Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 242619 times)

Offline bryan@jonesengineers.us

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »
Didn't see the show. My foster-daughter shared them with me. Kids are great.

Offline csee8222

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
I love the books in spite of the show. Wasn't covered in your poll options.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Saw the show, checked out my local Waterstones, splashed out on the first six books immediately.  Never looked back. ;D

Offline Andris

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 03, 2011, 12:50:06 AM »
funny thing, but I'm a big James Marsters fan.. and google told me, hes reading Jim's books - did I ever had a chance to resist the urge to get more info?
so, here I am, having all 11 novels on my smartphone/mp3 player - as a sort of "zen for every day" excercise... and running out of stuff to read/listen while waiting for Ghost Story,

btw, for all the paper back readers - check it out, in my humble opinion, James Marsters (aka Spike from Buffy, for the TV series challenged) did absolutely fantastic reading and, seems like, enjoy it a lot.

and, if we go into the dark side - Jim and his books did help me to get over the probably my worst (2010) year in my whole life since I realized myself as a huNam being.

just a big "Thank You!" and  very deep bow - I know it may not seem like a lot, but its from the living heart!

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 18, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
My wife and I are both sadly never heard of the books until we saw the TV show. We thought the previews on SyLy was interesting. We were looking for a new series because our obsessions at the time one was not coming out fast enough in book form (Kim Harrison's Hollow Series) & Hamilton destroying her Anita Blake series.

I grabbed the first book and the rest is history. We devoured all the books up to White Knight in that summer. We became huge fans. It is really bad here we now get them on audio then buy the paperbacks. We cannot contain our excitement when one is reading and the wife is a slow reader. So we listen to books now which is really good. Helps also when we have long trips or nothing is on (since TV is mostly crap now adays).

Sipping and cuddling listening to the books. With what happened in Changes no way could we have kept that in when the other was reading. It was a shock.

This has become our most series and books. Hell when the RPG came out we jumped at getting it and playing. I ran a campaign now I am playing in a new one.

This is one of my favorite series (and it is the top series for me). I even love the supporting cast. Not one bad character in my honest opinion.

Now we have a little girl and she is listening to Dresden! Every story well written and I have reread or listened to them over and over again. Always catching something new or going over something new.

Offline Target, shoot me

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:34 PM »
I heard of the show, got interested and started reading the books. The first Dresden I read was Proven Guilty. I was lucky in that you can jump into the Dresdenverse a few books in, and didn't really have any trouble keeping up with the story, getting to know the characters was breeze as well, Jim's just awesome like that. I read them all in order after falling in love with the snark.  :)
"We're boys. And what do boys say in the face of danger?"
"..."
"Mummy." - Dr. Who a Christmas Carol

Offline Razil

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
I first read Storm Front about six months before the show airred. I only found out about the show because of Eureka. And I continue to love the books despite how awful the show was. Horribly adapted, horribly miscast.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:17 AM »
I've never seen the show. A friend recommended the series to me a couple years ago. At the time I was working at a place that was ridiculously over-staffed, so after getting hooked I was able to read the next five or six books in a week, all from a quiet corner in the back storage room.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline dantesparadise

• Conversationalist
  • Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
    • View Profile
    • Lost: Midnight Mist Preview
« Reply #503 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:29 PM »
i discovered jim based on the show but i've tried to make up for it by reading from SF to WN (which was the most recent at the time) in marathon fashion.  Got through them all before Small Favor even came out.  Then I hooked two of my friends on the books like three-eye.
I died.  There was no life flashing before my eyes.  There were no harps.  There were no white robes.  There was no land of milk and honey.  There were no wings…

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 23, 2011, 03:01:49 AM »
A friend of mine recomended the series to me before the TV series aired.  I watched a few episodes and enjoyed them but still did not crack open abook.  My Wife even bought me White Knight back in '08 but it sat on my shelf for three years.  I read the Codex Alera lat year and loved it.  I found the inclination to read "Ghost Story" two months ago, then overspent my book budget buying the rest of the series and devouring it over a two week period.  I am impatient for "Ghost Story" to be published, but as a Robert Jordan fan I am much pleased at how prolific Jim Butcher is as a writer.  My wife and friends know me better than I know myself.
What is the skid pad rating and 0-60 time on a zombie t-Rex?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 06, 2011, 03:50:31 AM »
I didn't watch the show, but saw the advertisements.  It was already cancelled by the time I noticed the books in the book store.  And one day when I ran out of other things to read, I picked up the first book, finished it, went back got the second, and so on and so on. 

Offline KataniKoneko

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 06, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »
I had never heard of the books before my senior year in English. I had just finished a mediochre book in the middle of 'Silent Reading Time' and was hungry for something better. I picked up the second book (dang you Mr. Butcher for not numbering the OUTSIDE of the books!) and was completely confused, but entertained. Had to buy the rest of the series.

Offline cmprostreet

• Participant
  • Klaus the Toymaker's Business Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 17, 2011, 03:32:59 AM »
My wife recommended the show to me after she randomly came across it while surfing.  I enjoyed the show, and my customary Googling of everything interesting to me revealed that it was also a book series.  I bought SF through DM, devoured them, then went back and got the rest.  SmF came out in paperback right when I caught up to it.  In the meantime, my wife, my brother-in-law, my brother, and some of his friends have all been hooked.  I'm on my third re-read of the series waiting for GS now, and I've been lurking on these forums since sometime in 2009.

Offline Cody

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 22, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
None of the options above apply to me. I picked up the books years ago and watched the TV show for maybe 3 episodes before it ticked me off too much and I had to stop.  They changed way too much and I don't mind some things being changed but too much means its not part of the books anymore - its brand new.

::)  I still love the books though despite the TV show and can't wait for Ghost Story.

Offline CrabbyRat

• Participant
  • I Ron Nickel
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 05, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
Watched a few eps of the TV show, had my geek friends who read the books and named their cats "Harry" and "Murphy" tell me about them for years.  I had to get my Kindle before I read them - book print is too small for bad eyes. 
"I love deadlines.  I love the sound they make when they go whizzing by."  Douglas Adams