character (which is a bit overpowered IMO).  My apologies.